Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Discussion Topic: Buckeye wrestling this upcoming weekend (February 4-5)
Mark Niemann added to this discussion on February 3, 2011

There is a nice write-up on Jared Kusar in today's Dispatch. It is in the weekender portion of the paper.

Also, Friday night at Illinois, Saturday night at home vs. Minnesota. (7pm start time, and on the BTN for Minnesota.) This is one of only two home matches left.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Doug Brandt added to this discussion on February 3, 2011

Here's the Dispatch link:

http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/weekender/stories/2011/02/03/college-wrestler-has-hold-on-good-work-habits.html

Jason L. Jackson added to this discussion on February 3, 2011

The Bucks can win the dual against the Illini, but have to wrestle hard and win some toss ups.

125: Bo Touris v. Logan Arlis - This is a winnable match for Ohio State. If Touris wrestles for 7 minutes like he did the last minute against Boyle, he can get a victory. Complete toss up.

133: Ian Paddock v. BJ Futtrell - Futtrell handled Paddock the first time they wrestled, and Paddock seems to have gotten worse. The key here is to keep it to a decision.

141: Randy Languis v. Jimmy Kennedy/Daryl Thomas - If Kennedy wrestles then this is 4-6 for the Illini. If its Thomas, I give them 3. Those points could be the difference in the dual.

149: Mike Fee v. Eric Terrazas - This should be at least 4 for Illinois. No fall is key here.

157: Jared Kusar v. Jackson Morse - Morse was a superstar in high school who has struggled a bit this year. I am still giving a decision to Morse, but a win for Kusar is not out of the question.

165: Colt Sponseller v. Conrad Polz - A key match if OSU wants to win the dual, Colt needs to win. I think he will, no bonus.

174: Nick Heflin v. Jordan Blanton/Ben Friedl - If Friedl wrestles, Heflin gets the win. If it is Blanton, Illinois gets a decision.

184: C.J. Magrum v. Tony Dallago - Another close one, and another that OSU has to have. I hope the win over Collins helps Magrum turn the corner. I give him 3 here.

197: Peter Capone v. Joe Barczak - Capone is a scrambler who still lacks the size and strength to capitalize on good position. Another toss up. Both had 1 point wins over MSU's Dickenson. Too close to call.

285: Zack Stolarsky v. Pat Walker - Stolarsky can keep it close, just not quite good enough to win. I give Walker the edge.

Overall: I favor Illinois at 133, 141, 149 and 285, with bonus likely at 141 (with Kennedy) and 149. I favor Ohio State at 165. 125, 157, 174, 184 and 197 are all toss ups. Ohio State would have to get them all to win, and overcome the bonus from Illinois. I give that a 1 in 10 chance of happening.

I see Illinois winning this one 19-12.

GO BUCKS!!!!!

Jack Muni added to this discussion on February 3, 2011

I think Blanton beat Nick 6-4 in the beginning of the season. If he's still hurting from the injury that has kept him out of the lineup, I wouldn't be surprised if Heflin beats him. We all saw what happened to Q. Wright went you wrestle injured. But the difference is Penn State had to put Wright out there to win the meet. That probably won't be an issue with Ill.

Jason L. Jackson added to this discussion on February 4, 2011

Here is the link to the live stats - http://www.nwcaonline.com/nwcaonline/results/ColScorebook/CompetitionResult.aspx?SchoolYear=2011&ID=751093&ID2=30063&ResultID=-1&Mode=Live

Looking at the lineups, Ohio State should win 165 and 174. They could win 125, 133, 184 and 197. They have no shot at 141 (Kennedy is listed as the starter) and 149, and little shot at 157 (Nemec is listed as the starter) and 285.

If Thomas (141 for Illinois) and Kusar wrestle, that brings those weights to toss ups, and the match is much more winnable.

Giving Illinois likely bonus at 141 and 149, Ohio State would have to sweep the toss ups to have a shot. Rooting for it, not counting on it. GO BUCKS!!!!!!!

Ben Golden added to this discussion on February 4, 2011

Heflin wins 1-0.

First period ends scoreless at 184.

Magrum deep on a single late in the second, but Dallago has a good sprawl. Clock runs out. 1-0 Magrum.

Dallago escapes quickly. Magrum with an impassioned double-cut-single midway through the third. CLOSE to finishing. Dallago is just locked through the crotch. Magrum works up and breaks his grip, SCORE! Holds on to the leg as they go out of bounds. Magrum rides him out, wins 3-1.

I got an unexpected phone call so I missed 197, 285 and 125.

Just got back and Paddock is down 2-0 to Futrell in the first period. Escapes but gets taken down to his back again and gives up two back points. Period ends.

Futrell riding tough. Paddock gets up, but Futrell gets right in on a high crotch for another takedown. Release Paddock pretty frustrated, understandably. Futrell with a low single, works up, comes around for 2. 10-3 and Futrell has the RT point.

Third period, Futrell takes neutral. Paddock with a shot from a mile away, didn't actually touch Futrell's leg. Futrell with a reshot, takedown. Turks Paddock to his back and looked like back points to me, but the ref didn't think so. Futrell winded up turning him a few seconds later to make it 15-3. Futrell kicks him and wants to go for the tech. Paddock goes for a desperation throw and gets it! It was a head and arm to Futrell's back, but not enough time for back points or a pin. 16-6 final.

Last edited by Ben Golden on February 4, 2011; edited 2 times in total

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on February 4, 2011

Quote from Ben Golden's post:

"I got an unexpected phone call so I missed 197, 285 and 125.

Just got back and Paddock is down 2-0 to Futrell in the first period."

Paddock is about to get teched

Heflin needs to be forced to be aggressive.

Nice win for Magrum.

Thought Capone would fare better.

Stolarsky gives 100% every time.

Hopefully the last minute against Boyle was a turning point for Touris.

Paddock is either injured, broken or cutting too much. Either way, it may be time to give him a break tomorrow. Not like he is a benefit to the team right now anyway.

Alex Creech added to this discussion on February 4, 2011

Does anyone else have problems with nwca tracker? It constantly times out, or doesn't refresh. The Paddock match is still in progress.........very frustrating.

Same problem here.

Kennedy vs. Languis.

No scoring for the first couple minutes but then Kennedy shoots in on a head-inside single from distance and gets the points. Escape Languis. Languis with a poor shot, Kennedy snaps him down and spins around for the takedown. 4-1, period ends.

Languis down to start the second. Kennedy immediately throws both boots in and rides tough. Since he wasn't close any back points, he wisely kicked Languis and immediately took him down again. Kicks him again. Another takedown with 20 seconds to go in the 2nd period. 8-3.

3rd Period, start neutral. Thats kind of surprising considering Kennedy is going for valuable bonus points. Jimmy immediately in on a shot and after a 15 second scramble gets the takedown. Release. Languis has no answer for this single leg. Stalling warning on OSU. Languis has now forced stalemates on two consecutive shots, so maybe he has found the answer. Looks like another stalemate as the period ends but the ref awards points JUST as the whistle sounds to end the match. Major decision.

Mike Fee vs. Eric Terrazas.

T2 Terrazas. E1 Fee. Terrazas with a wish-wash shot on the edge that does nothing but drive Fee out of bounds. Terrazas with a sweep single. Tried to finish by grabbing Fee's leg from behind between his own legs, kind of strange and ultimately unsuccessful. Same takedown attempt, this time he finishes simply by cutting the corner. Period ends 4-1.

Fee starts second period on bottom. Terrazas riding with a claw. Fee to his feet, Illinois gets an ankle and drives him out of bounds. RT is now over a minute. Another claw ride, switches to a chicken wing and tries to knee in for the tilt. Not having any success turning Fee, so he kicks him. From neutral, the two wrestlers exchange a couple half shots. Terrazas single leg, scramble, takedown illinois. Period ends 6-2.

Fee starts on top, trying for a 3/4 nelson, out of bounds. Fee chicken wing, riding pretty tough. Terrazas sits out for an escape with 60 seconds of riding time in the bank. Ouch. 7-2 (effectively 8-2). Fee doing a good job fending off some attacks and still not looking like he's totally stalling. Match ends 8-2.

Nemec gets the start vs. true freshman Jackson Morse.

EDIT: they say it's Nemec but it's Kusar.

Morse with an inside trip for a takedown. Kusar escapes on the edge. A slideby for T2. Has a two-on-one, trying for a tilt but Kusar gets hip separation and an escape. 4-2. Another slick takedown for Morse. Kusar isn't attacking, not really looking like himself. Period ends 6-2.

Kusar starts second period down. Morse foils an early escape and is now riding cross body. Now spiral ride out of bounds. Kusar keeps trying sit outs for escapes but isn't having any success at all. Finally escapes with 30 seconds left in the period. Kusar tries to go upperbody but ends up getting body locked to his back for four points total. Period ends 10-3 and Morse has riding time secured.

Morse single cut double for takedown. Looking at his coach for advice, kicks Kusar. 13-4. Takedown Morse, throws in a leg, forearm grinding Kusar's head into the mat. Kicks him. 15-5. Match is over, 16-5 final.

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next