Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Discussion Topic: Thoughts on Nemec and Sponseller moving down a weight class
Gary Sommers added to this discussion on November 22, 2010

Quote from Bob Preusse's post:

"GS typically posts a shot, "Or did I forget that EVERYTHING is okay at Ohio Stare?" ---

spare us GS, its U of M thats under recent NCAA investigation for football practice violations. And I see a couple Fab 5 basketballers didnt show to be honored this weekend at U of M, seems Chris Weber not allowed on campus for illegal accepting money and NCAA banners from his era were taken down.

So give it a rest. Ohio st has had problems at times, but not often. No ones hands are completely clean, for sure U of M's aren't.
--------------------------

BTW, I think all ohio states Upperwts might be moving down a wt 174 thru 197.

Big mistake not geting Max Thomusseit, cant let the ohio elite get away....he would fit fine with Courts, too, let em work it out whose 197 and whose 184. s/BobP"

That is absolutely correct, Bob. And I have never, here or elsewhere, condoned what Rodruguez apparently did.

And of course Webber is allowed "on campus, he just cannot be officially affiliated with the University. But the campus is public property, belongs to the State of Michigan to be exact. There is no restraining order against him.

And absolutely this kind of stuff goes on everywhere, but in this case it was bragged about as something positive that Coleman did. If laws were broken, and that was why I was asking the question, I am not so sure it should be brought up in any positive light.

Now, what was the drinking law at the time Coleman was taking these guys out?

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Patrick Campbell added to this discussion on November 22, 2010

Quote from Michael Rodriguez's post:

"Well, Coleman was there about twenty years ago. Wouldn't that fall in those years where honesty and integrity were running rampant?"

That's funny!

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on November 22, 2010

no one i know, nor the Ohio St U, is "bragging about any laws being broken".

Ohio state U bars people from campus, i know of an athlete kicked off football team for having firearm on campus who was barred-- so it happens. s/BobP

"no one I know, nor the Ohio St U, is "bragging about any laws being broken".

Ohio state U bars people from campus, I know of an athlete kicked off football team for having firearm on campus who was barred-- so it happens. s/BobP"

I NEVER said it doesn't, just not in this case. Somehow, and maybe it is just me, I don't equate bring a firearm onto a campus with taking some booster's money. Nor do I compare taking a booster's money or having kids practice too long with facilitating underage drinking.

There are rules, and then there are LAWS!

don't understand your geting upset-- i merely said U of M has their own problems, which is true. So don't point fingers.

i said former students have been bared from Ohio St U campus, and that is true.

i said no one i know or Ohio st U brags about laws being broken, and that is true. So settle down, high blood pressure is a silent killer. s/BobP

James Vespa added to this discussion on November 22, 2010

While Hank did use nightlife as an example, his point was not about that. It was about the "bad boy / bruiser / Iowa-esque" image that Coleman brought with him into the Ohio State room and to the team, which was a part of his influence on the success of the Buckeye wrestlers of that time.

Don't make this out to be something it isn't. That would be like watching "Vision Quest" and delving into a heated debate on shooting a basketball during wrestling season because there was a scene of Loudon playing one-on-one with Mr. Tanneran.

"don't understand your geting upset-- I merely said U of M has their own problems, which is true. So don't point fingers.

I said former students have been bared from Ohio St U campus, and that is true.

I said no one I know or Ohio st U brags about laws being broken, and that is true. So settle down, high blood pressure is a silent killer. s/BobP"

Bob, where was the "upset"? Heck, you are the one who directed your comments at me first.

And I believe I was just asking if the drinking age was 18 or 21 when Coleman took these guys out. What 'finger pointing' is there in a question?

I believe that former OSU students have been, though you also said Webber was barred from U of M, and that is just not true. Again, he broke a rule NOT a law.

I never said anyone at the University bragged about it, but someone on here used it as some example of good coaching.

Now, again, what was the legal drinking age at that time? I would like to be fair, but your constant ducking of that question makes me wonder.

James, then tell me what it was. Did a University employee, and an authority figure no less, facilitate illegal drinking by underage students? That was ALL I was asking from the start. And sorry, but as a taxpayer of the State that is a legitimate question.

"Bob, where was the "upset"? Heck, you are the one who directed your comments at me first."

well GS, you have made SO MANY derogatory remarks about Ohio St U --and youve enjoyed making them-- i don't apologize for calling you on it.
---------------------

"I never said anyone at the University bragged about it, but someone on here used it as some example of good coaching."

GS, who cares what someone on a forum says? that doesnt reflect on the University or its alumni. Many millons of dumb posts are made every day on forums, big deal. i disregard them. s/BobP

You 'called' me on what, asking a question? Was the drinking age 18 or 21 then? Why do you keep ducking this?

If you don't care what 'someone on a forum says' (e.g. me) then why did you "call" me on something and delight in not apologizing for it? Why aren't you simple 'disregarding' me?

Can anyone please explain him to me?

I am done on this one, guys. I know it has gone too far.

John Flanigan added to this discussion on November 22, 2010

Depends on what they were drinking. It was legal to drink beer at the age of 19 in OH if you were born before September 1, 1968. Those who met that date were grandfathered in, but only for beer, and had to wait until 21 for everything else.

Steve Lester added to this discussion on November 22, 2010

Who remembers the dishwater that was called 3.2% beer?

BTW, despite his foray into MMA I never pictured Lance Palmer as having anything like a bad boy image.

Rick Wasmer added to this discussion on November 22, 2010

Drinking age was raised to 19 in 1982, then 21 in 1987.

Thanks Rick!

I admit I am not disciple of Ohio State wrestling. When was Coleman coaching there?

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on November 22, 2010

You guys have gone mad!

A guy on this thread says it okay to shoot a basketball on here and NOBODY says a word!? Hell, he practically endorses one-on-one pick-up games for conditioning!

And it goes unnoticed. Well I noticed and I will NOT let it slide.

You, sir, have to go. I won't tolerate it.

Heads will roll.

Long live Thompson High School!!!!!!!!!

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on November 22, 2010

Posted November 22, 2010 - 2:28 pm:

Quote from Gary Sommers's post:

"I am done on this one, guys. I know it has gone too far."

Posted four-and-a-half hours later:

Quote from Gary Sommers's post:

"Thanks Rick!

I admit I am not disciple of Ohio State wrestling. When was Coleman coaching there?"

Niemann... You're killing me. BTW, I'm still sore from Saturday.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next