Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2

Discussion Topic: Another PSU addition
Gary Sommers added to this discussion on January 2, 2011

Quote from Ben Golden's post:

"

Quote from Grant Varnum's post:

"not sure why everyone is surprised by the promises...I mean, who out of these guys really has a chance at being drafted before the 5th or 6th round?!?! none of them are looking at big money yet...they still have a lot to prove..."

I think Posey could go earlier than that, but you're right. It's not in their best interest to leave now."

It wasn't in their best interest to sell trinkets for tats. That didn't stop them.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Quote from Rex Holman's post:

"Ethan-
I don't think so. Pryor and Posey are big time game influencers, especially with one more year under their belt.
Herbstreit saying "addition by subtraction" was meant to say that their actions would be divisive to the team. I don't agree.
The stuff they sold does not hold symbolic value to them. I actually applaud them for not getting caught up in the hype of material possessions.
They broke rules set forth by the NCAA. The NCAA rules are at best a means to maintain control and grow their organization.
These guys make millions for the NCAA, Universitiy and local businesses. Deep down, I don't think they really want to say bye to Pryor.
OSU is a title threat again next year with Terrelle in charge.
When asked what he thought about Herbstreit's comments. Pryor replied with what is his record against Michigan. (0-4-1). Nice comeback!"

Rex, 'material possesions' are cars, clothes, houses, boats, bling. Those were symbols of team accomplishments that obviously don't mean much to the Look at Me Generation. You could not be more wrong with that statement.

Pryor does not make them a title threat. Well, maybe in a down Big Ten, but certainly not at the national level. He has not shown that ability, despite all the hype.

There is no doubt that NCAA rules often leave a lot to be desired, so at times do the laws of the land, but that is not an excuse to violate them.

And the local community couldn't care less if this bunch leaves. They will be replaced by others. Kern left. Hicks left. Gradishar left. Griffin left. Schlicter (sp) left. Heck, Hayes left. It is the nature of college sports. They all leave, and all get replaced. The beat will go on just fine without them. It always does.

Last edited by Gary Sommers on January 2, 2011; edited 2 times in total

[quote="Gary Sommers"]

Quote from Ben Golden's post:

"

"not sure why everyone is surprised by the promises...I mean, who out of these guys really has a chance at being drafted before the 5th or 6th round?!?! none of them are looking at big money yet...they still have a lot to prove..."

I think Posey could go earlier than that, but you're right. It's not in their best interest to leave now."

It wasn't in their best interest to sell memorabilia for tats. That didn't stop them.[/

Leo Zimmer added to this discussion on January 2, 2011

getting back to wrestling...

I went back and re-read the threads on this very forum that were posted by Dave Rella's family when he transferred. PSU was quick to issue a press release stating that Rella had been "dismissed" from the program. That was disputed by Dave's family, and frankly I choose to believe their side of the story.

Fast forward to today... Penn State is welcoming, with open arms, a wrestler from their coaches former team that has well documented disciplinary issues, and are so eager to get him on the team that they post a pic of him in his former teams warm ups on their website.

This is neither better or worse than the way that the NCAA and tOSU has handled the football teams violations. Both situations have the stench of dishonesty.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on January 3, 2011

When Rella left, there was a different coach in charge. Obviously different coaches run things differently. Both have accepted guys with problems in their past and both have dismissed athletes as well. Context to those situations are very important and without having complete inside knowledge of each of them, only speculations/assumptions drive our "judgements".

Rex Holman added to this discussion on January 3, 2011

Winning and protecting/improving the franchise always play a key role in the decisionmaking process of any sports organization.

Gary-
I would rescind my first argument and change to reflect their intentions after having given it some more thought. It does not mean I agree with your perspective of the items. It just means that the athletes are driven by needs specific to them.

Gary Sommers added to this discussion on January 3, 2011

Quote from Rex Holman's post:

"Winning and protecting/improving the franchise always play a key role in the decisionmaking process of any sports organization.

Gary-
I would rescind my first argument and change to reflect their intentions after having given it some more thought. It does not mean I agree with your perspective of the items. It just means that the athletes are driven by needs specific to them."

Understood Rex, but that is unfortunate considering they are playing a team sport.

Grant Varnum added to this discussion on January 3, 2011

just a little more on the thoughts regarding OSU...

1) my point was that none of these guys have the talent alone to be drafted any higher than 5th/6th in this draft (except, as noted, maybe Posey)

2) with the recent black eye in terms of "questionable character" of each of them, that only further negatively impacts their potential draft position.

3) Now that they have all "committed" to playing for OSU next year, it would only be another major black eye if any of them went back on that "commitment", for obvious reasons, yet again negatively impacting their potential draft position...again...and you only have two eyes, last time i checked.

and yes, back to wrestling - perhaps PSU rushed the news a bit, but i guess i cant blame them. it is pretty rare that an All-American would get dismissed/released/transfer to another major D1 school, and receive immediate eligibility in that transfer, so it is pretty big news.

PSU's lineup (on paper) looks unreal for the next several years - Taylor, Alton, Alton, Kemerer, Ruth, Long, Wright - all FR/SO, and all top 4 in the country in their weight classes coming out of high school...yikes...and again, hopefully for the sake of a young man's future, here's to hoping that Andrew will find what he is looking for, and get back on the "right track" at PSU, regardless of what photo might be on the website...

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on January 3, 2011

"PSU's lineup (on paper) looks unreal for the next several years - Taylor, Alton, Alton, Kemerer, Ruth, Long, Wright - all FR/SO, and all top 4 in the country in their weight classes coming out of high school...yikes..."

...And then add in Nico Megaludis, the consensus #1 125-pounder and Morgan McIntosh, the consensus #1 at 189.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on January 3, 2011

The good thing is, wrestling matches are not wrestled on paper... They are wrestled on G-MAX approved, ASTM F355 compliant, foam core, protective and decorative wrapped mats, provided in 35'x35', 38'x38' or 40'x'40' dimensions (check with YOUR local Resilite provider to see which mat works BEST for your team).

Gary Sommers added to this discussion on January 3, 2011

Could someone please clarify? If I want to transfer because my coach break his contract and leaves I have to sit out a year. But if I get kicked out because of my own indiscretions I can transfer and be immediately eligible.

Is this what I am to understand? Am I missing something?

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on January 3, 2011

Yes, you're missing something.

Grant Varnum added to this discussion on January 3, 2011

i am not a transfer expert...but i believe it is up the school to decide on eligibility? VTech did not give the permission for immediate eligibility for those guys, but certainly COULD have...

not sure if this is the same kind of scenario, but i am assuming ISU gave the okay.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2