Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next

Discussion Topic: What an excellent weekend for the fan of college wrestling
Matt Hall added to this discussion on November 15, 2010

What an excellent weekend for the fan of college wrestling. Friday night I watched the Penn State vs. Bloomsburg matches and Sunday I watched the Penn State vs. Lehigh matches live via Flo. Both Andrew Alton and David Taylor were spectacular. Take a look at the matches on flowrestling.org.

I may be in the minority but even though I root for the Buckeye wrestling team, I’m still a fan of college wrestling in general. I wouldn’t be caught dead in a Steelers jersey, but I wouldn’t hesitate wearing Penn State, Indiana, Michigan, Iowa, Northwestern … wrestling gear.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on November 15, 2010

The BigTen is sweet in wrestling and I agree this weekend was great from a fans point of view.

One thing that I'm unsettled about is after watching the first David Taylor match (against, not a superstar, but a good opponent) people are screaming, "That's it! He's the next Cael."

Give the kid, and me for that matter, a break!

Although you HAVE to love what you see coming out of State College, PA, let's hold back the references to Chuck Norris. Please.

AS FOR THE BigTen and it's network... I'm a little surprised Zeb and the boys were allowed to do what they did, giving the PSU/BigTen rights and all.

Patrick Campbell added to this discussion on November 15, 2010

Quote from Matt Hall's post:

"I may be in the minority but even though I root for the Buckeye wrestling team, I’m still a fan of college wrestling in general. I wouldn’t be caught dead in a Steelers jersey, but I wouldn’t hesitate wearing Penn State, Indiana, Michigan, Iowa, Northwestern … wrestling gear."

I don't think you are in the minority on this site. I'd bet most all of us appreciate good wrestling...no matter who is on the mat.

Ben Golden added to this discussion on November 15, 2010

Nevermind...

Last edited by Ben Golden on November 15, 2010; edited 1 time in total

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on November 15, 2010

It's a great time to be a wrestling fan. Flo has literally revolutionized coverage of the sport.

Ben Golden added to this discussion on November 15, 2010

Quote from Ethan Moore's post:

"It's a great time to be a wrestling fan. Flo has literally revolutionized coverage of the sport."

Agreed. We've gotten to see just about all the big events so far, with Binghampton being the only black spot.

It's also worth mentioning that the Big Ten Network is showing something like 41 duals this year along with the finals of the Big Ten Tournament.

About 10 will be on TV, and a bunch of others will be broadcast live online. It's like $12/month, but if you're interested in any of the B10 teams outside Ohio that's not a terrible deal.

Here's the schedule:
http://www.bigtennetwork.com/dpp/about_us/network-to-offer-most-extensive-wrestling-schedule-ever?=xx

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on November 15, 2010

Ethan: I'm totally on board with your post. But that's mainly because you seem level-headed and rational in your approach.

It's some of the people I've talked to and some of the quotes on line that - and I guess this is my MAIN point - based on his first match and a bit on his second, he's going undefeated and winning 4 national titles.

IT'S BEEN TWO MATCHES!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_N1OjGhIFc

Bottom line: You wanna crown his ass, then CROWN HIM!

BTW: I heart David Taylor. I REALLY do. I want him to be a 4x National Champ AND go undefeated. But I'm not saying - EMPHATICALLY - that he will.

Roe Fox added to this discussion on November 15, 2010

If he gets by Sponseller I will be convinced.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on November 16, 2010

To me, it's not one individual, (although I would love nothing more than to be in Happy Valley if and when that match occurs), it's the entire thing. The demands of academics, the rigors of a BigTen schedule (that is, being able to perform night in and night out), illness, injuries...oh the dreaded injury bug...or just being in a funk for a two or three match period.

And really, it's more about the people saying that he will do it and then if he slips up, they are the first people to say, "Aw, he's washed up. He was never good anyway. He's finished."

I think maybe I'm upset with the inability of some to see the BIG picture.

This would go hand-in-hand with people that think a certain wrestler from their state thinks that wrestler owes them something as a fan, and MUST sign with the local University. Give me a break.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on November 16, 2010

Quote from Mark Niemann's post:

"It's some of the people I've talked to and some of the quotes on line that - and I guess this is my MAIN point - based on his first match and a bit on his second, he's going undefeated and winning 4 national titles.

"

Mark...Do you really hear people calling for Taylor to be the next Cael? Are there people saying he'll never lose? I know I've picked him to win the NCAA Tourny this year, but I've never said anything about going undefeated and I've never looked forward to multiple titles (although, if I'm being honest, I think he'll win a couple).

I actually think I said he'll take a few losses, maybe even as late as the Big Ten Tourny this season. When you look at 157 THIS YEAR, David Taylor looks very promising, but he's not leaps and bounds better than Hall or Fittery or Sponseller or Welsh or Lister. He had a very competitve bout in freestyle with St. John this summer.

My point is that at 157, this year, the field is very close and there's no one guy that stands out. In that environment, a freshman with Taylor's skills, coaching and work ethic stands a solid chance at bringing home some hardware.

Now looking forward, who knows??? The landscape of Taylor's weight class may be completely different in the years to come. Things change. Maybe he'll move up to 165 and have to deal with the likes of Andrew Howe or some other young gun we're not even thinking of.

Long story short, I think you can sing Taylor's praises and even pick him to win the 157-pound title this year without being unrealistic or overhyping him (a la Sponseller's freshman year).

Quote from Michael Rodriguez's post:

"

Long story short, I think you can sing Taylor's praises and even pick him to win the 157-pound title this year without being unrealistic or overhyping him (a la Sponseller's freshman year)."

You can. The playground legend can. But some people can't. I was on flo, gohio, pawr... for some, it never stopped. He's the man! He's next undefeated 4xer. He may be! AND I WOULD LOVE IT! But let's be honest...as you, the legend and Ethan Moore have been.

And yes, Sponseller's freshmen year was EXACTLY what I was thinking about listening to this.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on November 16, 2010

OK, I went over to Flo to watch the matches, but I don't post or even read what's posted over there. I just assumed you were talking about guys like me, since we've talked about Mr. Taylor from time to time.

Hey, I'm looking forward to Saturday. I miss my weekly dose of The Port. Is the scrimmage at the same place as open mats were?

Same place, different time.

And I was certainly NOT referring to you. Or the legend.

See you then...

Patrick Campbell added to this discussion on November 16, 2010

Quote from Mark Niemann's post:

"

It's some of the people I've talked to and some of the quotes on line that - and I guess this is my MAIN point - based on his first match and a bit on his second, he's going undefeated and winning 4 national titles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_N1OjGhIFc

Bottom line: You wanna crown his ass, then CROWN HIM!

BTW: I heart David Taylor. I REALLY do. I want him to be a 4x National Champ AND go undefeated. But I'm not saying - EMPHATICALLY - that he will."

Mark,

Anyone making those kind of claims has never stepped foot in a college wrestling room or been involved in the process. The process is long and unpredictable. The level of competition is so high these days that a number of guys in any give weight class can be the national champion. There are so many factors that go in to keeping your edge throughout a season, let alone a collegiate wrestling career. Yea, I think David has all of the tools to have a really special college and international career ahead of him, but geez, let's keep him healthy and on the mat. Let's see what his drive is like after the grind of his 1st season as a starter at PSU. Let's see how he handles college classes, the other things that go on in life outside of wrestling, and college wrestling. If you have ever spent a moment in the college wresling world, you would never crown him anything, because you understand just how difficult and special it is to even see that podium...let alone stand atop the thing. I know you know this...who cares what those other ding dongs think? We get to watch it all play out on the mat!

Greatest. Post. Ever. (that wasn't one of my posts, of course.)

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next