Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next

Discussion Topic: Michigan State Open
Don Bork added to this discussion on November 13, 2010

Pete Capone upsets #20 ranked (D1 college wrestling) and 2 time NCAA qualifier Eric Cameron of Indiana in the opening round and won in round 2 as well. Is one match away from a posible semifinal match with Lee Munster.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Jason L. Jackson added to this discussion on November 13, 2010

Ohio State Results from Michigan State Open

Freshman/Sophomore bracket

Josh Whitt (125) got majored in his first match and then picks up a major in the consis.

Alex Gordon (149) wins his first match and then gets beat by Brad Squire.

Ray Gordon (197) has a first round bye.

Open Bracket

Randy Languis (141) gets majored by Archuleta from Purdue and then picks up a bye and a decision in the consis. Has Akif Eren from Purdue next.

Josh Demas (157) gets surprisingly majored by Chiza from MSU and then picks up a tech fall and a pin in the consis.

Jared Kusar (165) takes a bye and then picks up a decision, still alive in the championship bracket.

Nick Heflin (174) has a bye in a small bracket, hasn’t wrestled yet.

Peter Capone (184) picks up a huge win over a ranked Cameron from Indiana and then a tech fall over an Ohio U wrestler. Up next against Dieckhaus from Northern Illinois.

Updated results

Kusar loses to a Bucknell wrestler in the quarters in OT, Heflin beats an Eastern Michigan wrestler 6-0, and Capone loses 4-2.

Alex Gordon loses in the consis to Conrad Rosch.

Demas, Languis, Whitt, and Ray Gordon have not wrestled again.

Ben Golden added to this discussion on November 13, 2010

Cheza majoring Demas isn't a big surprise in my mind. He's pretty decent and ranked, albeit at 49.

Big semifinal match, Ohio-wise, between Nick Heflin and David Thompson.

Big semifinal match, Ohio-wise, between Nick Heflin and David Thompson.

Update
Languis beats former Purdue starter Akif Eren in the consis, Kusar loses and is eliminated and Capone wins his consi match as well. Heflin has not wrestled his semi match yet.

Whitt gets pinned and is out, Ray Gordon has yet to wrestle and Demas picks up another win in the consis.

Brian Morrow added to this discussion on November 13, 2010

How do you find results?

Quote from Brian Morrow's post:

"How do you find results?"

http://www.trackwrestling.com/opentournaments/VerifyPassword.jsp?tournamentId=2214009

Heflin majors Thompson 9-1. Nice.

Showdown with Nick Purdue in the finals.

Brian Morrow added to this discussion on November 13, 2010

When r finals?

Heflin beats Purdue, 8-5 in the finals. Very nice win.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on November 13, 2010

Heflin showing he's a solid starter with two straight tourney titles...Languis continues to show promise...Demas gains a second straight low placement. Not bad considering the weight cut has to be difficult and he's not officially on the team until second semester...Capone is a scrapper who seems to find a way to placement. Don't know how he'll do in Big Ten but there's something to be said for the fact he manages to win a lot more than he loses.

Give me this lineup for National Duals:
125: Stieber
Paddock
C. Palmer
Nemec
Sponseller
165:Demas
Heflin
Capone
Magrum
Hiles

I'd prefer they keep Demas in redshirt if he really is the future at 157. But that's a big if. Personally, I think Nemec moves back up for his senior year while either Hunter or Cam moves in at 149.

Kenny Courts, if healthy, will step into the lineup at either 184 or 197. He's that good. Garcia also probably good enough to start immediately.

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on November 13, 2010

From an Ohio U perspective - a couple thoughts.

1. Many of the projected starters did not compete this weekend. This is always an odd time for OU, being on quarters they are coming up on finals. Not sure if that, or health, played into attendance.

2. Squire - um, wow. Didn't wrestle any studs that I can tell but a tech, fall, and two majors is a great way to win a tournament as a true frosh. I can't see a reason to not have him in the line up this season, and think he'll be competitive right away.

3. Purdue makes the finals and loses to Heflin. Decent win over Avery in the semis. Good to see he's making the cut and competing well.

4. Johnson gets pinned by the freshman stud from NW. I am curious how that happened, because I've never seen him get decked. He now has a 3rd and a 5th in the first two opens against solid, not spectacular, competition. He's a gamer, for sure, as he always fights through for placement after losing early. He is also scoring points in bunches in the matches he wins (this season - 11, 11, 12, 8 etc) I think he will continue to improve and be a top 20 guy as soon as this year.

5. Hartshorn is great depth at heavy. He is probaly in the 30-35 range nationally.

6. Garringer and Sanders both won the fr/so division easily. Philosophically I am not sure what I think about potential starters wrestling in the fr/so division, but certainly something can be said about building confidence. Of course Sanders will be behind Schuth this season, but Garringer will probably start at 84.

7. I don't know much about Neal Williams or Gavin More, but it's nice to see both in the finals of the fr/so division.

8. 8 placers and three champs all told. A decent showing with a lot of the 'depth' kids getting several matches.

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on November 13, 2010

From an OSU perspective, any idea where Hiles is? It seems like with the question marks at that weight mat time would be important. Is he injured?

Thanks,

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next