Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next

Discussion Topic: Chattanooga 19, Ohio State 16
Roe Fox added to this discussion on November 10, 2007

Bad day in Tennessee apparently. Another site indicated Jaggers won, Palmer lost. No other details yet (that I could find).

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Brent Rastetter added to this discussion on November 10, 2007

Chattanooga 19, Ohio State 16
11/10/2007

125: Javier Maldonado (Chattanooga) dec. Nikko Triggas (Ohio State) 7-1
133: Reece Humphrey (Ohio State) dec. Stephen Hromada (Chattanooga) 8-4
141: J Jaggers (Ohio State) dec. Cody Cleveland (Chattanooga) 10-7
149: Joey Knox (Chattanooga) dec. Lance Palmer (Ohio State) 6-3
157: Seth Garvin (Chattanooga) dec. Jason Johnstone (Ohio State) 8-7
165: Nick Davis (Chattanooga) md. Robel Campbell (Ohio State) 16-6
174: Lloyd Rogers (Chattanooga) dec. Alex Picazo (Ohio State) 11-5
184: Mike Pucillo (Ohio State) tf. Josh Edmondson (Chattanooga) 18-2, 6:29
197: Matt Koz (Chattanooga) md. John Weakley (Ohio State) 11-2
285: J.D. Bergman (Ohio State) pin Matt Letner (Chattanooga) 0:28

Nicholas Sestito added to this discussion on November 10, 2007

Well, it's a bit shocking to see Palmer go down (although it was close), but the rest of our AAs did well, especially Bergman picking up the pin. I was a bit surprised at the decision to wrestle Weakley without giving Weinrich another go at some wrestling duals, and surprised to see Matt Koz back down at 197 after being at heavyweight last year. Otherwise, it's still early in the season and we'll build more steam as we get some more experience for the freshmen and what not. Also, the results were posted on the OSU website.

OSU/UTC Results

Jack Muni added to this discussion on November 11, 2007

I see OSU forfeited 149 in one of the other matches??? I was also surprised they went with Weakley instead of Weinrich. So much for redshirting. Johnstone lost a close one to Garvin, who's pretty good. It's early, and we still haven't got Sponseller back, but it was surprising Palmer lost. Thought Picazo would be a closer match also. But's it's early. I'm looking forward to Rutgers in 2 weeks.

Dan Cosimi added to this discussion on November 11, 2007

Article
http://www.ohiowrestling.net/articles/archives/122

Josh Lowe added to this discussion on November 11, 2007

Palmer losing is a bad loss. You're talking about a returning AA against a non-factor type of kid.
Freshman 125 wrestler losing to a legit NCAA qualifier that won matches, no shame.
Johnstone competed well against a quality kid that just has yet to have the chances to prove himself.
Freshman at 165 who is actually the backup. Nick Davis had solid HS credentials as I recall, transfer from Minnesota.
Picazo is the other disappointing loss beyond Palmer.
Freshman at 197 is never good - especially facing a kid with multiple NCAA tournament appearances and having multiple wins in each.

The thing about college wrestling is that the season - even including the conference duals - is glorified practice for the real two week season, conf. tournament and NCAA tournament in the present structure (all that to change next year).

Scott Nicola added to this discussion on November 11, 2007

Josh,
Certainly Palmer's loss was an upset but Knox was a 2x state champ and Fargo Placer and has two coaches close to his weight who world level wrestlers. Just because he hasn't been a factor in the past (presumably backing up Aaron Martin) doesn't mean he will not be this year or in the future.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on November 11, 2007

I think it's a lousy loss for a team that's trying to establish that it's a legit national power. While I understand how one upset can turn a dual (Palmer), I'm concerned with several outcomes from guys in this lineup that are not at their ideal wt classes. Even their wins are not what they should be. On the other hand, Bergman has looked far more impressive against "meatball" opponents at 285 than he did at 197. He's beating the tar out of these guys.

Bottom line is that UTC is either very underrated or the Bucks have some lineup issues that may prove difficult to rectify.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on November 12, 2007

Anyone know the story behind both teams having 1 team point deducted after Palmer's match?

Cliff Cahill added to this discussion on November 12, 2007

I heard it was on each bench for extended "discussion" with the ref

Dan Ransick added to this discussion on November 13, 2007

One would have to wonder if Palmer is under the weather quite a bit. They forefit 149 the other matches that day and could it be they were hoping he would be healthy enough to wrestle in that match.

I think the Buckeyes once they get Sponseller back they will be just fine. I think that the team will progress as the season goes on with Triggas and Weakley getting adjusted more and more to college wrestling.

At this point do you just redshirt Nemec unless he starts to roll over opponents at Opens and get him ready and experience for next year?

Jack Muni added to this discussion on November 13, 2007

I wondered the same thing about Palmer. Why would you forfeit 149 prior to the Chattanooga match, which I beleive was the last one wrestled? And Palmer's other match was a quick pin.

Dan Cosimi added to this discussion on November 13, 2007

125: Nikko Triggas - Lost to Maldonado (UTC). Maldonado is a veteran, ranked #8 in the nation, so it should be no surprise that Triggas lost. He is a true freshman and has wrestled in only two college events. I wonder how far ahead of Harrington and Touris he really is...

133: Reece Humphrey - Hasn't lost. Between him and Enright, we'll have an excellent wrestler here in every match. Humphrey lost only 6-5 to NCAA finalist Ryan Lang last year (at 141 pounds). The only issue with Humphrey might be a steep drop in weight.

141: J Jaggers - Hasn't lost. J was an All-American last year despite having a very shortened season due to injuries. Unless fate smites him again with an injury, he's on his way to another AA finish.

149: Lance Palmer - Lost to Knox (UTC), but the fact that he didn't wrestle in one or two of the other matches that day is a tell-tale sign that he wasn't 100%. Palmer at 100% split with NCAA finalist Josh Churella. No knock on Knox, but he's not Churella.

157: Jason Johnstone - Lost to Crenshaw (NDC) and Garvin (UTC), both by one point. Those are two NCAA D1 national qualifiers. One can't fault Johnstone much for that. Still, it's the Buckeyes and, like with the football team, people expect wins all the time.

165: Robel Campbell - Gotta give Campbell credit for toughing it out in there as a true freshman. However, to be competitive in the Big 10 right now, we need Colt Sponseller here.

174: Alex Picazo - Lost to Rogers (UTC). InterMat has Rogers ranked #18 in the nation and has Picazo unranked. I would have thought the opposite because Picazo did well at 184 when he last started (in 2005-2006) and Rogers didn't have a good record last year. It appears that InterMat made the right call. I'm not familiar with Rogers at all, but I was surprised at the 11-5 loss for Picazo. Maybe he's dropping a lot of weight right now and it just got to him in this match. I don't know.

184: Mike Pucillo - Hasn't lost. Pucillo's match against UTC was definitely the brightest spot for the Buckeyes. He won by technical fall over a NJCAA national champion. It appears that Pucillo is picking up right where he left off after his All-American finish last year.

197: John Weakley - Lost to Koz (UTC). Really, this should surprise nobody. Koz graduated high school as one of the most decorated wrestlers in St. Edward history, five years ago. Last year he was a point away from being an All-American, being knocked out by now-#1 Dustin Fox in that bout. Being a true freshman in only his second event in college, look for Weakley to improve a lot.

285: J.D. Bergman - Hasn't lost. He's my pick to win a national championship. Hopefully he stays as injury-free as possible.

Dan Ransick added to this discussion on November 13, 2007

I think that in the beginning a lot of true freshman will take some lumps especially against 5th year seniors like Koz. If Koz can maintain weight and stay healthy he could be a definate force at 197 all year long.

Bergman is beating people like he should beat them at heavy. Last year he would be close with people that he shouldn't be close with but this year I think with him not cutting weight he will be a lot better off.

I do wonder where Triggas stands ahead of Harrington and Touris. I think Bo is just way to light right now only walking at 124 but went 4-2 with one of those losses a default. I think that Harrington could definately see sometime in the starting lineup.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on November 13, 2007

I didn't notice that Palmer had forfeited his other matches. As someone that often read "tea leaves", I agree that's a tell-tale sign that he was not 100%. I'm kicking myself for not paying better attention.

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next