Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Buckeye Lineup next year?
Scott Nicola added to this discussion on March 21, 2010

Ohio state graduates 5 seniors this year from the starting lineup (Hump, Palmer, Rella, Mike P, CoMo). Does Ryan "reload" immediately or give guys like Sponseller, Triggas, and Paddock much needed redshirts?

125-Triggas/Stieber-Many had written off Triggas early this year for his inconsistency. Does Coach Ryan start returning AA Triggas or phenon Stieber. Triggas could use a redshirt to bulk up and take over 133 the following season.

133-Paddock/Triggas-I think best case scenario has Paddock starting and Triggas redshirting, then Triggas going 133 his senior year while Paddock moves to 141 or redshirts.

141-C.Palmer/Paddock-If Palmer can make the weight he would seem to be the frontrunner (although I haven't heard much about him this season). Paddock was not a particularly big 133 so it's hard to imagine him at 141 next year.

149-Jameson/Nemec-Hopefully one of these guys can make it down and be successful. Jameson seems to have more upside at this point. Maybe Nemec's strength would play a bigger role at the lower weight?

157-Jameson/Nemec-See above.

165-Sponseller/Garcia/Demas-I really hope Spoon gets a redshirt to work on bottom and possibly bulk up to 174 for the following year. Garcia and Demas are both fantastic recruits with Garcia seeming more physically ready to step in (plan is to get Demas bulked up).

174-Heflin/Capone-Both guys are somewhat unproven but had sucess in opens. Interested to see how this developes.

184-Capone/Pendelton-I think Capone will challenge Pendelton if he loses the wrestle off to Heflin.

197-Magrum-I liked Magrum's developement and thing he will continue to improve as he grows into the weight.

285-Hiles-Hiles had mixed results in opens.

Discuss

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Ben Golden added to this discussion on March 21, 2010

This made me laugh because right after Reece lost his semifinal and the weekend was sealed as an overall disappointment, I started thinking about next year's lineup.

This is what I would like to see, but keep in mind that I favor redshirting a lot more than coach Ryan seems to.

125: Triggas/Harrington
Redshirt Logan. If Triggas can make the weight here, great. If not, I think Harrington will be a serviceable guy. Whoever doesn't wrestle here goes to 133.

133: Triggas/Harrington
See above

141: C. Palmer

149: Jameson
Seems more natural for him. I don't see Nemec dropping, and I don't think it would be good for him considering how many injuries he's already had. Injuries+heavy cut usually == bad.

157: Nemec

165: Sponseller
Maybe they redshirt him, but I doubt it.

174: Heflin

184: Capone

197: Magrum
What a freshman year. I know he wasn't the most accomplished in terms of wins and losses, but for a guy who was wrestling 174 last year I don't think you can ask for more. He went into every match wrestling hard and was competitive with a lot of very good 197s. I think if he works hard in the offseason and gets a good bit stronger he could be a top 10 guy.

285: Hiles

Scott Nicola added to this discussion on March 21, 2010

Does anyone know if Kusar is still with the team? Good results his freshman year and early this year. If he can make 149 he may be an option, particularly if T.J./Nemec are too big. I wasn't trying to leave out Harrington (who is tough) it's just getting really crowded at 125/133 with uber-stud Stieber and the emergence of Triggas and Paddock. Finally, I agree with you about Magrum. The most consistency tOSU has had at 197 since Bergman. I confident Magrum will continue to develope.

Nicholas Sestito added to this discussion on March 21, 2010

I still don't know if we'll see Collin at 141. I've always thought he and Lance were about the same in size, Collin perhaps ending up a bit bigger. I think until the questions revolving around weight are answered, things are pretty wide open at the lightweights. Plus, I have seen very few matches with Derek Garcia and he's such an unknown other than being a wrestler with an excellent reputation.

Nemec looks to be the man at 157 as long as he can stay healthy.
Sponseller should finish out at 165.
Heflin and Capone at 174 and 184 respectivvely.
Cody should continue to fill out muscle-wise for 197.
Hiles at 285.

Ben Golden added to this discussion on March 21, 2010

I always thought Lance could have cut to 141 his first 2 years if he wanted, but didn't need to.

Collin wrestled 141 at a couple opens this year. I think he'll be able to do it again, though I'm sure it will be a decent cut.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on March 21, 2010

I was wondering if anyone knows what the big controversy was in Triggas' first match? The next match was delayed for quite awhile.

Gary Sommers added to this discussion on March 21, 2010

Geez guys, you could at least let the corpse get cold.

J.P. Barner added to this discussion on March 21, 2010

Quote from Gary Sommers's post:

"Geez guys, you could at least let the corpse get cold."

You kidding - I'm already bummed that I have to wait so long to watch wrestling again. :)

Gary Sommers added to this discussion on March 21, 2010

Quote from J.P. Barner's post:

"

You kidding - I'm already bummed that I have to wait so long to watch wrestling again. :)"

Now that is one thing. But projecting next year's lineup only one day after the debacle is quite another.

And there is plenty of wrestling still to watch this spring if you need a fix.

Freddy Carr added to this discussion on March 21, 2010

"

"

You kidding - I'm already bummed that I have to wait so long to watch wrestling again. :)"

Now that is one thing. But projecting next year's lineup only one day after the debacle is quite another.

And there is plenty of wrestling still to watch this spring if you need a fix."

LOL. "Debacle". Great way to describe Michigan's season (not only in wrestling, but in football and basketball as well.)

Ken Ramsey Sr. added to this discussion on March 21, 2010

"

"

It is notable that next year will be Ryan's first year with all of the wrestlers being recruited by him.

Gary Sommers added to this discussion on March 22, 2010

Quote from Freddy Carr's post:

"

"

"

LOL. "Debacle". Great way to describe Michigan's season (not only in wrestling, but in football and basketball as well.)"

I figured someone would pick up on that. lol

Of course it wasn't quite that, but compared to the predictions on here earlier and some of the comments made during it might not be far off.

► Add to the Discussion