Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: The future of tOSU heavyweight situation
Scott Nicola added to this discussion on November 7, 2007

I posted this on another site and wanted to put it out there on here as well.

In case you were not paying attention Ohio State seems to be stockpiling young talent at the heavyweight position. Obviously Bergman is this year's starter and should challenge for a national title, but what happens after this year. The stable of young contenders will have an ideal workout situation with National Champ Rowlands and presumably Bergman (training for an international career at 211/285?) to wrestle everyday. Here are the young contenders, who will be the guy?

Corey Morrison-Morrison was the least highly touted of this group coming out of hs but is currently the most accomplished at the college level. He is improving by leaps and bounds every year and seems to be in the lighter/quicker heavyweight mold that the Buckeyes seem to favor. Morrison will presumably redshirt this year and have 2 years of eligibility left.

Zach Weinrich-Reports this summer were that Weinrich would challenge for the spot at heavy and was giving CoMo all he could handle (obviously Bergman moving down changed that plan). Based on the wrestle off, it would appear that Weakley is already a little better and with a steaper learning curve is likely the future at 197. With 2 years eligibility left after this year, I wouldn't be at all suprised to see Weinrich bulk back up and challenge at Heavy next year.

Eric DiAgosta-Probably the most raw of the bunch, DiAgosta is truly a physical freak. Posessing great size and athletism the sky's the limit for DiAgosta. Since ending his HS career DiAgosta has already beaten much more highly recruited prospects like Nathan Sharp, Jesse Campbell (wrestle off), and most recently Michigan blue chipper Matt Guhn. If he is this good already, how good can he become the Ohio State coaching/workout situation?

Jesse Campbell-Campbell was a D3 state champ beating highly touted Cameron Wade in the finals (I believe he owns several other career victories over Wade). Campbell had a good summer and many were pegging him as the front runner to be the future Buckeye heavy. He was pinned by DiAgosta in the preliminary wrestle off, although I don't know the details of what transpired prior to the fall.

John Hiles-The recent verbal by Hiles made this weight even more interesting. Hiles is the most highly touted already on the national level (Fargo AA) despite the fact that he has yet to win an Ohio State title. I believe he will do that this year and likely be one of the top high school Heavweights in the country. Last but not least, he is the cousin of the ultimate Buckeye Heavyweight that got away Luke Fickell (thats gotta count for something right?).

Discuss please.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on November 7, 2007

Scott--great "grist" for the forum mill.

Morrison--Great work ethic, great attitude. The fact that he's a competent D1 285 is extraordinary given where he was at coming out of high school. He's the guy most likely to win a match on conditioning and heart. Plus, his leg attacks continue to improve. His negative? Size. You can't coach it and he's never going to be a big 285. I don't think he's even as big as Bergman. While OSU can do much worse, Coach Ryan probably hopes to move a larger wrestler into that spot in the future.

Weinrich--I don't know him as well as Morrison but there seem to be a lot of similarities. He was a state placer at a lower weight class as a hs senior from a similarly tough state (New Jersey). He's obviously worked hard and is motivated. Who would emerge in a battle between him and Morrison has yet to be seen. I also don't know how much larger he can get. Ideally, he can continue to make 197 lbs as that will offer the Bucks excellent flexibility in the future.

DiAgosta, Campbell, Hiles--Size, size, size. One or more of these three will eventually start. How soon? I don't know. Neither Morrison nor Weinrich will back down from the challenge--and both wrestle a style that's more similar to their coach, Tom Rowlands. It's clear that each will have to learn how to train at this level. DiAgosta won the wrestle-off with Campbell and made a bit of noise at the EMU Open. But it's very early. Among these three, it's going to be the guy that trains the hardest, maintains the best attitude, and stays healthy (and eligible) that' s most likely to emerge. To be honest, it's hard to imagine that all three will continue to wrestle throughout their careers. It's such a tough committment and the possibility exists that none of them are going to start anytime soon. Apologies to Zach Stolarsky who deserves a mention.

Dan Ransick added to this discussion on November 7, 2007

I think that DiAgosta may have the steepest learning curve since he has only wrestled since his sophomore year. He could be a great wrestler in this room. The one thing Ohio State has is depth at this weight especially with the addition of Hiles next year. It wouldn't be unreasonable to think that any of the guys there would qualify for NCAA's next year.

Brendan Moody added to this discussion on November 7, 2007

This is a fantastic problem to have! I don't know when the last time OSU has been looking at a weight class with this much depth, the future will be exciting. That is how teams/ programs become great: haveing more than one All-American candidate at a weight class (which might be the situation at 285 in a couple years). The more weight classes OSU gets like this the more they prove that they are turning the corner to be a National Power!

Billy Watson added to this discussion on November 8, 2007

coaching at a local school DiAgosta is a great kid strong as an ox and always willing to learn, i wouldnt be suprised to see him finish his college career as an all american, if he gets 5 years with rowlands

► Add to the Discussion