Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Hunter Stieber named TheMat.com Wrestler of the Week
Ben Golden added to this discussion on June 29, 2010

http://www.themat.com/section.php?section_id=3&page=showarticle&ArticleID=22170

The award comes on the heels of his dominant weekend on the Ohio junior freestyle team. Hunter went 9-0 on the weekend with impressive wins over Minnesota-bound Nick Dardanes and Jake Sueflohn.

His weekend is particularly impressive for two reasons. The first is that beating Nick Dardanes is a big deal. Dardanes put together an incredible string of victories (over Ian Paddock, Jarrod Garnett, Jason Tsirtsis, and David Thorn) a few months ago in Cleveland en route to winning FILA Jr. Nationals. I don't know anything about Jake Sueflohn, but Josh said on Yappi that it was a huge win. Perhaps he can elaborate.

The second reason is that Hunter was wrestling at 135 pounds--up 3 weights from what he wrestled in March. That's a big jump in not a lot of time!

I had heard that Hunter was going to bump up to 130 for the regular season. Josh: If you don't mind my asking, who do you think will be his biggest competition at 130 next year (pending Fargo, of course)?

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on June 30, 2010

Sometimes wt cutting is counter productive. Great performance by Hunter and the Ohio squad.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on June 30, 2010

Hunter is often overshadowed by Logan's achievements, but he proved he can wrestle with the top guys. Reminds me of the Milkovich brothers. Tom was the dominant high school wrestler, going undefeated, but younger brother Pat proved in college he was just as tough with 4 NCAA finals appearances and 2 titles. The Buckeyes are lucky to get both brothers.

Josh Lowe added to this discussion on June 30, 2010

I've heard a couple things about Hunter's weight for the high school season. But I think 135 is about where he'll be.

It is hard to speculate on whom his key competition will be at the Walsh Ironman or Brecksville, his two major in-season tests. Get back to me in November on that front.

In terms of Jake Sueflohn - for those that are not InterMat premium service subscribers -- he was ranked 35th among all class of 2011 wrestlers. Champion at the Cheesehead in a weight class that also included Simon Kitzis, Brandon Kingsley, and Alex Dieringer; champion at the OPRF tournament over Chris Dardanes; and a 3x state placer (3rd/2nd/1st). As a point of reference, Sueflohn was the last (and only) wrestler to beat Jesse Thielke in the in-season of his high school career -- doing so in the regional tournament his sophomore year (Thielke avenged that loss in the state final).

Ben Golden added to this discussion on June 30, 2010

Thanks for the info Josh.

I can't wait to see what Hunter does up a couple wait classes next year. Like Jack said, he's sort of been in Logan's shadow, but he's truly had a spectacular career as a 3x Ironman finalist--and none of those weights were exactly cakewalks.

EDIT: As I look back through his brackets, the list of foes he's downed has truly developed into a "Who's Who" of the lightweights. Here are some notables with their current rankings in parentheses. There are many more that he placed higher than but did not actually wrestle.

2007 Ironman @ 103 Pounds:
Nick Brascetta (#7 at 119)
Ty Mitch (#6 at 119)
Gus Sako (kind of surprised I don't see him ranked)
Devin Carter (#4 at 130)

2008 Ironman @ 112 Pounds:
Evan Silver (#1 at 112)

2009 Ironman @ 119 Pounds:
Ty Mitch

► Add to the Discussion