Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Tough match for the Buckeyes v. Indiana
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 31, 2010

OSU takes on the Hoosiers today at 2pm in a tough road dual. IU matches up well with Ohio State and is coming off a big win v. Illinois on Friday. I can imagine that for the Hoosiers this dual represents a huge opportunity. I expect them to be pumped and to wrestle hard.

125: Escobedo v. Triggas -- Escobedo is a wizard on his feet. Hopefully Triggas can limit it to a decision. 3-0 IU

133: Ortega v. Paddock -- I like how well Paddock wrestled Friday night. Another effort like that is probably good enough for the win but it's hardly a lock. If this match goes to IU--and it could--this dual will be hard to win.
3-3

141: Monaco v. Humphrey -- Bucks need a TF or pin. I look for the TF. 8-3

149: Coughlin v. Palmer -- Palmer wins a dec. 11-3

157: Kinser v. Jameson -- #6 ranked Kinser can be brutal with his upperbody locks/headlock. Jameson is either going to give him a very hard time by doing what he does best--countering out of trouble--or he's going to get bead bad. I doubt we'll see anything in between. Just to be fair, let's hope for the best but give a MD to IU. 11-7

165: Young v. Sponseller -- Young is kind of a poor man's Colt--aggressive and hard working the whole bout. Sponseller should win but a major can't be counted upon. 14-7

174: Perry v. Rella -- Perry has struggled this season but he and Rella have been close in the past. It would help a lot if Rella took it to him early so as not to give Perry any reason to feel good about himself. 17-7

184: Cameron v. Pucillo -- Cameron has had a much better season than in the past but Iron Mike has crushed him in previous encounters. Let's call it a MD for Ohio State. 21-7

197: Powless v. Magrum -- Powless has some quality wins this year but he's not consistently good. Still, he has to be considered the favorite here although a Magrum upset would not be a shock. 21-10

285: Everhart v. Morrison -- Everhart has shot up the 285 rankings to #2. Morrison has competed well with him in the past and has quality efforts against high ranked guys like Rey and Zabriskie. Everhart has to be favored but Morrison can compete well in this matchup. 21-13

On paper it looks solid for Ohio State but there are trouble spots. Jameson could get pinned; and how will Triggas respond against Escobedo after such a disappointing effort v. Purdue? I've installed Paddock as a mild favorite but that might reflect a bias. Rella is having a better season than Perry but duals can be tough wins for even heavy favorites under certain circumstances. Rella rarely blows out opponents and often looks for a late score to ice a win. On the road against a capable Perry that could prove dangerous. Bottom line is that Ohio State will need an excellent effort to avoid the upset.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Clint Sponseller added to this discussion on January 31, 2010

The Ohio State University over Indiana University 22-13
125 pounds: #1 Angel Escobedo (IU) md. #18 Nikko Triggas (OSU) 15-5
133 pounds: Ian Paddock (OSU) dec. Matt Ortega (IU) 6-5
141 pounds: #2 Reece Humphrey (OSU) md. Nick Viterisi (IU) 17-6
149 pounds: #3 Lance Palmer (OSU) md. Matt Coughlin (IU) 11-0
157 pounds: #6 Kurt Kinser (IU) dec. Sean Nemec (OSU) 8-5
165 pounds: #7 Colt Sponseller (OSU) dec. #13 Paul Young (IU) 5-1
174 pounds: #12 David Rella (OSU) dec. Trevor Perry (IU) 8-3
184 pounds: #8 Mike Pucillo (OSU) tf. Eric Cameron (IU) 17-2
197 pounds: Matt Powless (IU) dec. C.J. Magrum (OSU) 4-0
285 pounds: #2 Nate Everhart (IU) dec. Corey Morrison (OSU) 2-0

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 31, 2010

I don't know why they even wrestled. All they needed to do was let me write it out on paper. My only mistake was not recognizing how easily Rella would win. Great job, Dave.

Kidding aside, this is a good road win for the Bucks over one of the better IU squads in many years.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on January 31, 2010

For some reason, Rella has Perry's number. I remember last year Perry was ranked ahead of Dave & Dave beat him. Nice win for the Bucs. I thought it would be closer. Again, freshman Paddock wins!. Nemec gave Kinser a tough match last year, so I guess they figured they had the best chance at 157 with him today. With Kinser being a very physical guy, I would have put Nemec in there. Colt beat a tough guy in Young. Reece, Lance & Mike looked like they are on a roll. Wish they would have broadcast the meet.
Thanks, Clint, for the update.

J.P. Barner added to this discussion on January 31, 2010

He's proving to be a real solid 133, even though a true freshman. Kudos to Ryan for his recruitment - frankly, the videos I have seen of him in HS did not give me the feeling he could be immediately successful at this level.

Guess Ryan knows a little more about wrestling than I do - who would have ever guessed? :)

Jack Muni added to this discussion on January 31, 2010

I was reading the Indiana U. website & it said Morrison was ridden out the entire 3rd period in a 2-0 loss. That means #2 Everhart got an escape and another riding time point. That's what separates Corey from the #2 guy, an escape! They also said Nemec had a 5-2 lead into the 3rd period. Sounds like he almost pulled off the upset.
BTW, I saw #2 Ruschell of Wisc. got beat today by Molinaro of Penn St. This should push Lance up a slot. Is the seating for the Big Ten more weighted by what you do in the Big Ten (i.e. Paddock whose losses are to non-Big Ten opponents) or is it more your overall performance during the year?

► Add to the Discussion