Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next

Discussion Topic: Columbus, Ohio places bid to host 2012 Olympic Team Trials
Ben Golden added to this discussion on November 26, 2010

http://themat.com/section.php?section_id=3&page=showarticle&ArticleID=22780

I'm glad they put a bid in for this. I think Columbus would be a great location for an event like this, but I think Nationwide Arena would be a better venue than the Schott because of everything there is to do in the Arena District.

If you're interested, there's a poll on usawrestlingnation.com in the international forum where you can vote for where you'd like to see them be. That's USA Wrestling's own site, so the poll might actually carry some weight.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Fred Feeney added to this discussion on November 29, 2010

Does anybody think that Central Ohio would ever support this event? I don't think so. let's look at just 2 past events.

1991 - 1 year prior to Barcelona, there was a FILA event at St. Johns called the Grand Prix. It had EVERY major wrestler from around the world and the finals had less than 250 people attend.

2008 - NWCA All Star Match - Less than 1500 attended.

Why would anyone think Central Ohio would support this?

Why DOESN'T Central Ohio support big time wrestling events?

Just asking questions is all.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on November 29, 2010

Quote from Fred Feeney's post:

"Does anybody think that Central Ohio would ever support this event? I don't think so. let's look at just 2 past events.

1991 - 1 year prior to Barcelona, there was a FILA event at St. Johns called the Grand Prix. It had EVERY major wrestler from around the world and the finals had less than 250 people attend.

2008 - NWCA All Star Match - Less than 1500 attended.

Why would anyone think Central Ohio would support this?

Why DOESN'T Central Ohio support big time wrestling events?

Just asking questions is all."

I think this is a fair question. Looking to the past for future results is a good initial starting point.

Exposure to the big time events is a good start though. Perhaps that could lead to some interest.

One thing that may change this is the Ohio-RTC. I, personally, receive and search for results of people I'm more familiar with. I came across Shawn Bunch at Edinboro. But only for one year. I look for him now. Same with Travel D. J.D. and Tommy are more household names for us Central OH guys, but having the match here makes it much easier to support them IN PERSON!

And let's face it, if I buy a ticket to the event, the restraining order distance gets cut in half and Tommy knows it! ;-)

If Logan ORS's, there's another variable that could sway some things.

But anywho, I think it's a fair question.

ps: My brother still has the Grand Prix poster hanging in his room.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on November 29, 2010

If the question is, "Does anybody think that Central Ohio would ever support this event?", then the answer is clearly no. Selfishly, I hope the trials are in Columbus so I can go watch. But some part of me thinks they should hold the trials at the place that has the strongest support and attendance.

Rex Holman added to this discussion on November 29, 2010

It is Freestyle/Greco-Roman wrestling, which are not mainstream sports in the US. However, it is the Olympic Trials and Ohians (in some form or another) will be well represented.

The finals will be fairly well attended (by wrestling standards), although I won't hazard a guess, but, Nationwide can accomodate a lot of people. I think they had 18k+ for a UFC event. This is a large venue. Probably too big for Olympic Trials wrestling.

Fred Feeney added to this discussion on November 29, 2010

Rex,

Is there a way to get Central Ohio behind an event such as this?

Even Cleveland have had their issues..look at the National Duals...wasn't well attended...but then wasn't well attended when TOSU hosted it as well.

Akron has hosted the US Open...not sure how well that went over.

Would like to see it in Columbus...just not sure it would be well attended is all.

Ben Golden added to this discussion on November 29, 2010

Good point. The attendance at the US Open in Cleveland in the Spring was terrible. Columbus would send even fewer people, but the attendance might still be higher because out of state people might be more willing to travel to see the Olympic Trials.

I agree Nationwide (and the Schott, where the bid offers to host the event) will certainly hold way more people than necessary. I just suggested Nationwide because I think the Arena District is more friendly/exciting to out-of-towners.

Josh Lowe added to this discussion on November 29, 2010

The reason that big arenas are being wanted for bids are primarily related to floor space and back-end space.

Akron has the FILA Cadet/University Nationals in their fieldhouse. Cleveland hosted the U.S. Open this past year.

Rex Holman added to this discussion on November 30, 2010

Fred-
Target audience is wrestling fan and fan of the Olympics. There are a lot modalities to reach these audiences. There are a lot of ways to market the event to make it more of a must see rather than an oh yeah, that is going on.
The plan has to be a well thought out and executed. So far, most of the marketing has not worked, so it is either the product or the marketing or some combination of both.
I don't have an answer that is surefire. But, I think it would be realistic to draw 4-6k people for a finals trial in Columbus, OH. If some other event was held in conjunction with it, then more. Have a wrestling tournament the day after the event tied to the event named the Mini Olympic trials, kids would be ramped up to compete after seeing the finals. JMHO- Keck are you listening?

Ben Golden added to this discussion on November 30, 2010

I like that a lot, Rex. Seeing that kind of competition for those stakes and being a part of it (by wrestling afterward) is the kind of thing that inspires kids to want to be Olympians themselves.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on November 30, 2010

I like it, Rex.

If I'm tracking, let's say the finals of the trials are on a Saturday, are you suggesting a grade school and/or high school freestyle event on that Sunday??? Would it have to be a qualifier?

Any chance someone could run a clinic first and then have the tournament?

I love it but... what if the finals are on Sunday? That could hamper things.

And if any of this is to happen, who would spearhead this??? I'm down with helping, but can't lead. Just saying.

Some ideas.

Olympians would be on hand signing autographs, being accesible to the athletes. Selling their t-shirt and self promoting. A clinic beforehand would be nice. Maybe even a workshop of some sort. Day long circus of events. Booths available for products.

No qualifier. It would have to be on a Sunday and a one day tournament. No less, a Super Tournament, did'nt Bart already think of that.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on November 30, 2010

Maybe next year they could sponsor Ironman, Brecksville and have a strong presence at the State Tourney...maybe FloNationals as well? Get Ohio wrestlers and fans thinking Olympic Trials all season leading up to the Trials.

Ben Golden added to this discussion on November 30, 2010

Quote from Michael Rodriguez's post:

"Maybe next year they could sponsor Ironman, Brecksville and have a strong presence at the State Tourney...maybe FloNationals as well? Get Ohio wrestlers and fans thinking Olympic Trials all season leading up to the Trials."

Another great idea. If the only advertising is message board threads and emails to coaches, all of that will largely get ignored.

Nice idea Mike, a great event takes year round preparation and planning, not a rinky dink once and done promo. The presence at those events could be done relatively cheap.

I remember (when I was young and naive) talking to a buddy who played football for ASU. I asked what he was up to. He told me that he was working for the Fiesta Bowl. He partly explained to me the amount of work that goes into putting on a bowl game. Huge amount.

Olympic Trials for wrestling is a huge event in terms of the athletes along with the years spent training and skill level exercised.

It is an excellent product, but a niche product.

Does USA wrestling have the resources to market such an event? How are they going about marketing such an event? How much in the way of resources are they willing to channel into an event. Are they going about traditional ways of marketing that don't necessarily translate into people in the seats? I would tend to say based upon prior hx that resources are scarce and they rely on traditional means of marketing.

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next