Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Ohio State vs. Notre Dame
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on October 29, 2007

This Sunday at 2:00pm at Maple Heights High School, the Ohio State Buckeyes will travel north to take on the Notre Dame Falcons.

The Bucks are not starting the season under the best of circumstances. According to Cliff Cahill of Matside with Bob Dieli , T.J. Enright, Jason Johnstone, Colt Sponseller and J.D. Bergman will all miss the match. I don't know if that's "etched in stone" but it is what he posted according to info sent him by the Buckeyes. It makes this match tighter and the matchups more intriguing. While I still think the Bucks are sizeable favorites, NDC has a shot to win several matchups, particularly depending upon whom the Bucks wrestle. In fact, I think the biggest subplot to this matchup is simply the Ohio State lineup. Whoever wrestles in this dual will not be capable of redshirting if I correctly understand the rules.
Here are your potential matchups:

125: Tyler Savage v Nikko Triggas
133: Dante Rini v Reece Humphrey
141: Brett Freeman v J. Jaggers
149: Nate Spencer v Lance Palmer
157: V. Crenshaw or J. Spencer v Nemec or ?*
165: Mike Mahon v Robel Campbell
174: Ken Sanger v Alex Picazo
184: Chris Tripp v Mike Pucillo
197: Jason Flynn v Zach Weinrich **
285: A. Watson or N. Terifaj v Morrison or ?***

*If Nemec wrestles, he can't redshirt. This is dilemma #1.
**Weinrich lost the wrestleoff but it's hard to imagine the Bucks will commit to Weakley for the season---yet.
***Corey Morrison deserves a redshirt and Bucks have several other 285 options. But, he's clearly their 2nd best starter. I haven't heard anything about Bergman's knee so I'll cautiously assume it's not serious and expect to see DiAgosta or Campbell.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Dan Cosimi added to this discussion on October 29, 2007

125: Nikko Triggas (Ohio State) v. Tyler Savage (Notre Dame)
- Savage was an All-American at Senior Nationals in 2006 and redshirted last year. Triggas has a great resume and looked explosive at wrestle-offs.

133: Reece Humphrey (Ohio State) v. Dante Rini (Notre Dame)
- Rini is tough, but Humphrey is a D1 All-American candidate.

141: J Jaggers (Ohio State) v. Brett Freeman (Notre Dame)
- Two guys from our ol' D3 district! Brett is the man and a very good wrestler, but Jaggers is Jaggers.

149: Lance Palmer (Ohio State) v. Nate Spencer (Notre Dame)
- Another one from our old district in Spencer, but then he defected to Palmer's district. Palmer will win this one but I think it will be a decision. Spencer (like his brother who was in the match to AA last year) is very good.

157: Sean Nemec (Ohio State) v. Victer Crenshaw (Notre Dame)
- It's not a foregone conclusion that Nemec or Crenshaw will be here. If Johnstone isn't here, you can pretty much pen Nemec's name in. As for Crenshaw, you'd think a wrestle-off with returning starter Jason Spencer would determine that.

165: Robel Campbell (Ohio State) v. Mike Mahon (Notre Dame)
- This is the first, and only, weight class Notre Dame would be favored in. Campbell and Mahon are both tough true freshmen and should give a great bout.

174: Alex Picazo (Ohio State) v. Ken Sanger (Notre Dame)
- I've seen both of these guys wrestle for a few years and it's hard for me to believe they are the same weight. Picazo's power is probably too much, but Sanger is tough.

184: Mike Pucillo (Ohio State) v. Chris Tripp (Notre Dame)
- If you ask me, this is the match of the night. Both of them have tremendous talent. Being an All-American, Pucillo is the favorite.

197: John Weakley (Ohio State) v. Justin Tripp (Notre Dame)
- This would be a good bout if we get a chance to see it. Tripp is big right now and could definitely do very well at heavyweight this year, but is attempting to make the cut down to 197. Weakley won the wrestle-off so I'd have him penciled in here, but it could just as easily be Weinrich, I guess.

285: Corey Morrison (Ohio State) v. Nick Terifaj (Notre Dame)
- Again, we don't know who's going to be here for either team, but this is the best guess we have as of right now. I would rather not see Morrison get pulled out of his redshirt year, but if J.D. is out, it may have to happen. NAIA All-American Terifaj will be in a battle to reclaim his starting position with Anthony Watson and possibly Justin Tripp.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on October 29, 2007

I was wondering about the red-shirt situations. Does it matter that NDC is part of the NAIA, and OSU is NCAA? Will the red-shirt rules apply in this situation?

Dan Ransick added to this discussion on October 30, 2007

Yes redshirt rules do apply in this situation since you are competing for Ohio State University and not unattached like at an open tournament.

Cliff Cahill added to this discussion on October 30, 2007

woh - Ohio State does not send Cliff Cahill any non-public team reports. What I get is from Matside shows where I hear what comes through on my ear phones during the shoot. The Matside show with the OSU wrestle offs are this Wednesday. Give a listen. What you hear there becomes public. The three I listed was not wrestling because of injuries. Of course J.D. was injured during his match. It will be very interesting to see the lineup as it will define who is not and who could red shirt. All of Cleveland needs to be at this dual to support wrestling with this intra state dual and initial outing of the Bucks and the beginning of a new wrestling program Franks is creating. Here is a good one. Will Pucillo be wrestling since he missed the wrestle offs? The mystic builds.

You know what you could do Hank is to get Ryan to blog his intent for Sunday and discuss his on travel squad along with Michigan State Open entries. I am sure there are no need for close door practice sessions against Notre Dame.

Scott Nicola added to this discussion on October 30, 2007

I saw Pucillo at the wrestle off and he said the reason he was not wrestling that night was b/c he had an exam that conflicted with it (he had apparently just finished). He seemed to be in good health so I assume he will be ready to go.

DJ Vondruska added to this discussion on October 31, 2007

I think Sanger is the 165 pounder unless something changed from their web site.

Dave Ressler added to this discussion on October 31, 2007

Talked to Mr. Sanger last night. Kenny is at 174 this year.

Don Mahon added to this discussion on October 31, 2007

The NDC starter at 165 is down to Brian Cornell [Bedford] or Mike Mahon [Moeller]

► Add to the Discussion