Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: College Wrestling Week 10 Report: Nat'l Duals, Va. Duals, Holiday Recap
Ben Golden added to this discussion on January 2, 2011

It's been a while. Christmas and New Year's Day have come and passed. Parties have been held, gifts have been exchanged, beverages have been consumed, and roast beast has been carved. Somewhat lost in all the merriment has been the most pressing issue of any winter season: wrestling. Most schools had a good chunk of time off, but this last weekend was perhaps the most important weekend of the college regular season. Two of the three toughest tournaments took place December 29th and 30th: The Southern Scuffle and the Midlands Championships.

Most Ohio action took place at the Scuffle in Greensboro, North Carolina. Kent State was there, the Bobcats were there, and a lot of out-of-state Ohioans were there.

More...

http://www.buckeyewrestling.com/index.php?q=node/38905

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Discussion Topic: College Wrestling Week 10 Report: Nat'l Duals, Va. Duals, Holiday Recap
Patrick Campbell added to this discussion on January 2, 2011

Nice recap.

It was just sick what David Tayor did to Paul Young. I don't get wound up too tight when watching any kid wrestle so far above the rest in HS, but when a RS freshman is that dominant over the 9th ranked kid in the nation...well, that's impressive. David continues to improve and simply assert his will over every opponent. His takedowns, that quick ankle pick, the tilts...I know he is just a kid, but I am truly in awe of his talent. It will continue to be fun to watch his progress over the years. And BTW Ben, I think Bubba will have a serious problem whenever they do get their rematch.

At this moment, the dream match in my mind...Taylor vs. Metcalf. As close as it gets to perfect technique vs. ice cold & mean. That's based on my assuming Metcalf will continue to compete at the world team level. We will see what the future brings.

Ben Golden added to this discussion on January 2, 2011

As cool as it might be, I doubt we ever see Taylor vs. Metcalf. Metcalf will be at 66kg, Taylor looks like he will grow into 74 kg (163 pounds) very nicely.

As for Bubba/Taylor, I agree that Bubba will be in trouble. Even if he shows up and does manage to score early from neutral, Taylor will score on him on the mat. Also, Bubba's small gas tank will be a problem against Taylor. I just try not to be overly predictive in these things.

Anyway, the brackets just came for Va. Duals, and I doubt this match happens:

http://www.virginiaduals.org/2011_NationalCollege.pdf

Ben Golden added to this discussion on January 4, 2011

Update: National Duals brackets are now up.

http://www.nwcaonline.com/NWCAWebSite/Libraries/Downloads/division1_2.sflb.ashx

Ohio State wrestles #1 Cornell in the first round (that's a bit of a shot to the pride). They will probably face UNI in the consolation round, and that's a winnable dual.

Most interesting here is that Sponseller will have Justin Kerber, a good opponent, in his first match back at 65. Should be a good barometer of how his strength and size have improved.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on January 4, 2011

Is Dong back in the line-up for Virginia Tech?

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on January 4, 2011

I do believe he is, Michael. I seem to recall a thread mentioning that...

...after 26 seconds of searching, I found this: http://ohiowrestling.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2710

► Add to the Discussion