Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Discussion Topic: OSU - Iowa
Ethan Moore added to this discussion on January 22, 2011

I agree with Coach Ryan, two quick stall calls on Magrum.

Why does the ref warn both coaches for asking questions? Are coaches no longer permitted to hace discussions with refs?

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Patrick Campbell added to this discussion on January 22, 2011

Quote from Ethan Moore's post:

"I agree with Coach Ryan, two quick stall calls on Magrum.

Why does the ref warn both coaches for asking questions? Are coaches no longer permitted to hace discussions with refs?"

And neither coach was raising his voice. Although it was kind of funny when Coach Ryan reminded the ref he was blowing calls at PSU as well.

Grant Varnum added to this discussion on January 22, 2011

long story short, IMO, that was pretty difficult to watch...

Rex Holman added to this discussion on January 22, 2011

I had to dvr it and it cut off the third period of Heflin's match.

It pretty much went to script.

Carver-Hawkeye is a tough place to compete and the word hostile could be used for the environment.

Some thoughts.

Colt winning was nice. I would still like to see him wrestle collar wrist tie with head in neutral position as opposed to elbow wrist tie with head committed on elbow side. He almost scored with an inside drag early in the match as his head was in neutral position and not committed on the offside. A lot of times his head is opposite the wrist as he will dig underhooks on that side. That is great but it limits his offense to the underhook side as dragging the far side with head out of position takes too long to develop.

Paddock needs an overtie to a hip lift. Watch the Jordan Oliver v Daniel Dennis match at Carver-Hawkeye. It was a last second td that won it for Oliver with this technique. Paddock repeatedly gets to the overtie position and has difficulty penetrating underneath guys because of his heigth.

Colt and Heflin are the Bucks best bet to AA this year. Both can.

I liked Gable's comments, he is getting more impartial with age and taking on the role of ambassador. I like the way he described the job of getting the athlete to compete at a level they are capable of but have not been taught to do so.

Jason L. Jackson added to this discussion on January 22, 2011

My problem is that no one seems to have improved under Ryan. Sponseller hasn't rectified his weaknesses, and Magrum and Nemec may be getting worse.

The Bucks might be the worst team in the country from the bottom position, and that is about effort. In the first match I backed up the recording to show my wife the difference between Gambrall and Magrum. Gambrall is immediately moving, gets to his feet and gets the escape. Magrum fails to move off the whistle while on bottom, and gets ridden out.

I want to see Ryan explode like Brands would on one of these guys. Nemec did the same thing from the bottom position, nothing.

Very disheartened by what I saw tonight. While I understand Ryan has recruited talent into the room next year, for the first time I am questioning if he will be able to do anything with it.

The dual was started at 184, which smelled a little fishy to me. If Iowa wanted a shut out that was the strategic way to go about it.

OSUs best hopes for wins were Colt and Heflin. They wrestled at the end of the dual and were forced to watch a losing effort. I almost did not bring it up but it seemed like an Iowa shenanigan to me. Much like the dressing room being painted pink.

This Iowa team is very interesting to me as no one is rated high but for McDonough. If he gets these guys to perform at the Big Tens and NCAAs and finishes top 3, that would be some outstanding coaching.

Well, the good was Colt. He looked solid, and he was the only OSU wrestler to win the 3rd period. Great to see him finish shots, and don't overlook the 30 second ride out at the end of regulation to force OT.

Also Capone, who as Luke said 'wrestled above his head.' It seems the transition to 97 didn't hurt him too much.

The cardio did look lacking, plain and simple. Not sure how to explain that, but Iowa does push the pace, as we all know.

OSU fans have to write this year off from a team perspective and focus on the kids on the team who can make an impact at nationals.

Coach Ryan is fielding a team right now that no one would have envisioned. They are fighting an uphill battle every match... And just think, at least you're not an MSU fan!

Capone does a nice job. Lacking some horse power and very close to becoming very good on top. He just needs a couple more wrinkles in his playbook and he can start frustrating the bejeezus out of some 197 lbers

Fred Feeney added to this discussion on January 22, 2011

Ethan....by rule, and the NCAA has said that if a coach takes the ref to the table, except for timing or clarification of score...either the referee must change his call or it is a misconduct call.

Aha - thanks for clarification.

Ben Golden added to this discussion on January 22, 2011

Just watched this on DVR...

General thoughts:
-Buckeyes look absolutely terrible on bottom up and down the lineup. No explosions off the whistle. This is a huge concern.
-Generally no aggression today (except Sponseller). My guess is that the legitimate shot count for the whole Buckeye squad was about 10. That is pathetic.
-Early on I was taking little positives from each match. After the first five matches, that became pretty hard to do. There wasn't necessarily a lack of effort; I felt like most of them weren't conceding positions, but they went 1/4 in close matches and generally lacked a sense of urgency.
-Heflin looks very good when he shoots. Unfortunately, it's tough for the world to see this because he shoots like once a match. Picking your shots is one thing, but you can't just expect opportunities to present themselves very often. He's clearly got to focus on getting more attempts.
-Nice job by Iowa showing up to wrestle and doing the things the needed to do to win nearly every match.

Anthony Windsor II added to this discussion on January 23, 2011

Like I've said before, I think the problem is in the recruiting. They can't seem to recruit anyone that has a strong drive to get better at the next level. Also, I have no doubt in Ryan's coaching abilities, but I have to wonder if he's pushing the kids in the room?

I think that Sponseller's victory was a much needed win for him. He's had a rough season so far; hopefully he'll be able to turn it around from here.

Patrick Campbell added to this discussion on January 23, 2011

Quote from Anthony Windsor II's post:

" Also, I have no doubt in Ryan's coaching abilities, but I have to wonder if he's pushing the kids in the room?"

I'm pretty sure I would not walk up to Tom and say that to his face.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on January 23, 2011

I was in the room last thursday. Not only is he pushing them, they are pushing themselves.

I didn't talk to any of them on a personal level, but watching them, it appears that no one is happy about the current situation.

I watched Nick Heflin stay after for 20mins or so doing one thing: getting in the best position to finish a double. He and Pucillo probably did 20 or 30 doubles a piece to get it right.

That doesn't sound like a kid that is okay with not "getting" the next level.

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next