Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2

Discussion Topic: Best wrestler in Ohio pound-for-pound?
Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on November 26, 2007

First off, these are all outstanding wrestlers and while discussing this, I want to be clear that we're talking about levels of greatness. I don't want anyone to think I'm dogging two and three and 4X champs. With that said...

I'm always suprised at how little love Collin Palmer gets. He's never lost (or even been close) to an Ohio wrestler. I think he's at 78-2 over the last two seasons, with both losses coming at Ironman. No one can say his schedule isn't up to par.

I don't know if he's the best pound-for-pound in Ohio, but I do think that he's the best on his team and probably the best in DI.

Roddy's loss to Magrum last year should count for something and while his finals match with Kilgore was exciting and he certainly earned that title, I'm not sure the best wrestler won.

Jameson is a beast. But he's a senior with a lone undefeated season (42-0 as a sophomore) who doesn't wrestle a national schedule. He has one Distict title and a loss to freshman last year (albeit an excellent one in Habat). He gets a lot of props for his style, and his recent open tourny wins, but no mention about open tourney losses. What happens if Palmer beats Johnston at Ironman this year at 135? Does that put him over Jameson?

Taylor's resume is imressive, and his National achievements probably put him over the top. But it's hard to discount his loss to an undersized freshman who didn't win a state title last year (similar to Jameson's loss to Habat).

How many freshman could beat Collin Palmer last year?

After his freshman year and that brutal win over Fields in the finals, many thought Palmer may be the best in the state as a freshman. Then last year he had the Ironman loss to Johnston and didn't pin everyone at State and people have kind of lost perspective on how good this kid really is.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Dom Mancini added to this discussion on November 26, 2007

I think Jameson does get the nod because of his style - this sport needs kids like Jameson who are not afraid to take chances, not afraid to lose - and like to excite the crowd - Palmer is a beast but for the most part you can expect what he is going to do - Jameson - you never know what he is going to do - his coaches don't even know what he's going to do - I have been in this sport since I started wrestling in 1978 - and I have never seen a wrestler light up a crowd like Jameson does!! He invents while he wrestles and there is something to be said for that.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on November 28, 2007

I love this conversation. I agree with Mike R that it's unclear as to whether or not the best wrestler won the 171 finals match in D1.

I don't know whether or not Coach Mancini is correct about Jameson's style making him the best folkstyler. But I've said it before--he has the stuff to be an NCAA champ. If you love Wade Schalles and Ben Askren, you have to love Jameson. He's got a similar mentality.

Taylor is more technically sound. He and Palmer are similar in that they're both methodical, predictable and incredibly efficient. I also think Ryan Cubberly belongs in the conversation. He does a very good imitation of Dustin Schlatter; great shrug, tough tilt on top, excellent position at all times.

If I had to say who's best--I'd pick Taylor. But Jameson is the guy I'd drive to watch. And he may prove to be the most successful on the next level.

Luke Moore added to this discussion on November 28, 2007

This is a great conversation and many great points have been made. I think Palmer is definitely getting overlooked. he dominates people which is what I love to watch over the funk of Jameson. I think another name that could be thrown into this list is Jedd Moore. he does not have the resume of others but is an absolute beast, and had a very impressive pin of Cubberly last year. Just a thought.

Keith Arnett added to this discussion on November 28, 2007

no doubt taylor is the best! ask the penn state kid he TF to make the jr worlds team where he could have very well won 2 matches,the second was a very close match all 3 periods! not including his other achievements nationaly.Stieber a close second, his match with taylor he just came out of football and looked like it to me. closer match if not Stieber win if later in the season i think.also i believe jamie clark should be up here, the only comp. he had was taylor which he split with, robinson close but came out on top and white who i believe (not sure here) he also split with.and Stieber who he lost to. all nationaly ranked in the top ten.as an undersized freshmen to all of these! WOW!!!! this also comes from watching him and the other ohio studs (Stieber's,sako,tessari,taylor,robinson) who were all at some point in my sons brackets over the last 11 yrs,
and the only kids to beat these kids are each other and that incudes most if not all the country.so even pound for pound him being the smallest i see jamie being a close 3rd behind taylor,logan,i just don't see or don't know of anyone elses dominance over that kind if time period nationaly

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2