Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next

Discussion Topic: OSU Results
Eric Curitore added to this discussion on November 4, 2007

Just got back from the Dual, I'll remember as much as i can.

125 Triggas DEC Salvage 5-2 Triggas played defense most of the match with savge in on his legs numerous amounts of time...triggas looked impressive on top with a nice turn.

133- Humphrey DEC Rini 6-1 Humphrey looked good with many quick low single shots. I never recognized how lanky he really is .

141 Jaggers PIN Freeman Jaggers was beating him pretty handily b4 he cradled him up for the PIN

149 Palmer Tech Spencer Palmer looked good with a couple of TD's plus numerous amounts of backpoints.

157 Crenshaw DEC Johnstone 8-7 (Best bout of night by far) Crenshaw threw Johnstone in the first period, whole place went nuts. Johnstone took Crenshaw down with time expired to make it 7-7...but Victor had riding point to make it 8-7. Constant action whole time. Jason had a pretty slick throw by as well.

165- Mahon DEC Campbell? 7-5 OT Pretty boring last 4-5 minutes of this match. Mahon gassed out pretty quickly. Campbell didnt capitalize. Really missed Colt...

174- Picazo Major Kordich 10-2 Picazo looked tough...pretty good on his feet.

184 Pucillo PIN ?? I don't think it was Justin Tripp... [Pretty quick match]

197 Weinrich Maj (I believe) Kuti

285 Bergman PIN Terifaj Real fast match

Final score was something pretty close to 38-6

Sorry if this didnt cover much... Hopefully some of the others guys who were there can input as well.

Last edited by Eric Curitore on November 4, 2007; edited 1 time in total

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Steve Lester added to this discussion on November 4, 2007

Here's some more.

125. Triggas TD came on his own shot with an upper body toss. Savage had a leg 8 times by my count in the first two periods and couldn't convert until the end of second period which was started from nuetral, and made for a 2-2 score. Triggas rode out the third period and got a turn which folks around me thought was questionable, but Triggas had RT anyway.

141 Jaggers TD, backs, cut, TD, and pin at 1:03.

149 Palmer gets a TF with little time left. 17-1 or thereabouts.

165 Battle of freshmen from Troy Christian and Moeller. Campbell got a last second TD to send it to OT, when Mahon won it with a solid double.

184 Pucillo pin was against Cory Braden at the 2:36 mark. Braden actually managed to swipe an early headlock, but Pucillo pulled out of the danger.

197 Weinrich over Kuti 16-3 or 17-3.

285 Bergman with an easy snap down and pin at 1:27.

They saved the 165 match to last, as the "feature bout", which was an excellent decision. Crenwhaw is a great "get" for Notre Dame (obviously).

36-6 final (I think)

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on November 4, 2007

thanks for the descriptions. I had hoped to go to the match but chose to attend the Browns game with my Dad.

I'd be curious to hear about Humphrey at 133. He wrestled this wt as a frosh but hasn't made it for two years. How'd he look?

Glad to see J.D. in the lineup. Obviously, he's sufficiently recovered from injuries suffered in his intrasquad match. That's a nice win to start the season at this new weight class.

Incidentally, Morrison has defeated AA's Nail and Bergman the last two years. Yes...there are extenuating circumstances.

Crenshaw is a fine wrestler but there's a reason he's no longer at CSU. I hope he stays focused, trains hard, and studies hard. If so, he can be a possible NAIA national champ.

What happened to Chris Tripp? I thought he'd start for NDC at 184.

How was the attendance?

Jack Muni added to this discussion on November 5, 2007

OSU's 4 All-Americans looked great. Weinrich looked very good @ 197. You can see what a good job the coaches have done with him; perhaps our next "Blake Kaplan"? I was scratching my head watching Triggas though; unless he's a counter wrestler of sorts, he gave the leg away way too many times. He's not gonna scramble out of those against Big 10 competition. One nice thing about Nikko is that he's always working for back points when he rides. I thought Reece looked good; Rini was very defensive, in my opinion. Mostly blocking & tying up, but Reece got him with a great duckunder up into a bearhug, planting him on his back. Later he got a few low leg shots for TDs. Bergman answered the question "can he handle someone 30-40 lbs. heavier?", he did a quick snap down, got behind & turned the 285. being careful not to get rolled over by someone bigger than himself. Smart wrestling by J.D. Johnstone's match was a good one; hard to judge him off this performance. He did come back on a very good wrestler, but still appeared to be a bit undersized, but still bigger than last year. We'll see how he does in the next few matches. And in closing, Alex Picazo has one of the nastiest inside trips I've ever seen; the kind that brings "ooohhhs" from the crowd.

Josh Lowe added to this discussion on November 5, 2007

Triggas goes "to the well" too much from neutral in what I've seen out of him today and last year at Ironman. Triggas obviously has very good top skills as well.

I don't know if today is a good sampling for how Bergman will do against a big kid like Fox or Gritter - however, it does show the type of things that J.D. can do up at 285 against bigger kids (his athleticism in the neutral position and on top will show more here than it did at 197).

With respect to Crenshaw, he is a legit DI starter who just happens to be wrestling in an NAIA program.

Christopher Henderson added to this discussion on November 5, 2007

The attendance for the match was very good. The lower level of the gym was full. A lot more people than at a CSU meet. I even had trouble finding a parking spot!

The dual meet was a lot of fun. I think most people were rooting for both teams so they cheered good wrestling whenever they saw it. I was really impressed with the level of wrestling today. Some of the guys looked like they were in midseason form. Palmer looks scary on the mat. I'll bet he's the strongest 149 in the country by far. In fact the whole tOSU teamed was in fine shape. Picazo looks like a body builder who happens to do inside trips. Weinrich really impressed me. He wrestled smooth and didn't seem to get tired.

The Campbell Mahon match was pretty fun to watch. Mahon gassed so hard, but he found the energy for one more shot in overtime to get the win. It's the first match of the season so I'll cut the kids some slack.

It was cool to see Mitch Clark in attendance. He was announced on the speakers in between two matches, and he didn't know they were talking about him. His friends lifted up his arms to show everyone where he was. I think they were trying to get him to stand up. It was pretty funny.

Overall, I'm pretty encouraged for tOSU and NDC. I'm looking forward to the rest of the season.

For what it's worth; I read Ryan's blog and he mentioned team unity. I saw in attendence Weakley, Livingston, Nemec, Touris, Enright, Sponseller & even Tony Jameson (there may have been more). Nice to see that they made the trip up to support their teammates. <thumbsup>

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on November 5, 2007

J. Lowe...good call on "going to the well". Someone else mentioned him giving up the single too much...that was true during this dual.

ragin runner:

Ohio State 36, Notre Dame 6
125: Triggas (Ohio State) dec. Savage (Notre Dame) 5-2
Triggas was one of the four or five that seemed to have a bit of a bug. He looked as if he had been fighting a cold.

133: Humphrey (Ohio State) dec. Rini (Notre Dame) 8-3
The Hump is amazing. Something weird happened here: He bear-hugged Rini and they fell flat - right to Rini's back. No back points were awarded...remember that!

141: Jaggers (Ohio State) pin Freeman (Notre Dame) 2:03
Joe Heskett seems to be inolved here. He is another one that seemed to coughing hard.

149: Palmer (Ohio State) tf. Spencer (Notre Dame) 18-1
Relentless on top.

165: Mahon (Notre Dame) dec. Campbell (Ohio State) 6-4 OT
IMO, this match could have, but better stated should have gone the other way. Mahon was warned, and if I'm not mistaking, surrendered a point for stalling. The call came midway through the third period. Rather than picking up the pace (as the bench and coaches were 'suggesting', Campbell (and Mahon) stood still for a second after the whistle blew, then backed up as to gain some composure!!! Campbell had a chance to shine...may have missed it.

174: Picazo (Ohio State) dec. Kordich (Notre Dame) 9-2
It looked like a different Picazo at certain points. Mark it down, if he can continue an uptempo pace that he showed a couple of times in this match, and add some second, third and fourth shots from his initial shot, he should do very well!!! The inside trip??? SWEET!!!

184: Pucillo (Ohio State) pin Braden (Notre Dame) 2:36
I honestly believe he has the best frontheadlock that I've ever seen. Maybe most effective is the correct term. Pucillo was a third one that was wiping is nose often and spitting quite a bit.

197: Weinrich (Ohio State) md. Kuti (Notre Dame) 14-3
Good college match. High intensity, good pace. Neither really let down for very long. That's the kind of action you'd want and need from a big man... a la Tommy Rowlands!!!

285: Bergman (Ohio State) pin Terifaj (Notre Dame) 1:27
Bergman is pretty big. I say, Bergman is pretty big!

157: Crenshaw (Notre Dame) dec. Johnstone (Ohio State) 8-7
Remember when I stated "remember that" during the Hump's match...here's why. It seemed like Johnstone did a bit of a gramby roll and the ref called two BP's. I was a bit confused on that one. Granted the match was very fast past, so things could have slowed down just a bit for those two seconds but if you didn't award Reece with two, then there is NO WAY you award Crenshaw with two. But either way it was a great match. It is really nice to see Johnstone on the mat, finally. I've been up in the practice since Sept. and the wait was well worth it!

Great job Buckeyes!

NDC: You have to like what they are doing in terms of wrestling high quality opponents. You have to figure that they'll be well equiped come late Feb. early March.

Maggie Lamantia added to this discussion on November 5, 2007

will Colt then wrestle-off Campbell for the 65 spot when he heals?

he told me he'd be good to go for the home opener, " if all goes well."

Everyone I talked too couldn't understand how Humprhey didn't get at least 2 back points on that TD. He planted him pretty good. I wasn't paying that much attention to the two refs, but did they alternate calling the matches, or was one always the head ref?

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on November 5, 2007

I am positive they alternated. I'm not sure of the system they used for the alternating, but I know they did.

Tony Rotundo added to this discussion on November 5, 2007

Quote from Jack Muni's post:

"For what it's worth; I read Ryan's blog and he mentioned team unity. I saw in attendence Weakley, Livingston, Nemec, Touris, Enright, Sponseller & even Tony Jameson (there may have been more). Nice to see that they made the trip up to support their teammates. <thumbsup>"

Do you have a link to Coach Ryan's blog?

Thanks!

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on November 5, 2007

Tony: here you go. Articles like this one are usually found on the home page of this website, www.ohiowrestling.net

http://www.ohiowrestling.net/articles/archives/120

Warren Edwards added to this discussion on November 5, 2007

Here's the O-zone's wrap up of the OSU/Notre Dame dual and some notes on the Eastern Michigan Open.

http://theozone.net/wrestling/2007-2008/NotreDameCollege/wrapup.htm

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on November 6, 2007

It's worth noting that Nemec split with 2x D2 national champ, Guerra, while his other loss came 9-8 to eventual champ, Bertucci of Purdue. That shows you how much talent and promise he has.

DiAgosta started off with a pin of probable Mich. starter Guhn then dropped a 3-1 decision to D2 AA from Findlay.

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next