Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Which HS Tournament is the best run in Ohio?
Ken Ramsey Sr. added to this discussion on October 30, 2007

I think it's Medina, which is always run as well as the OHSAA State Tournament and is run better than USAW National Tournaments. It has always amazed me how well it is run by volunteers and at how smoothly it runs. The competition as compared to other top tournaments is still top notch and should be in everyone's top 3. If you consider the last 30 year history of Ohio tournaments it would still have to rate #1 although the Ironman may have been the best the last 10 years Medina would still be a strong #2 over that period.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Cliff Cahill added to this discussion on October 30, 2007

No doubt from my experience Medina is at the top both in competition level and venue. Medina has an entire side of the gym at balcony level for all video. The gym is large. And Lynn and people are very hospitable. Ironman seems to be overbooked from a venue stand point. I love the States and their show and media support. And the division one Central District done by Bruce has always been very well ran and great to the media. But for great night out to watch wrestling it is hard to beat tOSU Buckeyes. And if you really want a rush take spring break to Virginia Beach for the National Senior H.S. Championships with a venue hard to beat being beach side and what can you say about the best across the nation going all weekend.

Josh Lowe added to this discussion on October 30, 2007

Lynn and staff do a tremendous job at Medina across the board - very customer service oriented and caring.

However, I would say that currently Brecksville is the best tournament in terms of overall competition quality in Ohio other than the Ironman (# of returning state qualifiers). Also have good quality table help, support, etc.

The Bill Dies and Firestone seem to be well-run as well. Both are basically run by the same people.

Scott Shaw added to this discussion on October 31, 2007

The CIT runs extremely well for a tournament that is on a rotating basis. Yes Gary Baumgartner heads the tourney no matter the location, but local people that are involved in the operations of this tourney every year do a tremendous job.

The CIT's prestige has dropped off in some minds due to the fact that St. Edward no longer attends. Last season saw a return of St. Peter Chanel and Walsh however, so the competition will soon be back to what it was.

Roe Fox added to this discussion on October 31, 2007

I think I hear what you are saying about Ironman being overbooked but for competition and non-stop top flight wrestling I would rather spend money there then somewhere else, if I had to choose. Since I don't I like Medina a close second and usually hit both, schedule permitting.

Historically I liked going to North Canton in the late 70s, early 80s when you would see Eds, St.V., usually a great N.C. team and others. I thought it was well run with great competition. It has faded a lot. I also would like to get to Breckville as most seem to think very highly of it.

► Add to the Discussion