Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: If you were a High School Athletic Director...?
Warren Edwards added to this discussion on October 27, 2007

If you were a High School Athletic Director who would your top five candidates for the Head Wrestling Coach Position at your New High School be? (and why?)

(*Bonus points for coaches that might actually be looking for a change.)
(And, No, this is not about DeSales.)

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on October 27, 2007

W.T.:
Is this a private or public school? Does the school have open enrollment if it's public?

Having run a high school program in a public school district whose enrollment was strictly community based, my perspective is that you want to hire a coach with a track record of being able to build a program from the ground up. He needs to know how to set up an effective youth program. He needs to make education the first priority. And he needs to work well with kids and parents.

One guy that leaps to mind is Joe Boardwine. He did a great job with US. If he's available, that's someone you'd have to strongly consider.

I'll also mention Dave Mariola, Jr. If you're a public school AD, he took over a terrible Barberton team, set up a youth program, and has built a quality squad.

Those are a few examples of the type of guy I'd want to hire.

Warren Edwards added to this discussion on October 28, 2007

Thanks Hank,

Let's say we are talking about a public school with closed enrollment and only one middle school feeding it in a rapidly growing area.

Any one else?

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on October 29, 2007

W.T.:

My answer would remain the same. You want someone that has demonstrated the ability to build a program from the ground up in other situations. They have to have a good touch with kids. And academics should always be prioritized. Obviously, those guys are not always floating around. So, the next option would likely be someone youngish with the necessary energy and good coaching experience.

One mistake is to hire a head coach merely because he was a great wrestler. It's important to spend some time learning how to run a program before becoming a head coach. And beware guys that prattle on about how their program will win state titles. They're usually less interested in doing good for kids than winning for the sake of their own egos. I despise coaches that only show interest in their talent and ignore the rest of their kids. State success doesn't mean a program is successful. A program is successful if it's built to last after the head coach leaves. And it's even more successful if the kids that participate in it feel the program has made them better people.

I don't know of anyone specific but those would be my general comments.

► Add to the Discussion