Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2

Discussion Topic: Thoughts from MSU results
Cliff Cahill added to this discussion on November 12, 2007

Hank it is early in the season with a very long bus trip into hostle environment. All of the upper classmen must perform for this team to win. Add some freshmen and sophmore to join in with Palmer and Pucillo and you will get the well rounded team of the gee weez kids. So Hank just settle down and get somewhere to watch the dual on TV and see how close it was and a few other situations and you will be back saying Go Bucks. The show will be on Matside in Columbus and in Cleveland.

When a person or organization steps up for wrestling in Dayton and Cincinnatti they too will be able to watch Matside.
You can see other thread for the call to arms for local people around the state to become a Matside rep with their local community TV channel.

The plus out of MSU is such a large squad in attendance when they took so many down south. Lot of kids still in the room. Nice. Seems like all are making weight and no injuries. It will be very interesting to see who they take to Vegas and how this crew handles that type of travel experience and what the injury report will look like going into the opening season. Hank, do you have your team Buckeye fan bus filled yet. It is up to fans to fill St. John with wrestling fans on their feet and not on their seat. The fans need to push this crew to the top this year via fan attendance to help with the shinning lights from seniors and juniors joined with higlighted performance from under classmen. It will be a while before you have such a line up with this many seniors and juniors and this many high quality second team backups as insurance for injuries. Add two sophomore AA. This is the year to get it on. Hank let's get it on. You get 5,000 in St. John and you will win. To think you win then get 5,000 fans is the wait until next year mentle state. Hank, it sounds like you agree this is the year to get it on. So, go around your town and fill your fan busses and let the excitement begin. There is one thought to keep in your mind. Alex making the call on TV in St. John when the crowd help T.J. beat the famous unbeaten #1 in nation. What would it be like with 5,000 looking for the win for most every match. The set up is there. Can this crew and the fans believe it enough to take this deep shot - the crowd will assure a great finish of each move when this great team turns it on.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on November 13, 2007

Ethan, he told me but I don't know if he cares if it is public information. I'll ask him and get back with you.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on November 13, 2007

Cliff:

Long bus rides into hostile territory? Do you think that explanation would work for Iowa? How about Minny or Mizzou? Aren't these the programs we are trying to emulate?

I'm a big OSU fan and want to see the program do well. I'm just pointing out that Coach Ryan was hired in part because there were far too many weekends like this one in the past. Ryan did a great job at Hofstra of improving the talent in his room. In his second season in Columbus, I hope our wrestlers show similar improvement.

Gary Corroto added to this discussion on November 13, 2007

Everybody needs to take a deep breath. The reason that this loss feels like such a let down is because the expectations for this team coming into the season are way too high. Tom Ryan and his staff are doing a very good job. Give them some time. This is not a wait 'til next year mentality. This is the reality.

This year Ohio State will be a very good tournament team. They have 4 big time tournament point scorers in Palmer, Jaggers, Pucillo and Bergman. 133 has potential to score points but is, as of yet, somewhat unproven. The rest of the lineup is filled with solid guys who have yet to prove it on this level. It takes time. For example, a kid like John Weakley is loaded with talent. We all know that, but anyone that thinks he can step into a Big Ten lineup at 197 and be counted on to produce consistently is being unrealistic. I think John will eventually be a multiple AA, but I also think that wrestling a Big Ten schedule as a true freshman he will do well to have a .500 record during this season.

I think as a dual meet team, this year, OSU is average. I am not shocked by the close loss to Chattanooga. They are a good team.

Bottom line is that this year OSU is going to lose it's share of dual meets. I think they will be top 5 or 6 in the Big Ten and I think their 4 big point scorers will push them into the top 10 in the NCAA. I think that next year they will be even better. They building a program with a solid foundation in Columbus. Relax and enjoy the progress.

Cliff Cahill added to this discussion on November 13, 2007

Hank,
Russ had his good trips and his bad. Tom puts his pants on like you and me and will have his good and bad. Iowa had a good roll and now it is someone else. Really, this is the pre-season. It is but the first tee. Then the trip situation was what it was. Not the reason for the loss - but it was a factor. The upper classmen must get it done and want to carry the ball and the crew must call their numbers and it will all work out.

I do agree Hank let's not have any wait to next year stuff and given the starting of Weakly at 197 it sure looks like the crew has it eyes on this year. Now I do not want a whole new discussion to start about 197 and the point be lost but it is simply the fact that the red shirt of waiting to next year was thrown away as they put this great freshman up against a great senior now given them two outstanding wrestlers at 197 for the year.

What we can do as big OSU fans is to fill 100 busses around the state with only 50 people per buss. The 5,000 crowd will turn up the intensity of all involved and it will get done. You need to fill just one bus Hank with 50 party animals of any age and then all will enjoy the trip BOTH ways.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on November 13, 2007

I look at the season this way; we have 4 All-Americans out of 10 weight classes right now. It's early in the season, things are sorting themselves out right now. By late January, early Feb. the intensity will start to build. Give me 2 more All-Americans out of the group (and I don't think it is inconceivable to think Humphrey, Enright or Johnstone couldn't step up to the next level) and I have 6 out of 10 weights with All-American type talent. And I'm not even thinking our freshman will be in that group. Who knows what Sponseller will do when he comes back? Or what will Triggas and Weakley be like with 2 months of college wrestling under their belts? This is what attracts me to this team. I can't wait for the Rutgers match. Go Bucs <clap>

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on November 13, 2007

See you on the 26th!!!

<sign_oh>

Luke Moore added to this discussion on November 13, 2007

Didn't OSU lose to the same team last year and still have four AAs and a top ten finish. I am pretty sure I was at the dual and saw Palmer get stuck, and he ended up third. They will be OK, just let the season play out. If there is anything wrestling tells us over and over it is that titles are not won or lost in November.

On another note, this thread was started to talk about all Ohio wrestlers and how they performed at the open. It seems that every thread on these boards ends up being an Ohio State forum. let's not forget guys like erwin,Kilgore, Lindsay, etc

Dan Cosimi added to this discussion on November 13, 2007

Luke:
Yeah, I was going to do that and then my post started getting huge so I didn't finish it.

31 wrestlers from Ohio placed at the Michigan State Open, which is excellent. I think Ohio University had 6 or 7 freshman place. Kent State had Kurt Gross end up 3rd in the open and Dustin Kilgore winning the title in the 20-and-under division with a pin over Chris Honeycutt. Cleveland State had Marcus Effner with a 5th in the open and Rob Michaels won a title in the 20-and-under division. Findlay had a good showing as well. David Erwin, the only open division champ from Ohio, won a field that included returning All-American Mike Miller.

Don Mahon added to this discussion on November 14, 2007

One match I found interesting, OU's Tommy Weinkam over Michael Lybarger from Findlay. Last year Weinkam's teammate Lindsey beat Lybarger in the state final 8-6 in OT at 140 lbs. Now up at 157, not even close - Tommy majoring him 11-1. Big jump 140 to 157, different rooms, what else?

Luke Moore added to this discussion on November 14, 2007

The more impressive thing was that Weinkam lost his first match and then won 6 in a row to place third. That is not easy to do.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2