Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next

Discussion Topic: Buckeye Duals Preview
Jason L. Jackson added to this discussion on November 16, 2010

Ohio State v. Pittsburgh

125 - Logan Stieber v. Anthony Zanetta
Watching Zanetta get beat by Boyle confirmed for me that Stieber will win this match, with a distinct possibility of bonus points. I am only calling for a decision, because I think Stieber will try to control the match from the top position, and I’m not counting on multiple turns.
Ohio State 3 - Pitt 0

133 - Ian Paddock v. Shelton Mack
Paddock will pick up bonus points, just not sure if it will be 4, 5 or 6. I will project 4, but really hoping for 6.
Ohio State 7 - Pitt 0

141 - Randy Languis v. Mike Tully/Tyler Nauman
This is huge, if Tully wrestles he picks up a decision, if Nauman is healthy and wrestles he picks up at least a major, and possibly a pin. I will call for the major.
Ohio State 7 - Pitt 4

149 - Sean Nemec v. Dane Johnson
Swing match. I am giving Johnson the edge, because he is coming off a big win over Grajales and has a lot of confidence right now, and I have no faith in Nemec.
Ohio State 7 - Pitt 7

157 - Colt Sponseller v. Donnie Tasser
Sponseller needs to put on a clinic here, and get some bonus points. I think he at least gets a major.
Ohio State 11 - Pitt 7

165 - Jared Kusar v. Adam Counterman
Another weight that I have no faith in for OSU, I see Counterman picking up the decision.
Ohio State 11 - Pitt 10

174 - Nick Heflin v. Ethan Hedlee
This will be a phenomenal battle, and Heflin’s true introduction to college wrestling. I’m quickly finding myself giving Heflin more credit than he’s earned. I am, however, going to be conservative, and call for the Hedlee decision.
Ohio State 11 - Pitt 13

184 - Peter Capone v. Max Thomusseit
Capone impressed me with two wins over a ranked Eric Cameron this past weekend, and I think he guts out a victory here. He has to, or Ohio State might be in trouble.
Ohio State 14 - Pitt 13

197 - C.J. Magrum v. Zac Thomusseit
Thomusseit comes off an impressive victory over Biondo, while Magrum took 2nd at the Buffalo Open. I think Magrum wins this one, close, however, it is probably 50/50.
Ohio State 17 - Pitt 13

285 - John Hiles v. Ryan Tomei
I am not a huge fan of Hiles, but, if he needs to keep it to a decision, he will.
Ohio State 17 - Pitt 16

Ohio State is clearly favored at three weights, 125, 133 and 157, and I expect bonus points at each weight (although I only projected it at two). Pitt is clearly favored at 141, 165 and 285. The difference is that I only expect bonus points at one of those weights. If either side is able to win three of the swing matches (149, 174, 184 and 197), that will more than likely swing the dual. Should be exciting.

Ohio State v. Nebraska

125 - Logan Stieber v. ?
Nebraska did not enter a 125 in the Cyclone Open, and didn’t have a wrestle-off at this weight. I am predicting a Stieber major, with the likelihood of a pin or tech.
Ohio State 4 - Nebraska 0

133 - Ian Paddock v. Ridge Kiley
Kiley won the Cyclone Open, but I don’t think he can stay with Paddock. Ohio State needs to pile up points early, and Paddock gets at least a major.
Ohio State 8 - Pitt 0

141 - Randy Languis v. Mike Koehnlein
Koehnlein will get the win, for sure, and probably one of those bonus points back.
Ohio State 8 - Nebraska 4

149 - Sean Nemec v. Ross Grande/John Svoboda
Nemec should win here, and, quite frankly, must win here.
Ohio State 11 - Nebraska 4

157 - Colt Sponseller v. Cody Magrew
Sponseller will be facing a freshman, and his high intensity style will eventually wear the youngster out, and end up in a major.
Ohio State 15 - Nebraska 4

165 - Jared Kusar v. Jordan Burroughs
This is where the comeback begins. Kusar’s job is to get teched and not pinned.
Ohio State 15 - Nebraska 10

174 - Nick Heflin v. ?
I couldn’t get a good hold on who is at this weight for Nebraska. Either way, I think Heflin picks up the win.
Ohio State 18 - Nebraska 10

184 - Peter Capone v. Josh Ihnen
Capone needs to avoid bonus points here, and I think he will.
Ohio State 18 - Nebraska 13

197 - C.J. Magrum v. Andy Johnson
Magrum should be able to put the dual away at this weight, although I am not 100% sure who will be here for Nebraska.
Ohio State 21 - Nebraska 13

285 - John Hiles v. Tucker Lane
Hiles is in for a tough day with two top 10 opponents. If he keeps both to decisions I will be happy.
Ohio State 21 - Nebraska 16

Ohio State is clearly favored at 125, 133, 157 and 174. Nebraska is favored at 141, 165, 184 and 285. There are two toss up matches, and, right now, I have both going to OSU. Should Nemec or Magrum lose, the dual swings the other way. I see a lot of bonus points in this one as both teams seem to have strengths where the other’s weak weights are.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Jack Muni added to this discussion on November 16, 2010

Any word on Palmer? I know it's early, and it's a long season.

Nicholas Sestito added to this discussion on November 16, 2010

From those videos with Lance, Collin seems well enough to roll, he just needs to be officially cleared by the medical staff. Everyone's taking it very cautious, it was staph after all. I'm hoping it happens soon.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on November 17, 2010

Nicholas: I'm not too sure all of us get those two points all the time...

#1) it WAS a staph infection. I'm guilty. I've never had it but I should be more aware of the dangers.

#2) OFFICIALLY cleared. Coaches, family, Collin himself could say, "I feel great!" But until the medical staff does their work, he's a no-go.

BTW: Which videos are you referring to? :-D

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on November 17, 2010

Jason: It's your post and I enjoy reading it. But, for better or worse, everything you say is public. Stating that you have "no faith" in any wrestler is something you might reconsider.

Incidentally, Nikko Triggas began last season with a suspect showing at Oklahoma Gold. Indeed, he got smoked by Pat Harrington at the tourney. By season's end, Triggas was wrestling very well. Nemec is making a big weight cut and it's got to be an adjustment. I'm not a fan of either him or Sponseller moving down--don't see the need for it--but he deserves patience. And, yes, like you I was shocked he lost to David Habat. I suspect he was out of energy by the time he got to his 3rd/4th match. There could have been another issue. We'll see.

Jason L. Jackson added to this discussion on November 17, 2010

Trust me, I am hoping that Nemec will prove me wrong, and I will gladly eat crow if that happens. I thought when hearing that Sponseller was dropping that Nemec would go up. He lacks quickness in his shot or defense, so going down a weight, to wrestle quicker guys, didn't seem to me to be the right move.

Maybe he can pull a Jaggers or Triggas and rebound from some early season losses and have a productive season. I hope so.

I think the Bucks can be much better than most people believe if Nemec and Collin Palmer can be solid wrestlers. Stieber is, for the first time in his life, underrated and overlooked. People seem to forget that he beat Sanders after his sophomore year in high school, beat Hazlewinkle last summer, and had Escebedo beat, and that that he majored Devin Carter, everyone's new favorite frosh, last year.

Paddock is a beast. I just read that he got bonus points in 60% of his wins last year. I think he makes the leap to national title contender this year.

No one in college wrestling is better equipped, mentally and physically, to make a weight drop than Colt Sponseller, and I think he will be outstanding. He may not dominate every lesser opponent like in the past, but he will be more successful against the top guys this year.

Heflin looks like a stud in the making, and I am looking forward to seeing how he does against Hedlee. I picked against him against every instinct that I have.

Magrum is so talented, I just wonder if he is big enough for 197. Hopefully he can jump to podium contender this year.

I'm sorry for my negativity, I just type honestly. I will be the first in line to congratulate Nemec and any other Buckeye if they prove me wrong.

Go BUCKS!!!!!

Nicholas Sestito added to this discussion on November 17, 2010

http://www.gohiocasts.com/event/main/video/id/237752-Ohio-State-Wrestling-2010-GOhioCasts/vid/361922-Palmer-v-Palmer-I

http://www.gohiocasts.com/event/main/video/id/237752-Ohio-State-Wrestling-2010-GOhioCasts/vid/361923-Palmer-v-Palmer-II

http://www.gohiocasts.com/event/main/video/id/237752-Ohio-State-Wrestling-2010-GOhioCasts/vid/361925-Palmer-v-Palmer-III

Granted, they're not going at full bore, so that's not any indication of him being healthy enough to go in the Big Ten. At least he's on the mats doing something.

Jason L. Jackson added to this discussion on November 17, 2010

Read an article in the Buckeye Sports Bulletin that said Colin has been cleared, the staff is going to ease him in slowly. I would guess he would be making an appearance in the lineup shorly after Christmas. Hopefully by the match against tsun.

Matt Hall added to this discussion on November 17, 2010

Looks like we'll be able to watch the duals live!

http://www.ohiostatebuckeyes.com/liveEvents/liveEvents.dbml?SPSID=89331&SPID=10403&db_oem_id=17300

John Taylor added to this discussion on November 17, 2010

According to Ohio State Athletics official site. Collin Palmer is listed as Starting for this weekends Buckeye duals in their official release. No Mention of anyone else for that weight.

Roe Fox added to this discussion on November 17, 2010

If he has had to deal with half of what has been reported, it is amazing he is in the line-up this weekend. Good luck to him and the Buckeyes.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on November 17, 2010

Nicholas: Those are the SWEETEST videos EVER!!! The person that taped that is the best. Thank him for me if you ever run into him. I bet he has an amazing personality, a rapist's wit, and one heck of a model American! :-)

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on November 18, 2010

[quote="Mark Niemann"] a rapist's wit,

I think you mean "rapier" wit--at least that's the expression with which I am familiar.

Gary Sommers added to this discussion on November 18, 2010

[quote="Hank Kornblut"]

Quote from Mark Niemann's post:

" a rapist's wit,

I think you mean "rapier" wit--at least that's the expression with which I am familiar."

Good point, Hank.

How witty is a rapist, anyway? Not very, I wouldn't think.

Jason L. Jackson added to this discussion on November 18, 2010

http://www.nwcaonline.com/nwcaonline/results/ColScorebook/TeamInfo.aspx?SchoolYear=2011&ID=30045

Here is the OSU team page on the NWCA site. You can access all of the live scoring updates from here. The Ohio State official site said that the Buckeye Duals would be covered on there.

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next