Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Discussion Topic: Ironman 2007 Teams & Info
Dan Ransick added to this discussion on December 12, 2007

Bob,

Who are some surprises to you that popped up on your radar screen this year at Ironman.

I think #1 has to be Meder taking down Walls then pushing Goebel into OT before losing. From going 0-2 at the state tournament to making it to the finals of Ironman in just 9 months is a huge turn around.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Discussion Topic: Ironman 2007 Teams & Info
Bob Preusse added to this discussion on December 13, 2007

Dan,

yes 285 Meder very nice surprise, fact is we let him in tourn to fatten up 285 weight class, last year we were way short of 32 Hwts and i don't like byes--- so this year i sought out some Hwts to fill the weight class. Ironically we had 35 seeded and 32 weigh in. Meder passes the "Eyeball test", only a junior his stock went way up.

other "surprises":
... 103 Johnni Di Julius of Walsh Jesuit, didnt know him that well since he is a freshman but he had impressive wins over Silver of Blair then Sako of st Eds to take 3rd place.
...freshman Mason Beckman of Reynolds PA beating highy touted Sean Boyle of Blair at 112 in round 2. The 112 class had 20 state placers and was our deepest. David Taylor again proved his greatness.
...Ben Sergent not placing at 119.
... Cody Kelly of Reynolds PA getting to finals in a loaded 125 weight class. Defending champ Tony Ramos losing in round 2 to a Montini kid.
...Nick Sulzer of st Eds not placing at 130.
...# 1 in nation, Junior national freestyle champ Colin Johnston losing to Skonieczny at 135, it was no fluke loss, Skonieczny earned it.
... Kyle Lang DNP and Reno T of C champ Matt Bryan of Oklahoma was beaten by Wukie of U School and took 7th only place at 135, wow !
...Birt of st Eds not placing at 140.
...Blairs 2 freshmen Ormsbee took 5th at 135, Guzzo took 3rd at 140.
... Jon Burns, who i didnt know that much about from N Carolina, beating # 1 in nation Mario Mason at 145, then winning the wt. Mason suffered another loss to a ranked wrestler Victor Ramos of Illinois.
...at 152 Zac Cibula from Wisconsin who committed to Rider, a 3X state champ who has done well in FILA and Fargo, only took 8th place.
...at 160 nationally hi ranked Sam Rakes of VA took 8th only. Same wt freshman Alex Utley of CVCA beat Rakes 8 to 5 for 7th. Marc Bryan of Ignatius took 5th. Condon from Georgia winning this wt surprised me, although he is going to wrestle at UT Chatanooga.
...at 171, i saw Chris Phillips i fargo and knew he was truly great but who thought this great ??!!!! Wrestles like a top 125, not a 171, as a freshman.
....at 189 the Wisconsin kid Joe Budi was for real, a stocky powerhuse build but great Turk on the mat, twice he caught Magrum in that Turk and won the wt convincingly.
...215 not a deep wt, glad Matt Fisher was here. Fisher looked good, he won Super 32 too, maybe deserves a fairly high national ranking at 215.
...285, i said Meder and it turned out to be a good wt with Goebel, Brownlee from PA, Walls from SPG, and Nick Cook from VA all looking legit.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6