Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Tom Ryan's Blog
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on October 29, 2007

I can't believe my article was displaced from the top of the home page because some guy named "Tom Ryan" wrote a blog... <shifty>

Ok. First thoughts. Ohio wrestling fans are fortunate to have an opportunity to have Coach Ryan blog. I hope everyone will take the time to read what he has to say.

--He mentions how the pre-season is spent not merely training the wrestlers but getting them (esp. the frosh) acclimated into the routine of balancing academics with wrestling/college life. Coach Ryan then discusses having speakers come in to talk to the wrestlers about using their time wisely. That's very impressive to me. A lot of coaches pay lip-service to this idea. But obviously his staff takes it seriously.

--Coach Ryan mentions that the intensity level is higher at the start of this season than a year ago. That speaks volumes for what the expectations are now for this squad.

--There is time spent discussing what's being done to motivate the frosh. The names of past frosh AA's are now prominently displayed in the room. I came up with Jeff Golz, Tom Rowlands, J.D. Bergman, Lance Palmer and Mike Pucillo. Have any other frosh ever earned AA honors for the Bucks?

--Future blogs: I'd love to hear from Coach Ryan on how he ultimately determines the starters. Is it strictly wrestleoffs, or do other criteria come into play? Also, does he plan to redshirt as many wrestlers as possible? Or will he have some of his better "backups" ready to go in case of injury? How is Joe Heskett doing? How do his health issues affect his coaching (if at all)? Is Joe Ryan his brother? I read Joe Ryan's bio and he has an extensive coaching background. Aside from his Director/Video duties, will he be assisting the staff? Just some thoughts...

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Dan Cosimi added to this discussion on October 29, 2007

Hank, I'll do my best to answer some of your questions.

- I know Tom has a brother, Frank, who wrestled at Syracuse and is a member here. I don't think Joe is his brother but I'm not positive on that. LiveSportsVideo is a great site, it just never got that big within the community. Now that we have Flo, I don't think that's going to change much.

- I know for a fact that the staff has tried to make the transition for the true freshman Nikko Triggas (from California) as smooth as possible, and when I talked to Nikko, he said it's been great in Columbus. His only worry is the snow, haha. I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that the whole staff are really good, stand-up guys who just love the sport. That's why I have no doubt that they'll be national champions. It's a great time to be a Buckeye fan.

- I think wrestle-offs plus competition come into play when determining the starting lineup. I know it's not just one match. The open season may be telling for some weights...

- I do not get the impression that Ryan will redshirt anyone just for the sake of redshirting them. Touris will redshirt, but we have Triggas and Harrington there. Livingston will redshirt, but we have Humphrey and Enright there. So on and so forth. Very good backups will be ready to go, for sure.

- Joe Heskett was at the wrestle-offs, smiling and in great spirits. He seemed to be doing just fine, which is awesome. I'm not exactly sure how his health issues affect his coaching.

- I loved the "Freshman All-Americans Wanted" quote. I know it's a long way away but I think Colt Sponseller will do it. I've seen some awesome 160s in the past few years (Luke, Erwin, Rella, etc.) but Sponseller may be the best of all of them. I was actually talking about that with Pat at the wrestle-offs. I said I'd take Sponseller as a senior in a close bout over Luke (who I've always been a huge fan of) as a senior. Pat took Luke close over Sponseller. Either way, that's excellent company.

Pat Costilow added to this discussion on November 3, 2007

Not to get off topic, but, as I said, Ohio has had a nationally top flight 160 every year for the past 5 or 6, it's crazy. Luke, Erwin, Rella, Sponseller, Nemec, Cubberly, Moore, and I doubt it ends there. All of those guys are top tier talents.

Michael Zucker added to this discussion on November 6, 2007

Hank - Tom taught a clinic at Olentangy Liberty a few weeks ago. Lou Rosselli also taught a session. He is not only am exceptional coach, but a quality individual as well. The same goes for Lou. They are great ambassadors for both the sport and the university. Ohio Sate will only continue to move forward with their leadership. They will be challenging for the National title in no time!

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on November 6, 2007

Wait til next year!!!

► Add to the Discussion