Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next

Discussion Topic: Another PSU addition
J.P. Barner added to this discussion on December 28, 2010

Added Andrew Long, NCAA finalist from ISU as a transfer this week. Eligible immediately, as he was suspended from the ISU squad for repeated alcohol violations.

Thankfully for Cael, there are no bars in State College. :)

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on December 28, 2010

Cue the Gary outrage.

Alex Creech added to this discussion on December 28, 2010

I see they have him on the roster already at 133, which was one of their weak weights. They are going to be tough to beat.

Roe Fox added to this discussion on December 28, 2010

Quote from Michael Rodriguez's post:

"Cue the Gary outrage."

I thought the same but actually would not disagree. . .except the outrage part. It still is just a sport.

It is nice TOSU isn't bailing with malcontents or those otherwise ineligble to compete for their original schools. I believe in most cases people should get a second chance. He had it at ISU and couldn't do what it took to get back on the team. Yet, Cael the perfect (and by the way I am a fan) took this guy who conveniently is at a weight they need.

He adds a lot of talent to the squad and also a bunch of team points at NCAAs.

Jamie Teel added to this discussion on December 28, 2010

I am the biggest Ohio State koolaid drinker in the world.....but please please PLEASE don't insinuate that the Buckeyes would not have given Andrew Long a chance.

Brian Morrow added to this discussion on December 28, 2010

Have to say I agree Jamie even though I hate to say it. Cael just drawing in top talent. Man I hope this class next yr lives up to the hype. If Not with what Penn St doing we may be left in dust. I am a Huge buckeye so I am going to keep keep the faith they will.

Roe Fox added to this discussion on December 29, 2010

Quote from Jamie Teel's post:

"I am the biggest Ohio State koolaid drinker in the world.....but please please PLEASE don't insinuate that the Buckeyes would not have given Andrew Long a chance."

I suppose we'll never know but with this guy being a multiple offender at his own school -- per internet reports -- my personal opinion is I don't think so.

Going forward it will be an interesting comparison between what Brands did with the VT wrestlers and what Cael will do with these guys. He has added two highly ranked recruits from ISU (Taylor and now Long)to a great recruiting class at PSU.

I'm not arguing over the difference in how it happened; just interested in seeing if he can pull off the title with the "bonus" talent the way Brands did.

Laurel Miller added to this discussion on December 31, 2010

I noticed that the PSU roster already has him pictured, but he is in his IOWA STATE warmup. Did they rush alittle too fast to get his listed??

Gary Sommers added to this discussion on January 2, 2011

Quote from Michael Rodriguez's post:

"Cue the Gary outrage."

Nothing the NCAA allows, or disallows, 'outrages' me. But seriously, you get kicked off for that at one school with morals and ethics and can immediately be eligible at another school that must have neither?????

You guys agree with that?

Quote from Jamie Teel's post:

"I am the biggest Ohio State koolaid drinker in the world.....but please please PLEASE don't insinuate that the Buckeyes would not have given Andrew Long a chance."

That's for sure. Good God, look at what they are allowing at the Sugar Bowl. The guys 'promised they would be back next year'. Coach SweaterVest should be a standup comic with that one.

Grant Varnum added to this discussion on January 2, 2011

not sure why everyone is surprised by the promises...i mean, who out of these guys really has a chance at being drafted before the 5th or 6th round?!?! none of them are looking at big money yet...they still have a lot to prove...

that all being said, here's to hoping that this young man can make the most of his second chance...we all make mistakes in life, and hopefully he learned from it, and gets back to the top.

THAT all being said, what a friggin lineup at PSU for the next 3 years....good grief...

Ben Golden added to this discussion on January 2, 2011

Quote from Grant Varnum's post:

"not sure why everyone is surprised by the promises...I mean, who out of these guys really has a chance at being drafted before the 5th or 6th round?!?! none of them are looking at big money yet...they still have a lot to prove..."

I think Posey could go earlier than that, but you're right. It's not in their best interest to leave now.

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on January 2, 2011

Interesting question - could it be in the program's best interest for them to leave?

Rex Holman added to this discussion on January 2, 2011

Ethan-
I don't think so. Pryor and Posey are big time game influencers, especially with one more year under their belt.
Herbstreit saying "addition by subtraction" was meant to say that their actions would be divisive to the team. I don't agree.
The stuff they sold does not hold symbolic value to them. I actually applaud them for not getting caught up in the hype of material possessions.
They broke rules set forth by the NCAA. The NCAA rules are at best a means to maintain control and grow their organization.
These guys make millions for the NCAA, Universitiy and local businesses. Deep down, I don't think they really want to say bye to Pryor.
OSU is a title threat again next year with Terrelle in charge.
When asked what he thought about Herbstreit's comments. Pryor replied with what is his record against Michigan. (0-4-1). Nice comeback!

Quote from Grant Varnum's post:

"not sure why everyone is surprised by the promises...I mean, who out of these guys really has a chance at being drafted before the 5th or 6th round?!?! none of them are looking at big money yet...they still have a lot to prove...

that all being said, here's to hoping that this young man can make the most of his second chance...we all make mistakes in life, and hopefully he learned from it, and gets back to the top.

THAT all being said, what a friggin lineup at PSU for the next 3 years....good grief..."

Very true, assuming those player see it that way. Their greed-inflicted problem is they are going to get five less chances to prove anything next season.

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next