Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Jason Johnstone back on the mat!!!
Mark Niemann added to this discussion on October 30, 2007

I walked into practice today to find a pleasant surprise...Jason Johnstone dressed and ready for war. He did the warm-ups and drilling just like everybody else. I'd say he's progressing to 100%!!! And for the Cruiser coaching staff, that is the best news we could hear on a bland Tuesday!!!

As for the statement, "...like everybody else." That's not entirely true. Colt Sponseller has a scarlet cast on his right(if I remember correctly) hand. But you want to hear the cool thing...he was busy squating - A LOT!!! I would imagine 4-7 sets of at least one of 225. Then, Coach Thatcher put him through a match on the treadmill. What an odd ordeal that was. Starting, stopping, raising elevation, getting off while the treadmill is still going...odd. Match simulation though, so I do understand the concept.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Cliff Cahill added to this discussion on October 30, 2007

So Johnstone is making the trip to Cleveland this weekend? Then why did Jason miss the wrestle offs?

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on October 30, 2007

Hmmm. If Johnstone is healthy and able to go, I wonder if Ohio State would consider moving up Nemec to 165 lbs for this meet?

The Bucks have three dual events in the month of November:

Nov. 4th vs Notre Dame
Nov. 10th at the UTC Duals
Nov. 26th vs Rutgers.

Seems to me that the strongest possible lineup would contain Johnstone and Nemec while Sponseller heals. But once Nemec wrestles, he can no longer redshirt. So, there's a dilema here. If Ohio State bumps up Nemec, which makes sense, then Sponseller returns, where does that leave Nemec? If he beats out Johnstone, then using him makes sense. But if Johnstone beats him out, you've used him for a handful of early duals and then lost the chance to redshirt him. That's a lot to think about if you're the OSU staff. The value of getting off to a good start is considerable. But do you risk "wasting" the season of one of the most promising recruits in the history of your program (I think that's a fair assessment of Nemec)?

Gary Corroto added to this discussion on October 31, 2007

I don't think they will wrestle Weakley or Nemec at all in these early season duals. If they wrestle, even once, then they cannot redshirt this year. People put WAY too much emphasis on wrestle-offs. There is alot more that goes into these decisions than what happens in wrestle-offs. OSU has a solid 157 in Johnstone and the difference between Weinrich and Weakley appears to be slight. There is often times a great deal of difference bewteen how a freshman wrestles in the room and against guys that he has been wrestling everyday for two months as opposed to how he competes against other college wrestlers. My guess is that Johnstone (if healthy),Weinrich and one of the young 165 lbrs. will start these early season duals. Nemec and Weakley will wrestle in open tournaments. In December, the staff will evaluate how all of these guys are wrestling and how Sponseller has come back from his injuries and make a decision whether or not to pull somebody out of redshirt.

There really is no reason to start these guys now. Take the first month and a half of the season to evaluate where you are. These guys are asstes and you want to maximize their value to the program over the 5 years that you can use them. What may look to be the best option for a dual meet against NDC in November may not be your best option to maximize the career of the wrestler.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on October 31, 2007

Gary:
A lot of posters, myself included, are more familiar with high school than collegiate wrestling--particularly at the D1 level. Your response strikes me as savvy and accurate.
I would imagine that your perspective closely mirrors how the Bucks staff sees the situation.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on October 31, 2007

...maybe it was Sponseller's left hand... <dry>

Cliff Cahill added to this discussion on November 2, 2007

then why have wrestle offs if they do not count - you notice Johnstone did not wrestle Nemec but few days later is in uniform - I think the event we saw needs a new name, ie meet the freshman or whatever - and stop using something that has one meaning to some and completely different to another

Gary, your logic holds up until you get to the big question. These freshmen mature greatly their first season so then the staff question might become, where will Nemec and Weakly be as the Bucks head for the Big Ten tournament if they have a season of real varisity experience.

Here is the real tough question. Do you go all out betting the house each year, ie the "proven" very best on the mat in each and every weight class, or do you pick a year you think your recruiting will pay off the most and save some in the tank for when you the staff decide to put the metal to the peddle.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on November 2, 2007

I see on the OSU website the projected lineup for Sun. has Johnstone & Weinrich listed.No Nemec or Weakley, which I would take as a "lean" toward redshirting??

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on November 2, 2007

I think the event we saw needs a new name, ie meet the freshman or whatever

Cliff--that is friggin hilarious!

Brian Nicola added to this discussion on November 2, 2007

I don't know if anyone I spoke to at the event actually thought that was Coach Ryan picking his team. Most people treated it like an intrasquad...a good chance to get a taste of the team early.

Tony Bradberry added to this discussion on November 2, 2007

I have talked to alot of college coachs and most have told me that they are mainly for public relations.

► Add to the Discussion