Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next

Discussion Topic: Whaddya Do With Weakley?
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on October 26, 2007

John Weakley defeated Zach Weinrich, 10-8, in what appears to have been a spirited battle.

Is he now your starter? Or do you redshirt him?

I think it's a dilema for the coaches. Clearly, Weakley has talent and has responded well to coaching. But, the big ten is brutal--particularly on upper wt true frosh.

Weinrich may not be as gifted on his feet as Weakley. But one would hope that as an upperclassman with a few years under his belt, he'd be able to give you a solid effort at this weight.

So, whaddya do? Do you start the very best kid? Or do you hold him out for a year, get him ready, and give your upperclassman a shot to show what he can do?

One thing to keep in mind--neither is a likely AA candidate yet. So, what you're really talking about right now is who can help you more in dual meets.

Another point: Michigan went 1-7 in Big Ten duals last year but finished 6th in the country. How much do duals matter?

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Brendan Moody added to this discussion on October 26, 2007

I hear a lot of college coaches say that duals are not nearly as important to them as conference tournaments and national tournaments. With that said, I would like to see Weakley red-shirted, but it is not for me to say. If the coaches are confident that he can get to NCAAs and win at least one bout, then it might be worth having him in the line-up.

Al McIntosh added to this discussion on October 26, 2007

Good question Hank,

I coached John along with Don Lorence, so obviously I'm a little biased. However I talked with John a day before his wrestle off and he had a great attitude. He has put absolutely no pressure on himself with being concerned with the outcome of the match nor the decisions of the coaching staff. He will do whatever coach Ryan asks him to, and is prepared to help the team anyway he can, either by redshirting or starting if the opportunity presents.

Before it was known about J.D. going heavyweight it was a foregone conclusion that he would redshirt. Clearly that has changed, in part because John won his wrestle off. I personally feel that John would benefit greatly from a redshirt year as would any freshmen, however the real issue is can he help the Buckeyes win now, and can he score points (win a match or two) at the NCAA level now, or at least by the end of the season. That's an assessment the coaching staff will need to answer in the new few weeks. What I do know is that whatever the coaches decide, John is totally cool with it.

Mike Hojnacki added to this discussion on October 26, 2007

Having wrestled alongside John in high school, I think he wrestles his absolute best when he doesn't have anything to prove or protect (this applies to all wrestlers). After hearing of his goes with Coach Thatcher and Pucillo, he might do well going in with nothing to lose as opposed to redshirting and gauging himself against other guys after a year. But a year of knocking heads at the college level could also be beneficial. Regardless of what we think, Tom Ryan is shooting for a team national title and I believe that he and the coaching staff will make the right decision in regards to how John fits into that. If that means Weakley redshirts, then he redshirts. It's not like this is the Bucks last chance to go for an NCAA title; they are going to be a program to be reckoned with for years to come. Good luck to John and the Buckeyes!

Cliff Cahill added to this discussion on October 27, 2007

Neither has any varsity experience and both need varsity experience for development and focus so no red shirting. It was apparent their is no skill or intensity difference. And, given the history of injuries the team does not need the burden of an empty weight class especially this year with maybe as many has 4 freshman starters. I assume it makes no difference on money since both were recruited for the same weight class. The winner of wrestle off starts and then you go from there as to who starts from one situation to another. When one needs a break for books or is banked up or an intense special week training period is desired then the other starts same as in other sports with substitutions. Why else recruit two in same weight class with same experience level. From what I saw at the wrestle offs both guys have the physical strength and speed and intensity to be a pleasant surprise going into the tournament time and can only help drive the other non letter men during the season. Nothing gained with a red shirt and even a risk with one just going through the motions in a red shirt setting in the stands and the other with an automatic start thus reducing the sharp edge of both.

I seriously doubt they will go only with one 125 pounder and red shirt all the others. Do you think they will red shirt Nemec. Or will they red shirt Sponseller because he is out for 6 weeks. I would not think so. So why red shirt Weakly. Of course, you could red shirt all of them and wait for next year - not.

Scott Nicola added to this discussion on October 27, 2007

Okay I think there are two ways to read this wrestle off:
1. Weakley dominated early then shut it down and coasted to victory.
2. Weinrich got caught, fought off his back and wrestled his way back into the match.

Anyway you slice it, Weinrich has 2 years college wrestling experience (1 year at OSU) and a somewhat raw Weakley seems to be the better option already. Given the training situation I think Weakley will continue to make good progress and by the end of the year will give you a much better chance to score at the Big 10 and NCAA level.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on October 27, 2007

These are great responses. Cliff Cahill makes a point that echoes a comment made to me by Jim Andrassy. In my "Ohio Collegiate Wrestling Notebook" on the home page (see link below), Andrassy mentions that he doesn't plan to redshirt either of his two frosh 125's--Brian Dean or Nic Bedelyon--because he figures it's going to take two guys to fill the weight class. I hope you guys will check out what he has to say as i found it very interesting and similar in many respects to the situation Ohio State faces at 197.

http://www.ohiowrestling.net/articles/archives/119

Brad Proudfoot added to this discussion on October 28, 2007

That was a great read Hank. I hope to see even more as the season progresses.

Dan Ransick added to this discussion on October 28, 2007

I would think you wrestle Weakley at as many opens as possible before deciding what you want to do with him. If he wins big matches and does well at those then you can't redshirt him.

Nicholas Sestito added to this discussion on October 28, 2007

Well when is the time limit for starting a redshirt on someone? Or are you saying redshirt him, wait to see if he does win big, then take him off redshirt, a la Mac under Gable?

Well when is the time limit for starting a redshirt on someone? Or are you saying redshirt him, wait to see if he does win big, then take him off redshirt, a la Mac under Gable?

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on October 28, 2007

Nicholas: A redshirt can only wrestle in open events, ie: Mich. State Open, Penn State Open...I believe the Southern Scuffle allowed open competition.

Well I guess my question would be than, when during the wrestling season can you redshirt your wrestler?

Dan Ransick added to this discussion on October 28, 2007

If they are wrestling unattached from the University they are still in redshirt year. The redshirt stops when you compete for the school i.e a dual meet.

Thanks for the clarification

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next