Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next

Discussion Topic: Thoughts from MSU results
Ethan Moore added to this discussion on November 11, 2007

Just some general impressions that I wouldn't mind discussing with my fellow fans.

- Kilgore pins Honeycutt in the first. Yikes.

- David Erwin over Mike Miller 11-5. Erwin, fresh off of losing two matches in the PSU ranking matches, handles Miller on his way to the finals. I can only guess that Erwin was sick or injured last weekend. He is a legit AA contender. Miller is taking an Olympic RS.

- Aaron Hart, wrestling unattached, finishes 3rd at 125. Where will he end up? The ability is there, but I believe he has some academic struggles.

- Robby Michaels makes the finals at 157 in the FR/SO division. Impressive.

- Kurt Gross in for 3rd at 165 in the Open Division. Is he making the jump up in weight? He handled Effner, who handled Simpson.

- Some great match ups of young Ohio wrestlers. Straughn over Reedy in 2OT, Kilgore over Honeycutt, Boing over Pavlidova, Erwin over Miller. It's a lot of fun to watch these match ups at the next level.

- OU's freshman class has a ton of depth. Boing, Lindsey, Reedy, Weikman, and Purdue all with solid tourneys.

- Lindsey should step into the line up and be serviceable right away. He beat Torsten Gillespie, who is wrestling varsity for Edinbor, 6-3 for third place.

- James Myers looks to have a lot of upside, winning 5 matches.

- Same with Touris who won several matches.

- OSU has 3 solid 133's in the room. Livingston places 3rd, beating Deubel.

I'm sure I'll have some more thoughts. Wrestling season. Love it.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Don Mahon added to this discussion on November 12, 2007

James Myers from KSU went 2-2, and the correct spelling for the OU frosh is "Weinkam"

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on November 12, 2007

Among other things (much like those pointed out above) that jumped out at me, I think seeing Aaron Hart on the mat was the most surprising.

Any chance he returns to a BigTen school? Is he allowed to? If not, which school that is allowed to have him isn't going after him!?!

Robert Lambert added to this discussion on November 12, 2007

Congrats David Erwin and Aaron Hart. Great job!

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on November 12, 2007

Did I read that right? High school senior, Eric Cubberly took 3rd at 165? This kid has taken it to another level. Impressive.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on November 12, 2007

Michael Rodriguez: Was that in the open or under twenty division? Impressive either way, don't misread...not that you would. I'm just asking.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on November 12, 2007

Niemann...I believe he wrestled unattached in the 20 and under division. You're right, impressive either way. He had a great off-season with the Fargo AA and then the recent win over Winston at Super 32. He comes in next year at 165, his brother strong at 141, Sergent on the way at 125 and AA Mike Miller comes back from red-shirt. That's a nice core of Ohio talent they're building up there.

Dave Weaver added to this discussion on November 12, 2007

I didn't know high school kids could compete in a College open tourney. I am surprised more of the Top tier kids don't do it. I guess a good reason would be to stay away from the injury bug. Still that is impressive. What weight is he planning on wrestling this year?

Doug Noel added to this discussion on November 12, 2007

Quick thought- why would Nemec wrestle the open at 157 instead of fresh/soph tourney?

Tony Bradberry added to this discussion on November 12, 2007

It wasn't freshman sophmore i think it was under 20 wasn't it? maybe he is over 20?

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on November 12, 2007

Aaron isn't going back to a big ten school, he will be staying in state though.

Scott Nicola added to this discussion on November 12, 2007

If Nemec was over 20 he would not have been able to compete last year per OHSAA regulations. I assume he competed in the open division b/c OSU staff wants to guage how he will fair against the top tier competition. Also regarding hs kid at this open, Andrew Howe from Indiana placed 3rd in the open (not 20 and under) division losing only to 2x AA's Guillespie and Becker and taking 4th.

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on November 12, 2007

Wherever Hart ends up, he will be a success.

Brady - any hints?

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on November 12, 2007

OK--This isn't going to be popular but...

Did anyone notice how badly Ohio State performed at the MSU Open?

They sent twelve wrestlers and had one placer--Will Livingston.

Weinrich and Morrison--conceivable starters--had terrible tournaments. Another possible starter, Nemec, was entered in the open division and went 1-2. Jesse Campbell, who was supposed to be a recruiting steal at 285, went 1-2 in the soph/frosh division. Only Bo Touris, who went 3-2, did anything worth mentioning.

In addition, the Buckeye "varsity" team went down in flames against a mediocre UTC squad. Johnstone, Picazo and Palmer all lost winnable matches.

Given the quality of coaches and recruits of the last few seasons, my expectation of Ohio State wrestling is that it should be more impressive. Hopefully, this weekend was just a stumble in a long stride forward.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on November 12, 2007

I, too, thought they would have performed better at MSU Open. I was touting Weinrich after a good NDC match, but now I'm wondering...Livingston only lost one match, to his nemesis Gomez 4-2, which is nice to see, but with Humphrey & Enright at 133, he'd do well to redshirt this year. And Nemec's losses were close matches (4-2 against ranked Becker from Ind.); glad to see him going in the open division & not the fresh/soph. Johnstone won 2 of 3, a pin & MD and only lost 8-7 against a good Seth Garvin. At this point, unless he gets injured, I would keep Johnstone in the lineup. Palmer got off to a slow start last year, but I attributed that to being a freshman; ranked # 3, he should have won against Chattanooga.

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next