Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Cleveland State Intrasquad
Dan Cosimi added to this discussion on October 26, 2007

Here is a summary and results from Cleveland State's annual intrasquad scrimmage: http://www.ohiowrestling.net/results/2007-2008/college/csu_intrasquad.html

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Christopher Henderson added to this discussion on October 27, 2007

It sounds like there is a lot of competition in the wrestling room at CSU. I had no idea there would be so many guys vying for starting positions. I hope Mike Hurley is able to get healthy and compete this year. He was one of my favorite guys to watch wrestle.
Robbie Michaels might surprise some people. He was a real scorer in high school. His senior year, he lost to Lamancusa 11-9. His little brother, Danny, might be more of the same. Danny lost 18-14 to Coby Boyd last year in the semifinals of the state tournament. I hope CSU tries to recruit him. They would be a great 1-2 punch.
I'm looking forward to going down to Woodling Gym this winter. Parking and traffic are a piece of cake for Vikings fans, so take advantage of it, and support the team.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on October 27, 2007

Good article. Like Chris, I didn't realize there were some good competitors in the room beyond the starters of whom I was aware. Esp. at 285--where did this Schwartz kid come from? Goff has been one of CSU's most consistent starters. I'm shocked there's someone in the room to beat him out.

Chris Hahn was not mentioned in the lineup so I'm assuming he's no longer part of the program.

Steve Lester added to this discussion on October 27, 2007

From the article:

"Chris Hahn, who may also be in the mix to start at 184, was unable to wrestle."

This reads as if Chris was "out" temporarily for some reason.

It would be distressing if it were permanent. With all that young man has been through it would be tremendous to see him qualify for nationals or maybe even AA.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on October 27, 2007

Steve:
I re-read the article and noticed I'd missed the mention of Hahn. Still, it doesn't sound good. He was their starter last season at 197. Why would he be down at 184? He's too talented not to be better than whoever CSU has at either weight. My hope was that a good offseason training regimen would get him ready to make a run at an EWL title. Watching Hahn last season, it was obvious that he had the pure talent to be a heckuva wrestler.

Josh Lowe added to this discussion on October 27, 2007

Schwartz went to Clyde. Had a very good football career I think. Had to go 215 because Guhn was up at 285. State 3rd as a senior, lost 2-0 to Griffin in the semis. Was a district one over Rodriguez (eventual SC) and Nachtrab (arguable projected SC) that year. Also had a win over DI SC Crowley that year if I recall correctly (Crowley has an NCAA bid in DII to his credit already).

Michaels had a totally goofy career. Surprisingly unable to get out of his district as a freshman if I recall correctly. Sophomore year was a district #1 over Pat McLemore. Lost to Kreibel 4-2 in the quarters and then 4-3 to Jackson in the consi quarters, and would've been wrestling 7/8 vs McLemore had they placed 8 (Deubel, Bowers, Lipp, Jackson, Kreibel, and Pizzuro were top 6 at 119 that year). Junior year, he beats Friery in the district finals (Friery wins the state in that weight), then absolutely chokes first round of the state tournament (having what was an absolutely CLEAN PATH to the state final); got out to a big deficit against Mahley and then couldn't recover (lost 9-8). Lost to Christensen 10-6 in the consi second.

Steve Lester added to this discussion on October 27, 2007

"Still, it doesn't sound good. He was their starter last season at 197. Why would he be down at 184?"

I had the same question. Perhaps Dan can expound on this (unless there is a reason he can't).

Josh,

Wow. A couple of the men that Schwartz beat had impressive showings in the Eds gym (assuming Rodriguez was the Willard wrestler I saw--I'm pretty sure that was his name). Interesting.

Doug Noel added to this discussion on October 28, 2007

Great to see A. Hughes can start. Saw him wrestle at districts, kids tough!!!

► Add to the Discussion