Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next

Discussion Topic: Video of Dustin Kilgore knocking off national #1 Cam Simaz
Bob Preusse added to this discussion on November 22, 2010

watch this GREAT match, #2 at 197 Dustin Kilgore of Kent St & Berea edges #1 Cam Simaz of Cornell, 10-9 this weekend. WOW, what a great upperwt match!

http://gohiocasts.com/coverage/237875-Body-Bar-Invitational/video/368579-197-lbs-finals-Cam-Simaz-Cornell-vs-Dustin-Kilgore-KSU

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Brian Morrow added to this discussion on November 23, 2010

Kilgore new #1!

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on November 23, 2010

perhaps one of our posters Rex Holman, Ohio St NCAA champ in 1993 at 190 lb, can analyze this excellent match for us-- what each guys strengths are, what he thinks of this match, how it might go if they meet again, tactical errors anyone of them made ?? s/BobP

Rex Holman added to this discussion on November 23, 2010

Bob-
I watched it twice, so far. Here is what I saw.

Stylistically this is a neat match because both wrestlers move forward and create a lot of positions.

Kilgore scored twice off head inside single legs and got into trouble when he put his head on the outside. Simaz is excellent at two things in particular: countering when man is on knees and has lost upward momentum and wrestling through a situation until it is an advantage position.

Kilgore took a bad shot and ended on his knees after his initial td. That was a no-no. You can't do that and expect to win a Championship. All shots must be gold.

Secondly, during the extended flurry, Kilgore went to the body and ended up getting reversed as there was still a lot of "play" in the situation---there was still a scramble to be had. When Kilgore reversed, he finished low on the legs. Low finishes can be much safer, higher percentage and less scrambling for the opponent as hips are close to mat and it is more difficult to generate movement. However, it is predicated on being in the right position and Kilgore was in the right position to engage that finish.

So, for Kilgore to prepare for Simaz in a rematch, stick to the head inside single leg attacks. If Kilgore gets to the front headlock (and he will) finish on a single leg and score two unless you have a lock on the cradle or the can opener. Avoid the extended scrambles by limiting the situation and scramble. Tie up Simaz' wrists on top(it will slow him down and you will amass riding time)NO BAD SHOTS.

I will probably add to this assessment as this was logical feedback, not creative reflection.

Ben Golden added to this discussion on November 23, 2010

Awesome, Rex. Thanks.

Sometimes I'm surprised because probably 90% of Kilgore's takedowns this season have come off of head-inside singles. You'd think people would watch for it, but apparently he's just perfected it to the point that it doesn't matter if they know it's coming or not. No one has been able to stop it.

Ben-
Kilgore scores an excellent (expert)at the head inside position. Some of his other positions have not acquired quite that level of competency. As with any championship performance, it relies on creating positions of competency with frequency while limiting those of your opponents. Dustin Kilgore has as good a probability of winning as anyone but he can greatly improve his odds if he continues to progress in some positions while continuing to create those positions in which he is expert.

Now with regard to no bad shots, his poor shot was likely the result of being overwhelmed in the moment and finding himself in bad position. So, no poor shot means successfully dealing with sensory overload and ambiguity

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on November 23, 2010

When I watch Kilgore I respect his technigue a great deal, but he is so powerful and strong that he can almost do whatever he wants. I've seen him turn people with a 3/4 nelson, which is brute strength at it's best. He truly has an appropriate nickname.

I think Scribe, on the national forum, said it best when he coined Kilgore as a "wreslter's wrestler."

I like his opinion on the summer, too, which he discussed on an interview with Zeb. He went to Alaska, enjoyed the outdoors, and came back hungry to compete.

Ben Golden added to this discussion on November 23, 2010

Quote from Rex Holman's post:

"Ben-
Kilgore scores an excellent (expert)at the head inside position. Some of his other positions have not acquired quite that level of competency. As with any championship performance, it relies on creating positions of competency with frequency while limiting those of your opponents. Dustin Kilgore has as good a probability of winning as anyone but he can greatly improve his odds if he continues to progress in some positions while continuing to create those positions in which he is expert.

Now with regard to no bad shots, his poor shot was likely the result of being overwhelmed in the moment and finding himself in bad position. So, no poor shot means successfully dealing with sensory overload and ambiguity"

If you had to choose one more takedown/position on which to improve, which would you suggest a guy like him focusing on?

I would put a couple of wrinkles into his head inside single so that he is finishing high and low with equal consistency. Also, it would not hurt if he developed a complementary set up to his existing set up arsenal. He does a lot wrist ties and snaps to the head. An elbow pass with side snaps could generate more activity without being as predictable. As you said, people knows what he is going to do, but he still does it anyway. However, when you get down to the nitty gritty end of season, coaches scout and create tactical plans to neutralize a wrestler's strength. Too much predictability could become a problem.
Also, position specific wrestling when fatigued could go a long way. Kilgore was beat in a couple of situations. Address the loss of position, identify the solution and start in the position of question until it is mastered. Specifically, being behind opponent and still having to score points. Think Ryan Bertin, drop to single, low tackle, work up the body. When masterfully done, it scores and accumulates riding time.

Last edited by Rex Holman on November 24, 2010; edited 1 time in total

Leo Zimmer added to this discussion on November 24, 2010

Rex,

Seems (at least in this match) he sets that head inside single up with a little misdirection. I agree that Simaz won't fall for that again.

Also, I noticed some (overly?) aggressive hand fighting that forced him out of position. Would you chalk that up as a mistake on his part, or credit Simaz for forcing that action?

Boy he is fun to watch.

Rex Holman added to this discussion on November 24, 2010

Leo-
Handfighting is primary to position. Your ability to move your opponent out of position through handfighting while maintaining handposition in order to counter and defend are determinant of success.

Being overly aggressive when your opponents hands are still in position is a mistake. But, it was a lack of good handfighting and being a little overzealous in an attempt to shoot which caused the mistake.

I would say that he did not do what was needed to create a substantial opportunity that warranted a shot for lack of better handfighting. This might be what you meant. It would cross wires in my brain and not compute if I thought of it as you said it.

Kilgore is adept at getting his opponents to reach. He is excellent at just needing a small opening in terms of his opponent's lapse of position due to his quickness (at changing levels and penetrating) and strength. He will score offensive takedowns against everyone he wrestles due to this ability. I think he scores on Simaz again from neutral position with same or similar takedown. However, I think Hahn will have made effort to improve Simaz' hands so that he attempts to limit Kilgore's scroing opportunities from the feet.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on November 24, 2010

"
I would say that he did not do what was needed to create a substantial opportunity that warranted a shot... "

Brilliant!

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on November 24, 2010

"I would say that he did not do what was needed to create a substantial opportunity that warranted a shot... "

I can't wait to use this in a sentence - in wrestling company or not - and pawn it off as my own!!!!!!!

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on November 24, 2010

Cruiser...I was thinking the same thing. Too many of the kids I work with just "decide" it's time to shoot rather than creating the opportunity, seeing it, and taking advantage of it.

Rex Holman added to this discussion on November 24, 2010

Alright, one more thing is bothering me about this match and it surfaced. Kilgore got dinged for a stalling call when he was on top and Simaz stood up. Kilgore does not look deliberate or focused when he gets to that position. It looks kind of like he is going through the motions of a situation that he does not really care to wrestle from. It shows as he is reacting to Simaz rather than being proactive. This is the position that could win or lose it for him in his next match with Simaz. So much is dependent upon that position. So, Mr. Kilgore find the uniqueness of that position, get excited about it and learn to love wrestling from it. All artists find beauty in the details. Each match is a painting of which you devise the detail.

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next