Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2

Discussion Topic: What an excellent weekend for the fan of college wrestling
Ben Golden added to this discussion on November 16, 2010

Mark, you need say no more. It's clear that you're a David Taylor hater. Maybe you should spend more time over at an Iowa message board somewhere!

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on November 16, 2010

HA HA HA!!!!!!! That one made me laugh.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on November 17, 2010

fyi-- head coach Kevin Dresser's newsletter talks about Ohio kids at Virginia Tech, i quote:

149 Brian Stephens has had a very good start. He knocked off an All American this past weekend from Edinboro. As his bottom work and his ability to finish takedowns against the top guys in the nation improves, he will elevate himself to highest level of his weight class.

165 Redshirt Harrison Hightower has also improved the last 30 days. Harrison's unique style is good and bad and he needs to figure out a way to score takedowns. When/if he does that, he will be really good.

141 Chris Diaz is really wrestling good right now. His focus might be the best on the team right now. He is getting it done in the room consistently for the first team in his career and it is showing on the weekends. Redshirt Freshman Zach Neibert had a great weekend at the Hokie Open knocking off an All American from Ohio and taking second to Chris. He stumbled and didn't wrestle well this past weekend at NC State however he will be really good when he gains consistency.

Recruits.

We signed the following guys last week and are very excited about all five (5)!! We also got a verbal from an Ohio junior that I can't mention who will eventually be a 184. This kid is really good right now!

1. Nick Brascetta (141-149 -157). Nick is from St Paris Graham OH, which is the same HS that Stephens and Neibert attended. This guy is good enough to make an immediate impact in Division I wrestling. This guy is good!! If family history means anything, he could start at 141 and maybe finish at 157. He is going to wrestle 140 this season.

125 RED shirt Ty Mitch has done a great job in two early season opens placing third and fourth respectively in the Hokie Open and the Michigan State Open. Ty has a ton of ability and is making improvements in the practice room. Freshman T.J. Mitchell is also doing good at this point. Time and discipline will determine T.J.'s future at VT.

Last edited by Bob Preusse on November 17, 2010; edited 1 time in total

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on November 17, 2010

Quote from Bob Preusse's post:

"We also got a verbal from an Ohio junior that I can't mention who will eventually be a 184. This kid is really good right now!

"

I wonder who that could be? When you think of upper weight juniors that could develop into 184#ers, only a couple of names jump out at me: Chaz Gresham and Huston Evans.

I think Gresham, in particular, is going to have a HUGE year. I see him dominating DII and giving the giving Phillips all he can handle at Ironman.

fyi MR,
i overlooked comments on 141 Zach Neibert, re-check post, i added Neibert comments. Dresser recruiting alot of SPG guys, he thinks they will be AA material apparently. Dresser former Iowa Hawkeye NCAA champ. s/BobP

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on November 17, 2010

I guess that would point to Evans rather then Gresham. I happen to think Gresham has a bigger upside.

Milkovich's featured in AmWrNews December issue, discussion of Pat as Michigan States "Face of the Franchise" by editor Ron Good-- and article on the family by veteran national writer Denny Diehl.

Also considerable discussion of Notre Dame college in the NAIA review.

and on Joe McFarland, N Olmsted and U of Michigan, on his battles with the great Barry Davis of Iowa. s/BobP

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on November 17, 2010

Kevin Dresser saved wrestling at Virginia Tech. He's doing the same thing that Borelli always did--recruiting kids that are just below the radar of major programs and coaching them up. Kent has also done this very well.

Virginia Tech is rising like a rocket and their depth is impressive.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2