Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2

Discussion Topic: Columbus, Ohio places bid to host 2012 Olympic Team Trials
Bob Preusse added to this discussion on November 30, 2010

"Does USA wrestling have the resources to market such an event? How are they going about marketing such an event?"
--------------------------

i can speak to this, somewhat, having been on the local organizing committee for the US Open last April, and next April, here in Cleveland.

The Q (where the Cavs play) up here was not available i am told-- and USAWR wants a venue like the Schott and the Q that has the CAPABILITY to promote, market, get sponsors and sell tickets.

USAWR is counting on them to do much of the heavy lifting, and why not, the Schott are pros at it (as would be the Q --but not the Wolstein up here where the US Open was held, it didnt qualify).

USAWR wants more than just a great facility, they want the whole package i.e. pros at promoting major events, thats who will get the bid for the Olympic trials. s/BobP

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Fred Feeney added to this discussion on November 30, 2010

Bob,

Is potential attendance a big factor?

It seems to me that the closer you get away from the Cleveland area, the less attendance there is at major wrestling events.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on December 1, 2010

"Is potential attendance a big factor?"
-------------------

Fred,

Pete Isais, USAWR event manager, and Larry Nugent USAWR marketing manager were here in Cleveland 2 months ago to meet with us and discuss the US Open next April. (BTW, Cleveland only got the event last JANUARY so there wasnt any time to promote it.)

Talking to Isais & Nugent and the Greater Cleveland Sport Commission people here, YES ATTENDANCE is very important--- so i am sure it would be too for the Olympic trials.

i think Columbus would be a great venue, its a city that gets alot of events-- i would think the Columbus Sports Commission would be experts at promoting, and i know the Schott gets alot of events too other than just OHSAA and Ohio St U stuff.

Fact is attendance is a problem ANYWHERE its held in America -- because its a FILA PROBLEM that wont go away. Americans aren't used to the rules, don't understand the rules, and when they do understand the rules Americans don't like some of the rules.

But i think we all agree since it features many of our countries greatest wrestlers, its well worth learning the rules, appreciating and supporting the event. Many well known Ohioans will compete-- Rowlands, Harry Lester, Hrovat and US Open champion J.D. Bergman-- as well as those traning at the Columbus OTC. So there will be interest.

in fact Andy Hrovat is living in RUSSIA right now training for the event, thats a story in itself.

A Whose Who of American wrestling will be in attendance, the John Smiths and Dan Gables and Baumgartners and Cael Sandersons, and Henry Cejudo's all will be at the Olympic trials-- its the Big Show. Bring your youth wrestlers.

US Open Cleveland had poor attendance, one big reason being we didnt get the Youth clubs and the high scool teams that we wanted --- thats what Columbus needs for attendance, youth clubs and high school teams, there will be special rates for them too. s/BobP

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2