Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Three (edit-make that FOUR) Ohioans selected to represent Team USA in the Dapper Dan Classic
Steve Lester added to this discussion on January 30, 2010

Just noticed that Jamie Clark is listed as the USA rep at 130 according to the wrestling classic (Dapper Dan) website. He joins St. Eds teammate Nick Sulzer (160) and Monroeville's Logan Stieber (125) on the all-star team. Congratulations to them. The PA team will not be known until after their state series (I believe).

The Dapper Dan is a great show and well worth the 2 hour drive (or longer).

Last edited by Steve Lester on March 14, 2010; edited 1 time in total

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Discussion Topic: Three (edit-make that FOUR) Ohioans selected to represent Team USA in the Dapper Dan Classic
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 30, 2010

You renting a limo?

Josh Lowe added to this discussion on January 30, 2010

The whole team:

112- Ryak Finch (double Fargo champ this past summer @ 112, wrestling 119 in-season primarily b/c it's closer to college 125 and he has no incentive to drop down)

119- BJ Suitor (3x state champ, only 2 losses in his career). I personally think they could have picked a better senior; but the DD likes the record and state titles.

125- LOGAN STIEBER!

130- JAMIE CLARK!

135- Ryan Nieman (2x state champ, JN FS AA)

140- Chris Villalonga (3x National Prep champ, has not lost a match since late December 2006)

145- Joe Cozart (JN double AA - wrestling 152 this season)

152- Jackson Morse (2x Super32 champion, 2x state champion)

160- NICK SULZER!

171- Nick Visicaro (JN FS AA, NHSCA Jr champ, state champ, Beast runner-up; wrestling 160 this year)

189- Michael Evans (JN double AA, undefeated this season at Blair with wins over seven nationally ranked opponents; was at Cumberland Valley PA up until this year)

215- Trevor Rupp (JN double AA)

285- Bobby Telford (state champ, BOE champ 2008/runner-up 2009)

NY v WPIAL should be a solid undercard if the NY team is picked "properly"

Sulzer is looking at a match with Peppelman, Cowburn, or Hess in my opinion.

Stieber is probably looking at a kid like Mitchell Port - NHSCA Jr champ, multi-time Super32 placer, win over Devin Carter this year

Clark is looking at I'm not really sure whom - unless it's a 135 coming down, it's a kid he'd be favored to beat.

My plan is to make the trip this year. I made the trip three years ago when Ohio was on the undercard and considered it a privilige (spell check?) to watch such great wrestling.

Pat Costilow added to this discussion on January 30, 2010

Josh,

Any clue as to who PA would take at 285? Would they take the PA native but prep wrestler McMullen or the PIAA wrestler Evan Craig. Either are great options- I would love to see them wrestle eachother. We have already seen a great McMullen-Telford match this year. Telford has a ton of upside. As big as he is, he wrestles like a guy who was a 135 three years ago. Iowa could be a very good place for him.

I would like to see how Sulzer hangs with Peppelman. I think it would be a lot better than most of the national/PA people would expect. Peppelman has seemed a little bit too passive in the matches I have seen from him this year against tough opponents.

Port actually beat Carter by a larger margin than Stieber did, 11-4. That being said, Stieber likely steamrolls him, too. I just don't see anybody hanging too close with Logan.

Is Sherlock out? He and Clark could match up. I thought he had gotten hurt a few weeks ago, but can't really remember.

I would be shocked to see Cozart at 145 after watching his Cheesehead matches. Then again, the DD is known for being pretty lenient with weight.

Josh Lowe added to this discussion on January 30, 2010

Sherlock is out for the year - that's why I no longer have ranked him in the national weight class rankings. However, he is ranked as a c/o 2010 prospect (those are subscriber only content).

Steve Lester added to this discussion on January 31, 2010

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"You renting a limo?"

Haha. Actually, twice I was up in Pittsburgh on the Saturday before the DD and spent the night.

Ohio (Cleveland) should do something like the DD with NEDAB selecting a senior all-star squad for an "undercard".

Steve Lester added to this discussion on March 14, 2010

According to the Dapper Dan Website, they have found a different112.....

How about TY MITCH!!!!

Ohio now has 4 reps on the team.

Josh Lowe added to this discussion on March 14, 2010

Steve:

That's at 119 where Mitch will be. Suitor never could come back from his injury and did not compete in his state tournament - hence the finding of an alternate (which was Mitch).

Two of the four Ohio matchups are intriguing, two of them are not - though all will be part of a great event!

Sulzer faces Marshall Peppleman, ranked as the nation's best in the weight.

Stieber - ranked #1 in the nation at his weight - faces a top five in the nation Mitchell Port in his match. Port beat Horan for the state title, which inflicts Horan with 3x runner-up status heading into his senior year; he also knocked off Devin Carter at the Powerade.

Mitch faces state runner-up Anthony Marino from Bethlehem Liberty. Marino will be a bigger kid, as he went 125 earlier in the season -- where he failed to place at the Beast. The better wrestler - in my opinion - at 119 is Mike Rhone, who PA dropped to 112 to face Finch.

Clark draws Joe Spisak, earning his elusive state title with a win over Frank Martellotti. If Clark wrestles to his ability - or close to it - this is a "non-contest".

Brian Morrow added to this discussion on March 15, 2010

I will take Logan against anyone in nation...He could AA in the NCAA tournment this yr. Call me crazy but I believe it with everything in me.

Steve Lester added to this discussion on March 15, 2010

Thanks Bucksman,
Meant to write 119, not sure why 112 came out.

I'm also intrigued by the Sulzer-Peppleman match. They had a one point battle at Disney, though we hear that Peppleman tends to wrestle closer matches than his PA stud brethren. Has anyone picked up as game as much as Sulzer this year?

At any rate, I wouldn't rule out anything. Funny things happen at the Dapper Dan. There are gremlins in the rafters at the Fitzgerald Fieldhouse.

J.P. Barner added to this discussion on March 15, 2010

Quote from Steve Lester's post:

"Thanks Bucksman,
Meant to write 119, not sure why 112 came out.

I'm also intrigued by the Sulzer-Peppleman match. They had a one point battle at Disney, though we hear that Peppleman tends to wrestle closer matches than his PA stud brethren. Has anyone picked up as game as much as Sulzer this year?

At any rate, I wouldn't rule out anything. Funny things happen at the Dapper Dan. There are gremlins in the rafters at the Fitzgerald Fieldhouse."

Here's the full PA line-up...
http://www.wrestlingclassic.com/2010/PA_2010_Team.pdf

Best lineup PA has had in years - Marino at 119 wrestled Megaludis (a junior, one loss in two years, 2x state champ) tough; and from 135 to 160 all are rated at the very top of the national rankings. Dziewa going to Iowa, Kindig to OkSt, Altons to PSU, Peppleman to Cornel...
Callender (Drexel) at 189 is really good, as is Myers at 215 and Craig is a two time state champ at heavy. I would think Logan and Jamie will win, and I would expect Evans to win at 189 but it will be interesting to see how many other victories the American team gets. Villalonga/Kindig at 140 should be special.
And Peppleman wrestles everyone close. .

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 15, 2010

The DD has set up a bit as an Ohio v PA dual.

The question with Jamie Clark is one of health. He had surgery on his shoulder and appeared to injure it again in his flukey loss to that tough frosh. If he's healthy, we all know how talented Clark is. If he's not 100% then the advantage goes to PA. I assume if Clark is competing then the shoulder's OK.

Sulzer v Peppelman is a terrific matchup. Peppelman is solid all around and a master at winning close matches with tough opponents. The keys for Sulzer will be to get an early takedown so Peppelman can't get too comfortable. Secondly, he'll need to escape if he takes down. Like most PA studs, Peppelman is very solid on top.

I'm very impressed with Stieber and he's earned his accolades but success at 121 in freestyle is not the same as competing at 125 in college. While I am confident he'll win in the DD, it's not so clear to me that he's a "shoo-in" to AA next season. Dustin Schlatter made the world team at 165 pounds and was promptly beaten in collegiate style by Alex Meade. Stieber is a power wrestler and college wrestling is a power sport. Few high school studs AA as true frosh. Stieber may be special but the list of superb hs wrestlers that don't AA as true frosh is much larger than the list of those who do.

Mitch makes a nice addition to the great Ohio seniors competing. Still, it's hard to beat PA on their home mat. 50-50 as to his outcome.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on March 15, 2010

Quote from Brian Morrow's post:

"I will take Logan against anyone in nation...He could AA in the NCAA tournment this yr. Call me crazy but I believe it with everything in me."

I once asked a VERY REPUTABLE source what he thought Logan could do at the college level...

His answer was that Logan could be a 4x finalist. Upon my astonished quesiton of Really!? He said yes... Even if he started four months ago (which meant the March of his junior year.)

All to which I said, well, you know talent better than I do so I will defer to your expertise.

I can't wait to see how he does!

Steve Lester added to this discussion on March 15, 2010

I, for one, don't want the gremlins to get to Logan at the DD. They seem to take a disliking to certain wrestlers. For instance they almost got to Brent Metcalf when he wrestled Matt Dragon, who was a whisker away from a winning TD at the buzzer.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on March 15, 2010

going back many years, the dark cavernous walls of Fitzgerald fieldhouse at U of Pitt have seen many future NCAA champs on the USA team lose in the DD.

need USA team kids who take it very seriously because PA kids do-- i think all 4 ohio kids do so they should represent well, maybe not win but wrestle well. ---Fact is going back 20 years to the late 80s very very few Ohioans have lost in the DD. s/BobP

► Add to the Discussion