Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Discussion Topic: Ironman 2007 Teams & Info
Bob Preusse added to this discussion on December 3, 2007

135 shaping up as very tough, Matt Bryan the Reno T of C champ from Oklahoma also at 135. # 1 Colin Johnston is 135 his coach told me today.

# 1 at 171 also is in question, 5 very good candidates: Cody Yohn, Brian Roddy, Quinten Wright, Grant Gambrall and Jordan Blanton --- AWN editor Ron Good emails me re Quinten Wright: "He won his second college tournaments, the Penn State Open. Effner d. Mack Lewnes, 4-3 (ranked 7th in country). Q. Wright six wins, beat Effner 5-1 in finals at 165."

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Josh Lowe added to this discussion on December 4, 2007

Please note my comments are unofficial in nature.

112 looks to be an absolute zoo. Cam Tessari (Monroeville) might end up without a seed but be a nuisance to any seed.
We're looking at Gentry VA/Inghram OH round 16 with the winner vs Taylor OH in the quarters. Some other quarters: Mitcheff OH/Robinson OH, and Boyle NJ/White OH.

119 another tough weight. Dangerous non-seed possible in Oronoa CA. Hillock and Wallander will be solid Ohio kids without a seed. Some quarters: Sergent OH v Steeley OK/Owens PA, Klingsheim CA v Neibert OH, Papesh OH v Garofalo VA

125 is brutal! Harger OH, Marks OH, and Armstrong OH will be pains in the posterior but not seeds in all likelihood. How about Partain OK v Garbrandt OH round of 16, Kelly OK v Valloton CA, and Rey FL v Waltko PA, as well. Ramos IL v Rey/Waltko, Villalonga NJ v Kelly/Valloton, Genetin OH v Partain/Garbrandt, and Williams VA v Adamson TX as likely quarters.

130 probably least top heavy but very balanced. Squire OH v Grabfelder PA as a round of 16 - remember that Squire lost to that kid at Disney, that winner getting Valles NJ in the quarters. Hancock/Sulzer round of 16 again, winner getting I Squires VA in quarters. Horner OH v T Silver TX round of 16, winner likely to hit semis. Stephens OH v Yost VA the other likely quarter.

135 is loaded! How about these possible non-seeds: R Medved GA, Capezio IL, T Adamson TX, and Ormsbee NJ. Round of 16: Skonieczny v Wukie (state final?), winner vs Wilson WV quarter; Bryan OK v Welsh PA, winner v C Palmer OH quarter; Lang v Thome, winner v Kolodzik; Earp NC v Pantaleo VA, winner v Johnston PA. Nationally rankable kids meet up with each other before the quarters in some cases!

140 looks pretty thin when put in the face of 135. The key names here are Spicel and Dak Adamson TX.

145 is another deep weight with Goins a dangerous potential kid outside the seeds. Burns NC v Ramos IL, Toal v Jordan (state champ for each?), and Mason NJ v Eitel TX (NP final preview?) as quarters.

152 has a very strong top five-plus group with Meade DE, Boyd OH, Cibula WI, Koepp TX, Mastro FL. Also - Kusar, Tank, and Rolnick NJ.

160 seems to be Cubberly's to lose with a balanced group behind him - Condon GA probably second best, though that may bracket into a semi. Darkhorses are King VA, Rakes VA, and Edmunds VA.

Phillips v Roddy seems to be a probable semi by the way the seeds look to be falling (though who the heck knows) - that's 171.

189 is pretty balanced, though Magrum might be the slightest of favorites. Huntley VA a likely two seed with the 3-5 seeds very close; Budi WI, Foster, and Lloyd WI. Bailey is going to be tough from the 6, and Jones is a tough double-digit seed.

215 is probably the tournament's least accomplished weight, Fisher is the likely one seed

285 has defending champ Goebel IL as the favorite. Walls probably the second seed. Brownlee PA - though he had to sit last year - is going to be a nuisance to someone.

Gino Iacoboni added to this discussion on December 4, 2007

Bob, I read on the website that the live video will be an expansive shot of all four mats in each gym. Either way the $15 for the live boutbard itself is worth it but I'm hoping to get some closeups of some of the featured matchups. If not I can always wait for the finals dvd from Jeff C. Wish I could be there but since you guys are lucky enough to get to see this great tourney in person I feel its only right I tell you I will be at the beach with my son getting my updates from my lap top and you guys are getting your snow shuvels out.

Aaron LaBatt added to this discussion on December 4, 2007

Bob,
Does Walsh Jesuit have wireless internet that I could connect to with my laptop?
And in your opinion who are some dark horses this year? As coach Buxton said, "It is the unexpected that gets you at Ironman." So who has a good chance to do the unexpected or make a good run at it?

Aaron LaBatt

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on December 4, 2007

Glad to read this.

http://www.flocasts.org/flowrestling/flowrestlr/profile.php?u=671&v=blog&id=971

Mike Datillo added to this discussion on December 5, 2007

Great to hear Brady H. After ole bob made the statement "no Flo wrestling at Ironman ---- the Walsh AD doesnt want to give his product away, and I understand that since its a fundraiser for the school athletic dept. Cable 9 will replay the finals at a later date, which is fair. Videos from Cable 9 are sold, too." I figured it was a done deal. Glad to hear they got it done.

Tom Elmer added to this discussion on December 5, 2007

I spoke with Martin at Flo and he agreed to not post any full matches until after the Ironman is done and is sending everyone to the walshironman site to sign up( check out his blog) He will be doing color through out the tournament. When I last spoke with him before Las Vegas he was planning on filming the semis( since he is a one man show there will only be one semi unless he can get volunteer help to do another since 4 mats go at once) and finals for later date viewing. He doesnt want to take anything away from Walsh and their fundraising efforts.I agree with Martin that Flo will only add to the greatness of the Ironman and make it live on long after the last match is wrestled and the team trophy is awarded to winner( the walshironman website dies after the tournament...flo is the future of our sport as far as web based coverage and is far better than ANYTHING out there.Blair will be showing every dual meet on Flo this year as well as they have posted practice drills and interviews.Jeff Buxton sees the power of FLO).

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on December 5, 2007

seeding was completed as of late Tuesday night on www.walshironman.com No brackets until after weigh in friday noon, there are always a few changes at weigh in.

seeds were done yesterday Tuesday-- on Fri a few changes will be made at weigh in----- at 119 Klingsheim moves from 5 to 3, he has the points as his coach pointed out--- we re-added, eyes can get bleary its a long day. Papesh still 4, Garofalo moves down to 5.

at 103 Carter goes to 2, Brody to 3.

at 189 Grimes jumps to # 6, bumping Bailey to 7 and Krakower to 8. Grimes beat Bailey in last years Ironman 9 to 5. s/BobP

Don Mahon added to this discussion on December 5, 2007

Quote from Bob Preusse's post:

"
# 1 at 171 also is in question, 5 very good candidates: Cody Yohn, Brian Roddy, Quinten Wright, Grant Gambrall and Jordan Blanton --- AWN editor Ron Good emails me re Quinten Wright: "He won his second college tournaments, the Penn State Open. Effner d. Mack Lewnes, 4-3 (ranked 7th in country). Q. Wright six wins, beat Effner 5-1 in finals at 165.""

Am I missing something? Roddy is the only one of that group even listed at 171.

Dan Ransick added to this discussion on December 5, 2007

The battle for #1 ranked wrestler in the nation is what Bob is talking about here. It will be interesting to see if Roddy ends up #1 in the nation this year.

we will see once season gets going ----- the Iowa City West coach gave me Gambral at 171, coach Dernlan of Penn st told me Quinten Wright at 171. We will see.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on December 10, 2007

examples of a few of the kudos that have come in for the Ironman staff, always nice to hear it, its no slam dunk and when it comes off well its a relief !! To all who contributed to another success, job well done and thanks !

from John DiJulius whose son took 3rd at 103 :
"Awesome tournament. We have waited and prepared the last 10 years to wrestle in that tournament and it was everything we could have hoped for. We have traveled around the country trying to find the best kids in the country hoping to be ready for the ironman. Are you ever ready? It was incredible, the competition, hype, drama, organized, smooth, etc. Thanks for putting this on. No one can know the amount of work that I know you put into it, it comes off looking easy because you do so much work to make it that way. The ironman and you are the best thing for wrestling. You allow the best teams and wrestlers to showcase themselves and find out who are truly the best. Thanks! "

from Liberty California coach :
"it was great meeting you and being part of the toughest tournament in the country. I know Klingsheim under performed a little but I hope a 7th at Iroman and a win over Sergent @ 119 will increase his stock in the rankings and with college coaches. He will be wrestling 112 for our state tournament and should win it easily. Thanks again for your hard work on a great tournament. See you next year or at Fargo."

from coach John Gramuglia of Wadsworth :
"Dear Grant Conzaman and tournament staff :
First, I would like to commend you, Bob Preusse, Ken Dies, Bob Conley, and especially your head coach Bill Barger and the rest of the Walsh coaches and wrestling boosters on putting on one of the best wrestling tournaments ever. Everything was first class including the careful planning, organized seeding, quick weigh ins, conscientious ableworkers, and a gracious hospitality room with plenty of food and drink. My team, coaches, and parents felt well-received the entire two days, and you gave the wrestlers, coaches, and parents a great atmosphere to perform and watch some high-quality wrestling.

Second, I would like to praise the work Bob Preusse, Ken Dies, and Bob Conley put in coordinating and managing the entire tournament. Kudos to the entire Walsh community for its sportsmanship and workmanship in masterminding this event. All represented wrestling programs should be thankful and appreciative for this fabulous performance. Your wrestlers and wrestling parents have much to be proud of. Congratulations! "
Sincerely,
John Gramuglia
Head Wrestling Coach
Wadsworth High School

Last edited by Bob Preusse on December 10, 2007; edited 2 times in total

Jerry Des Forges added to this discussion on December 11, 2007

Bob,

I can not express enough how fantastic the tournament was this past weekend. It was very well ran from top to bottom (head table, table workers, and officiating). I feel lucky to have been a part of this event and I know we would love to make a return trip next year. I know this is an experience James or I will surely never forget. It is definately the pinnacle of high school athletics in my view.

Kudos to all those involved in making the tournament so successful. Especially the Walsh Jesuit community. I saw how all the athletes and parents with in their programs came together to work at the event. Thank you.

Jerry Des Forges
Valley Forge High School

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on December 12, 2007

from coach Vallotton of Palo Cedro Foothills California:

"Bob,

Thanks for another great tourney-- we choked in the semi’s but gritted out to place--THE IRON MAN lived up to ots name-- also the best officiating I have ever experienced -- its nice to go where wrestling is important!!!!!

Val

(fact is our refs get alot of kudos over the years, a few complaints but not many considering the level of competition and all the different states involved, hats off to Sandy Cageao and his crew.)

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next