Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Discussion Topic: I'm for Tom Ryan
Lou Demas added to this discussion on December 23, 2010

Roe-

I think we view human nature different, I don't think Dan Gable and more importantly Dan Gable fans, would take kindly to the fact that one his former Natl. Champs decided 7 years later to post, he wished the Head coach would have stayed out of his way with his 1970's moves because, it should not be that hard to help someone. People that are unwilling to change or are unnaturally strong don't quite understand the subtlety of technical skills and the progressive nature of this sport."

Leo

I know I took the easy way out, by spending 8 years of my life in the Marine Corp and I missed out on all the drill, hard work and grind yet I still manage, taking the east way out, to become 3 Time ALL MARINE wrestler and place 2nd in the ARMED FORCES in greco, 3rd in Freestyle. All of this I did from the bleachers, because we all know how easy the Marine Corp is, you just tell em' your tired and they let you go take a nap. Did all this with without seeing the inside of a wrestling room, I did. Also, I know now, even though, my training partners and coaches were world team member's and olympic medalist, I should defer all things wrestling to a college nalt. champ because these men who got it done at the international level don't have the same authority as a US college natl. champ. Because we all know coaches should only be put in authoritative positions based on performance of how they did in college.
So Leo, you may have to sleep under Rex Holman Blanket in your Rex Holman singlet but I don't have to! Rex And I both know not always are the best wrestlers the best coaches, so if you would stop your hero worship for one moment and read my post you will find that my issue with Rex is not his knowledge of wrestling, it was for insulting people without cause and that in doing so he may alienate Russ and Marks fans therefore depriving the opportunity for them to learn from him.

Rex

My life experiences tell me there is right and wrong and your were wrong to insult your former team mate and coach. By your logic it does not make me right or wrong, just me! I think you are better than that or maybe I to hope for the best in people.

PS. Leo I'm sure you a pretty nice guy that might be trying to hard to defend a friend,or at least thats what i really hope your doing.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on December 23, 2010

Lou...Leo's post was funny and light hearted. It would have been the perfect opportunity for you to let it go.

Leo Zimmer added to this discussion on December 23, 2010

Lou... you have a PM.

Lou Demas added to this discussion on December 23, 2010

Quote from Michael Rodriguez's post:

"Lou...Leo's post was funny and light hearted. It would have been the perfect opportunity for you to let it go."

Michael,

Leo PM'ed me and let me know it was meant it to be funny, I apologized if i came off a bit harsh. I did not get that at first and overreacted.

I wish Everyone a Merry Christmas!!!

Rex Holman added to this discussion on December 24, 2010

Leo-

Appreciate the humor even when it could be construed as on me. Jack Nicholson's character in A Few Good Men was a lot of things and being a little off was one of them.

This whole thread should be retitled I have a beef with you.

Rex Holman added to this discussion on December 24, 2010

Mark-
IMO specialization and strategy play a much larger role at the collegiate level, however, your advanced kids with advanced skillsets should begin to learn those concepts and begin to implement them so long as it does not interfere with their ability to compete.

Some kids will get caught up(thinking) as opposed to doing and be unable to effectively implement a strategy or get so focused on one thing that they have tunnelvision.

Example, my dad scouted Randolph from Wadsworth my junior year at states. He was heavily reliant on getting an underhook and working to the body. My dad suggested throwing a Fraser headlock if it felt right. That is an example of a suggestion of a strategy. Also, included could be a leg attack, a ride, and an escape

Another example, Brett Terry of NA wrestled a Clyde wrestler in the first round of states. We obtained a video of the Clyde wrestler devised a simple strategy, not overly comprehensive. The one thing that stuck out about the wrestler is that he wrestled like a state champ for a period and then lost steam as the match rolled on. Brett was the kind of wrestler that if taken down, could get down on himself and lose focus. It was imperative that we programmed him to think that giving up a take down was not a big deal and the match would be won late into the match. True to form, he did get taken down and instead of dropping his head on the mat and punching it, he worked to a base and got out. Match went to ot and Brett got the take down. Basically, he did everything we asked of him. It was a beautiful thing. Teamwork.

That was fun.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on December 24, 2010

Thanks. I figured the difference between high school and college would be a factor. Same as inexperienced and experienced high school kids.

Great stuff. Thanks a mill.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4