Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: David Taylor v. Walter Peppelman
Matt Hall added to this discussion on November 22, 2010

http://flowrestling.org/videos/play/370262-m2u00871

Slow start but it get's interesting about halfway through.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Patrick Campbell added to this discussion on November 23, 2010

Thanks for posting this link!

A few thoughts:

1. What happened to our 93lb kid whom was undersized for his weight classes? I was pleased to see David looking like a man at 157 and not a skinny boy. He was a little smaller than Peppleman, but not to the extent of any concern.

2. The injured knee could not have come at a worse time from the spectators point of view. And, just take the contacts out, you don't need them on the wrestling mat.

3. I love David's movement on the bottom. He NEVER waits it out. Move, move, and hand control. Ahhh those fundamentals. We seem to get hung up on mat wrestling in college wrestling from the top position, but David's work from the bottom was excellent today.

4. I was somewhat concerned about his aggression on his feet in the 1st period, but then, we've all been there and sometimes you just have to feel things out. Once he got on his feet in the 2nd period, he looked like D.T. again.

5. I have always appreciated David's approach to wrestling 3 full periods. He really took control of the match and just blew through the guy in the 2nd. I certainly attribute that to contditioning and skill, but also his overall approach to a match. The kid wears out his opponents from all 3 perspectives. We all remember his match with Collin. The 1st 30 seconds of that match would have led you to believe David was in trouble.

6. I won't crown him a 4 time national champ. I will say, every year we get to witness these new groups of highly skilled guys coming on the scene and it is pure joy. College wrestling will be more enoyable than ever to watch the next few years and I suspect that will continue to ramp up for some time.

7. And thank God, for all of the TV and FLO coverage...because we can't be everwhere all of the time to view these matches. It has been great getting to see quality wrestling on the internet for a few minutes each day. Keep up the good work on that!

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on November 23, 2010

Isn't it funny that it's BS when Taylor is hurt, but when Peppleman needs IT, it's perfectly fine???????

Huh... Weird.

The other thing I wanted to say (in pure jest of course), is that David has no problem resorting to kicking him in the ding ding when necessary :-o Now that's a well rounded wrestler! I'm kidding, please don't send hate mail. I would never encourage such things on anyone (other than a U of M wrestler...esp. if his initials were GS :-o, Gary has not had his dander up yet today, so I thought I would contribute. You may now get the last word, Gary...I'm kidding Gary. Take a deep breath. You make the forum intersteing....really).

And please don't think I was implying that I thought David was faking, I just thought the timing could not have been worse.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on November 23, 2010

great posts, coach.

"6. ... . I will say, every year we get to witness these new groups of highly skilled guys coming on the scene and it is pure joy. College wrestling will be more enjoyable than ever to watch the next few years and I suspect that will continue to ramp up for some time."

That's what I'm talking about.

Of all of the things I am privileged to do in life, I'm most jealous that I am not able to committ to coaching wrestling. I miss it! You are a fortunate man to still be able to be on the mat with the fellas!

Jim Wagnild added to this discussion on November 25, 2010

Would have liked to watch it but came up with "Sorry this video could not be found. It's possible it's been deleted"

► Add to the Discussion