Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Discussion Topic: Ironman 2007 Teams & Info
Dan Cosimi added to this discussion on November 22, 2007

171: Brian Roddy (Lakewood St. Edward) v. Chris Phillips (Monroeville)

This match is the epitome of the favorite veteran standout versus the underdog young star. Roddy is brutally strong. As he showcased in his state final win over Dustin Kilgore last year, Roddy has great technique to go with his strength. After the way he dominated the tough St. Edward schedule last year after the Ironman, he may not only be the best wrestler in Ohio, but also the nation. Phillips is the best incoming freshman I've ever seen. He dominates everyone his age and he's had great success against developed and experienced varsity wrestlers. I think Roddy will win a controlling decision, but it should be a great bout to see.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Dan Ransick added to this discussion on November 27, 2007

The strength factor of Roddy could be a very big one in this match. Phillips technique may just as good as Roddy's but the strength would have to be a big one.

With all the top incoming freshman these days going to Ironman no one will go undefeated in Ohio high school wrestling.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on November 27, 2007

"With all the top incoming freshman these days going to Ironman no one will go undefeated in Ohio high school wrestling."

good point, Dan, after all C.P. Schlatter lost only one high school match in-season, that was in the Beast finals to Michael Martin of Great Bridge VA. The super tournaments, and the traveling teams do now makes an undefeated hs career even more unlikely than ever.

And no one in Ohio has ever gone victorious in every match over a 4 year career as far as i know. Jim Jordan had one loss--- and Tom Milkovich was undefeated but Tom competed 3 years of high school not 4. Those 2 and C.P. were very very close.

no Flo wrestling at Ironman ---- the Walsh AD doesnt want to give his product away, and i understand that since its a fundraiser for the school athletic dept. Cable 9 will replay the finals at a later date, which is fair. Videos from Cable 9 are sold, too.

Boutboard available, still for $ 5 i think, same as last year , will update each match of the tourn LIVE in progress point by point, sign up on www.walshironman.com

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on November 28, 2007

Uintah Utah's 103 is a female------

Candace Workman was national runner-up at the Junior Women's Freestyle in Fargo and placed 6th in the Utah state meet last year---- so it appears she will be seeded at 103.

College coaches starting to sign up in numbers------- 10 in just the last 2 days i am told by the Walsh secretary, incl Tom Ortiz of Arizona St, Drew Pariano of Northwestern, and Joel Sharrat of the Air Force Academy, all 3 who emailed me.

Gregg Scharrer added to this discussion on November 28, 2007

Quote from Dom Mancini's post:

"Gregg - let's go some round robin takedowns!"

I would say you don't want a piece of me but, we both know it's the other way around. Boardman had a nice showing in the 2006 Ironman - Powel looked very good @ 215. I wanted to see Jameson compete this year. Maybe he'll be an 11th hour entry. David & I will be at Ironman. He'll go some takedowns with you. Hope to see you there.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on November 29, 2007

Amateur Wrestling News High School Individual Rankings latest update, top 12 each wt in nation, of course wts may be off in some cases preseason--- Ironman wrestlers are noted:

2. Hunter Stieber-Fr, Monroeville, OH
7. Gus Sako-Fr, St. Edward, OH

1. David Taylor-Jr, St. Paris, OH
3. Sam White-Jr, Massillon Perry, OH
5. Jamie Clark-Soph, St. Edward, OH
8. Steve Mitcheff-Sr, Elyria, OH
9. Ben Sergent-Sr, Troy, OH

1. Logan Stieber-Soph, Monroeville, OH

7. Tony Ramos-Jr, Glenbard North, IL
8. Chris Villalonga-Soph, Blair Academy, NJ
10. Kyle Lang-Jr, Brecksville, OH

1. Colin Johnston-Sr, Canon-McMillan, PA
2. Collin Palmer-Jr, St. Edward, OH
10. Jordan Shields-Sr, Lower Burrell, PA
12. Matt Bryan-Sr, Broken Arrow, OK

1. Mario Mason-Sr, Blair Academy, NJ
( 2. Tony Jameson-Sr, Austintown Fitch, OH --not entered)
10. Ben Jordan-Sr, St. Paris, OH
12. Vince Ramos-Sr, Glenbard North, IL

3. Alex Meade-Sr, Caesar Rodney, DE (cert. at 152, might go 160)
5. Coby Boyd-Sr, St. Paris, OH
8. Zac Cibula-Sr, Luxemburg-Casco, WI

6. Eric Cubberly-Sr, Pemberville, OH
10. Johnny Keopp-Sr, Bishop Lynch, TX

2. Brian Roddy-Sr, St. Edward, OH
11. Corey Peltier-Sr, Blair Academy, NJ

9. Cody Magrum-Sr, Oak Harbor, OH
10 Joe Budi-Jr, Kaukauna, WI

3. Garrett Goebel-Sr, Montini, IL
11. Nick Cook-Sr, Fauquier, VA

these are guys ranked in top 12 nationally, but there will be plenty of overall depth in every wt except maybe 215 --- imo, i do not think tourn is quite as tough on paper this year as the last 3 years as far as top wrestlers go, but maybe i'm wrong---- however many teams are entering only their better kids anymore, so not much fluff, 2nd round Friday should see some fireworks. A few seeded wrestlers will lose even in first round.

expect once again a great team race. This is the only tourn Blair gets real comp for the team title.

Dom Mancini added to this discussion on November 29, 2007

Boardman won some matches last year finishing i think 24th - This year I think Pasquale at 103 would have done great - coming close to placing - Zupko could have won some matches at 112 Liggitt -won a match last year and gave robbie miller a close match - he woould win some matches this year - he is much bigger and better this year - DeMarinis I expect could have placed at 160 he was 2 matches away last year - Whitaker would have won some matches at 189 - I think we would have finished about the same - but didn't get invited back because no ranked wrestlers - Unfortunately that is why Fitch won't send anyone - because of the picking and choosing of wrestlers - they either go as a team of they don't go - next year we will have a nationally ranked wrestler at 103 with John Dillon - so we'll see if he gets invited.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on November 29, 2007

email to me from coach Jeff Buxton of Blair today , i told him too i thought Ironman maybe not quite as tough this year, but he said:

"This tournament is always tough --- kids make such a big jump from year to year. It is the unexpected that gets you at the Ironman. State champion fall quickly here. My favorite tournament of all time. One better ---- the NCAAs. But the atmosphere at walsh is outstanding."

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on December 1, 2007

coaches have begun entering their wrestlers in the wts they will be seeded at---- SP Graham lineup is entered.

check www.walshironman.com , just click a weight class to see it as entered so far.

i am told there are very few All Session Passes left, have to get them at the school from the Walsh Jesuit AD, no phone or email orders taken.

Dan Ransick added to this discussion on December 1, 2007

You have to love the lineup St. Paris has entered with Taylor, Jordan and Boyd those guys all look like finalists at their weights. It looks like them and Blair will be battling for the Ironman title this year.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on December 1, 2007

112 and 145 will be very very tough wts, keep your eye on who is entered at those 2 wts. Other than David Taylor at 112 and Mario Mason at 145, i wouldn't be predictng any other finalists at 112 and 145.

at 152 i see Johnny Koepp from Bishop Lynch Texas, he is tough, took 3rd at Beast last season, has done well in Fargo. Will NHSCA Junior champ Jon Burns of N Carolina be at 145 or 152 ??

the Walsh Jesuit AD just called me, All Session Passes are sold out as of today. Can often pick up a couple on game day, Friday, since sometimes a team will return a few of their allotment-- but right now only individual session passes for Friday, and for Saturday daytime, will be available at the door.

Tony Soprano added to this discussion on December 2, 2007

Bob you are by far the most knowledgeable wrestling mind around. I can't wait to meet you and your dear friend - at Ironman. Two great minds!

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on December 2, 2007

i always look foward to meeting new fans at Ironman, we have a good mix, 40 % Ohio kids & teams, 60 % out of state. Brings together fans, styles of wrestling, cultures. I think its helped Ohio wrestling overall, imo. I see Ohio teams doing some things on the mat and with handfighting that i didnt see as much of 10 years ago.

Colonial Forge VA is in Ironman this year, looks like thier team pretty tough too, maybe top 15 in nation---- results from Nazareth Invitational in PA yesterday:

Colonial Forge 286.5
Dallastown 221
Nazareth 215
Northwestern Lehigh 185
LaSalle Prep 134.5
Pocono Mt. West 87
Solanco 72
Crestwood 64.5

Gino Iacoboni added to this discussion on December 3, 2007

I see Kyle Lang entered at 135, interested in seeing him and Collin battle it out throughout the year

Dan Ransick added to this discussion on December 3, 2007

Palmer crushes Lang. Palmer just has the it factor and Lang is jumping up what 4 weight classes that is a huge jump to land up there with Palmer. Although the funk factor of Lang could very well surprise some people.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next