Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Discussion Topic: The answer to "You're the Recruiter"
Lou Demas added to this discussion on November 18, 2010

Quote from Mark Niemann's post:

"Lou... You've met me before! ;-)

I heart communism."

Yes, I have Mark, I have it marked on my calendar. It's kinda a holiday around here!

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Gary Sommers added to this discussion on November 18, 2010

Quote from Lou Demas's post:

"Gary, Roe ,

Like, I said before, for the parents who can afford to move, not such a hardship It's a hardship for parents who can open enroll their kids because they cant afford to move. Let's have open enrollment for all and may the best program win. That's American!
Also in life not everything is about the money, many top wrestlers' get recruitment letter's from schools like Harvard or Cornell but choose to go to Oklahoma,Iowa or Ohio St.. Are they all wrong? Teacher's don't teach for the big bucks, most artist do not get rich. Most people if able, would take less money to be able to be do what they love. So if you are the type of person who looks solely for economic pay off in choosing what schools right for your child vs. if your son or daughter has a true passion for wrestling,dance,art,skating, gymnastics..etc. I feel sorry for your child.
let's also be honest any parent willing to move for their child,will be concerned about their kids education. Never have a met a parent say, I just want little Jimmy to be a State champ but I don't care if he works for Minimum Wage for the rest of his life."

Lou, it is not 'economic pay off' nearly as much as it is educational pay off. At least to me, there is a difference. Some schools are just better. Just like some wrestlers are, some guitarists are, some doctors are, not all schools are created equal. And I just question denying a child a long-term academic benefit for a short-term athletic one. Especially in a case where, let's say, the academics at a school are a 9 but the wrestling might only be a 6. Seems to me still a better combination than a wrestling 10 and an academic 4.

Sure some are strong in both, and those are great. But, as Roe as been saying perhaps more eloquently than me, to put wrestling ahead of everything else when deciding a school for junior is questionable.

Lou Demas added to this discussion on November 20, 2010

Gary,

A degree from Harvard Is worth more because it is believed they educate their students better. Harvard is ranked number 1 and Iowa 72 in college ranking in education.So it is quite obvious some people value there wrestling over academics. Just like some students choose to go to art school or music school. I just don't think that, of all there parents out there who don't give a crap about their children I'm going pass morale judgement on one who decides on moving for the betterment of his child. Non, issue for me!

I will now give you my theory on why some schools produce more AAs than others.There is a team in California that is always district champs and they have been State Champs or top Five for a very long time.Yet, I think they have only produced 1 D1 AA, if that. They are a good school, great coaches, wrestle year round,go to fargo and train real hard. So what's the difference? I have talk to many other coaches and the only thing we could come up with is that they have a closed system of wrestling. They execute what they are taught very well. Yet I believe as did some other coaches I talked to in CA. their kids suffer in that they where rigid in that system and had a hard time adjusting to different styles in college. I can't really say if this is true of SPG, Josh only went to one camp and a few open mats there. However, we had gone To St. Ed's quite a bit for camps and they always had a lot of different clinicians and seem to encourage their kids to learn different styles and techniques to incorporate into their own. This is just what happens when kids go to college,they get 3 to sometimes 5 highly technical coaches, plus different kids from around the country bringing new technique and ways of wrestling to draw upon. I believe the kids who have been learning this way for a long time and are open to new things, fair much better than those kids who seem to remain locked on what made them highly successful in high school but holds them back in college because they don't change.
This is just food for thought, I am not trying to knock any great program, Heck,I think they must ponder why so many of their wrestlers to seem not to go on gain the future success that their High school careers suggested they would.
Also i will contend this could be just a statical anomaly give it an other 20 years they could all have about the same amount of D1 AA's.

Gary Sommers added to this discussion on November 20, 2010

Quote from Lou Demas's post:

"Gary,

A degree from Harvard Is worth more because it is believed they educate their students better. Harvard is ranked number 1 and Iowa 72 in college ranking in education.So it is quite obvious some people value there wrestling over academics. Just like some students choose to go to art school or music school. I just don't think that, of all there parents out there who don't give a crap about their children I'm going pass morale judgement on one who decides on moving for the betterment of his child. Non, issue for me!

I will now give you my theory on why some schools produce more AAs than others.There is a team in California that is always district champs and they have been State Champs or top Five for a very long time.Yet, I think they have only produced 1 D1 AA, if that. They are a good school, great coaches, wrestle year round,go to fargo and train real hard. So what's the difference? I have talk to many other coaches and the only thing we could come up with is that they have a closed system of wrestling. They execute what they are taught very well. Yet I believe as did some other coaches I talked to in CA. their kids suffer in that they where rigid in that system and had a hard time adjusting to different styles in college. I can't really say if this is true of SPG, Josh only went to one camp and a few open mats there. However, we had gone To St. Ed's quite a bit for camps and they always had a lot of different clinicians and seem to encourage their kids to learn different styles and techniques to incorporate into their own. This is just what happens when kids go to college,they get 3 to sometimes 5 highly technical coaches, plus different kids from around the country bringing new technique and ways of wrestling to draw upon. I believe the kids who have been learning this way for a long time and are open to new things, fair much better than those kids who seem to remain locked on what made them highly successful in high school but holds them back in college because they don't change.
This is just food for thought, I am not trying to knock any great program, Heck,I think they must ponder why so many of their wrestlers to seem not to go on gain the future success that their High school careers suggested they would.
Also I will contend this could be just a statical anomaly give it an other 20 years they could all have about the same amount of D1 AA's."

Lou, absolutely some do value wrestling over academics. Some think Lady Gaga is a better performer than Barbra Streisand. Some would rather watch The Hangover than Citizen Kane. Get my point? :)

A degree from Harvard is 'worth more' than one from Iowa because generally it will pay more. It will open more doors to both jobs and graduate education. It was taught by more accomplished professors to a brighter group of students.

I am not really trying to judge here, those statements are all pretty objectively true.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5