Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next

Discussion Topic: Brent Metcalf pinned at Eds
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on November 24, 2007

Received a phone call a few hours earlier from a friend in attendance at the Iowa Duals at St Eds. Brent Metcalf was pinned by Darrion Caldwell from NC State.

Some of you may remember Caldwell as the true frosh that battled Ryan Lang in NCAA quarters last season in an epic battle. Caldwell was then beaten by J Jaggers in the cons.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on November 24, 2007

I read it was a standing spladle. This seems to me like a 1 time out of 100 result, although Caldwell is legit.

As much of a suprise to me would be Perry getting dominated by Brown from ODU.

Can anyone confirm this result? Thanks.

Mary Thoburn added to this discussion on November 25, 2007

Perry was losing big before the DQ. Perry was under Brown on the mat, but had the head and was pulling it hard down and under. The ODU coaches were yelling for the potentially dangerous, and when the ref finally called it, they were all halfway on the mat, which also brought Brands out of his seat. Those ODU coaches are intense. Next thing you know, the refs DQ'ed Perry. Since it happened during blood time, I assume Perry must have said something to the ref to get the DQ.

I was surprised there weren't more people in attendance. Many high schools were scrimmaging yesterday, maybe that was a reason.

Brad Proudfoot added to this discussion on November 25, 2007

149 at Nationals is going to be a barn-burner. There are going to be some very exciting matchups up and down that bracket.

Dan Cosimi added to this discussion on November 26, 2007

Who would have thought Metcalf would lose, let alone lose here?

"Oh, the parity of college sports..."

Ken Fields added to this discussion on November 28, 2007

Caldwell interview, I wish one of the Ohio site's admins could of done this, they do one heck of job. <thumbsup> This site www.d1collegewrestling.net is very good though, it has some great stuff!

http://www.d1collegewrestling.net/Special_DCaldwell.html

I have seen Caldwell wrestle several times now, he reminds me of Mr. Tony Funk, you never know what is going to happen and there is lots of action!

Last edited by Ken Fields on November 30, 2007; edited 1 time in total

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on November 29, 2007

Ken: After watching video of Caldwell, I think he is going to be a major factor at 149 lbs this season. He went 152 in high school; his first year at college he was 141. At 149, he looks healthy and, as you mentioned, he has incredible stuff.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on November 29, 2007

Schlatter/Caldwell matchup interests me. Caldwell seems to lose to guys with funky styles like Lang & Jaggers. Yet he beats Metcalf who is more of a solid technique type of wrestler, like Dustin S. <cool> Hmmmm... Could be a very interesting match.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on November 29, 2007

Jack:
Caldwell was a true frosh last season and was down 11 lbs from high school weight class. I think that Dustin will be able to handle him because of his flawless technique and ability to maintain position. But for everyone else at this weight class, he's a nightmare.

Ken Fields added to this discussion on November 29, 2007

The coaches Darrion has to workout with are great, both coaches are a little heaver and are young enough to still go hard with him, They can push him hard.

The coachs at NC State really care about the wrestlers there, they not only put the time in on the mat with but they all so hit the books with their team when needed. They are a tight group! NC State is a great fit Darrion!

It's a nice win at the start of the season, Let's see how Vegas goes his weekend. <crazy>

Joe Caprino added to this discussion on December 5, 2007

Here is the link to the match.

http://www.flocasts.org/flowrestling/flowrestlr/videos.php?a=video_show&show=&vid=3546

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on December 6, 2007

After watching the match, Metcalf looked like he was wrestling at half-speed and got caught. I am certain he underestimated Caldwell.

That was a slick spladle, however, by Caldwell.

Joe--thanks for posting.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on December 6, 2007

I'm no Iowa fan, but it didn't seem like his shoulder blades were touching the mat? Metcalf's shoulder was on Caldwell's chest. But it was a slick move. Is this kid the next Wade Schalles?

Roe Fox added to this discussion on December 6, 2007

It is so rare to see a wreslter with Metcalf's credentials in such an odd predicament. I also thought he was stuck when it first happened but not when it was actually called. Other posts elsewhere have said that it is a lucky move but Caldwell almost appeared to be setting it up.

For all the gruff Schlatter has been taking for his supposed boring style I would be stunned to see him get caught with that move. When Esposito tried something different on him in their second match Schlatter nearly stuck him.

Right now I'm not sure which match I'm more interested in seeing: Schlatter and Metcalf or Schlatter and Caldwell.

Ken Fields added to this discussion on December 6, 2007

Darrion goes to this move several times in Vegas sometimes he hits it but it is definitely a move he uses. In one match he is called for stalling trying to use it, yes stalling!

Flow has, I think, three of his Vegas match up for our viewing. In one of them you can see some of the FUNK many are talking about. There is one thing for sure in all the match I have watched Caldwell goes hard.

Check out the finals match and see if you can come up with something common in the finals and Metcalf match.

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next