Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Most Dynamic wrestlers so far
Rex Holman added to this discussion on March 20, 2010

I enjoy watching Andrew Long, Kyle Dake, Palmer, Metcalf, and Vallimont.

Long and Dake, age aside, look like embodiments of purpose, wrestling intelligence, toughness and fearlessness. They are testaments that high level games are possible at a young age if the development and mind are developed accordingly. If you were to compare levels of development, talent, and performance in respective sports for all athletes, then these guys are in the 99.9 percentile.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Here is the thing I am seeing with Andrew Long of which I am most impressed and it will be the next wave of must have technique.

His reshot is not a standard reshot and is what makes him exceptional. He is forward moving at all times. When his opponent shoots, his hands are accountable. He does not go for the immediate reshot, which is at best 50/50. He goes to clear the arm on one side and spin. He creates such a strong position and reaction out of his opponent which in turn creates the reaction he wants. As the opponent is reacting he explodes with his penetration and creates an almost immediate score.

So instead of an immediate reshot, it is actually shot, downblock, setup, and reshot. All in one fluid movement.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 20, 2010

I would add Howe and McDonough to your list.

Howe wrestles every match like its the last round of a title fight. Hard nosed, tough and always ready to capitalize on your mistake. Not a great rider but he's out on bottom.

McDonough spends seven minutes in a scoring frenzy. He's a barracuda feeding on a school of mackerel.

I'm also a fan of Tyler Graff. He really tries to beat the heck out of each opponent.

Bill Watson added to this discussion on March 20, 2010

A few questions does dynamic mean they win, or is dynamic just taking style into account?

Either way I loved the Askren Leblanc match

Antony Sharples added to this discussion on March 20, 2010

I like those picks as well. I have been a die hard Iowa fan ever since I knew what wrestling was, so I am a little biased towards their style.

That said, McDondugh is throwback. Reminds me so much of the Brands brothers with that relentless attack. He is my favorite since McIlravy.

I really like Howe. A lot of people hate his style and call it a snooze fest. It may lack action, but he is always moving forward and might be the best handfighter in college. Pritzlaff has molded him into a mirror image, minus the great leg attacks.

Almost forgot Graff. I really think he has a bright future. I wrestled him at the Schultz last year, and he is tough as nails.

Leo Zimmer added to this discussion on March 20, 2010

Lewnes has been impressive as well.

What I was looking for when I used dynamic in this context is ability to create opportunities to score or cause action. I believe those guys do a great job. McDonough has to be added as well because his pretty much nonstop.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 21, 2010

Although it's after the fact, I'd add Chase Pami to the list. Even though he lost, it was a pleasure to watch him attack.

Mike Leedy added to this discussion on March 22, 2010

I was impressed with the fact a Wyoming wrestler did so well and the number of Boise St. wrestlers who were in it. I was under impressed with TSUN.

Rex Holman added to this discussion on March 22, 2010

Hank-

I like Pami, too. He won in the quarters and semis on the strength of his top position.Plus, he was aggressive on his feet. He looked like he could make 149, but it was not the year to do that. Cal Poly had some nice efforts. I found myself rooting for Novachkov against Oliver as I hate when wrestlers play the edge.

Pami, Lister, Askren, and Kid Dynamite impressed me with their skills on top. The cheap tilt from a claw and a crab that Askren used in the finals was nice. The crab ride needs to be an essential tool in the high school athlete's belt that wants to excel in college. It takes so little effort to score and may be the difference in a match.

Wyoming has a stud thanks to Mark Branch.

Borschel's finishes on Lewnes were impressive considering the strength in Lewnes' s hips and his defensive capacity.

Dennis should have tied up Ness's wrists at the end, instead he got suckered into an inside tie and with things happening fast and furious, mistakes happen which cannot be corrected. It did make for an exciting finish.

It was no mistake that Zabriskie won this year. He wrestled smart and Kevin Jackson can coach a big guy as well as anyone.

Rex Holman added to this discussion on March 26, 2010

A suggestion on some skill development work that would greatly improve one's wrestling:

1)Crab ride from on top with progression into a pinning or scoring combination

2)Claw ride from top position with transition to tying up wrists via 2 on 1 and tilting progression

3)Downblock-Gain angle-Reshot drill

4)First move off bottom in to progression of standup

5)hips on mat, base up with hand control off bottom into position of neutrality into progression of standup

6)30 second progressive choreographed ride from top

7)30 second progressive choreographed escape off bottom(no f'n switches)

8)15 second maintain position drill from feet, tying up wrists(thumbs away), wrestling head to head, downblocking

9)Sequence of edge wrestling as offensive man

10)Offensive attack to both sides from feet that complement each other.

If you were to spend your summer working on these things with guidance, you would substantially fill in the gaps of your wrestling. These are functional approaches (strategy) to wrestling as opposed to learning a bunch of technique. Just a suggestion.

Lou Demas added to this discussion on March 26, 2010

I don't want to seem like I am always disagreeing with you, when as always I find myself in agreeing with you 99% of the time, but why no switches?

I don't think switches are must need skill to be successful in wrestling , however I have even seen the switch, a variation of the switch and use of the switch to set something else up used from time to time even in international competition.

A switch will not typically work against a very good rider. A couple things have to happen for a switch to work. There has to be space between the hips, the rider has to be elbow deep and the bottom man needs to have a free arm opposite of the side to be switched.
A very good rider does not allow space, and has some type of lock on the arm whether it be an underhook, an overhook, claw or half. If the lock fails, the rider shall have good enough base with the the knee in the butt to recover.
A switch is a low percentage move when compared to a standup,granby or head spin.
The switch that I like is from the feet. However, the top man can drop to a single leg, which makes the switch useless.
Getting caught in a switch attempt is a good way to burn valuable time off the clock.
A much better investment spent on developing a standup with hand control and cut away or hip heist away escape.
I hit a switch in the NCAA finals but it was secondary to an elevator. Sharrat was not a great rider and I was better off bottom.
I do not advise a switch unless your switch is highly evolved and you are extremely athletic.
Riders distinguished themselves at this years's NCAA championships. Those that can ride, WIN.

Mike VanArsdale was a great switcher as good as anyone with it. I wrestled him a bunch. I saw him win the World cup with a variation of the switch, but good fundamentals will beat the position if you are aware that it is in someone's bag of tricks.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on March 26, 2010

as I read that list of ten, I was wondering too, as to your perspective on switches. Thanks for the answer.

The thing I hate about switches is that kids I've seen sit reaching as if the top wrestler will give in and just throw a leg over the outreached arm. GET MOVING!!!

I will say that explosive, turning hips are the thing that I think seperates switches I've seen work and the ones that don't work.

We stopped teaching it as a fundemental from referee's position at the high school level. We teach the standing switch like there is no tomorrow though. Our thought is to explode to the feet. A lot more here to it than just not teaching it as a whole too many kids were complacent with the technique.

► Add to the Discussion