Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Ohio State Fair Wrestling Tournament - July 30-31, 2011
Larry Smith added to this discussion on May 1, 2011

Folkstyle Saturday, July 30, Freestyle Sunday, July 31. For information about this tournament go to http://cardingtonwrestling.com/StateFairTourn2011.html.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Larry Smith added to this discussion on May 6, 2011

Take a look at the stuff on the web page. You can register in advance either on-line or mail-in and save some money, or register the day of the tournament at the Holiday Inn. Wrestlers who are pre-registered may be able to weigh in at a satellite weigh-in site. If you want to hold one of the weigh-ins at your club or school, please contact tournament director Brian Church.

Larry Smith added to this discussion on June 22, 2011

Don Jones has volunteered to run a weigh-in for this tournament from 6 to 8 PM Thursday, July 28 at Archbishop Moeller High School in Cincinnati. Check the web site (http://www.cardingtonwrestling.com/StateFairTourn2011.html) for more info. There may be other satellite weigh-ins in other parts of the state (or in other states or provinces), so stay tuned for details, or volunteer your own school or club for a weigh-in.

We shall get the advance entries posted as soon as possible after they come in, but because I have a day job and some obligations some weekday evenings, there may occasionally be a day or two delay in getting them on the web site.

Don't forget, in addition to the folkstyle tournament on Saturday (July 30), there is also a freestyle tournament on Sunday. If you're coming a long way, consider staying overnight to check out the Ohio State Fair (best in the country!) and wrestle on Sunday. If you're unfamiliar with freestyle wrestling, there will be a rules clinic before wrestling starts - the skills are the same as for folkstyle, and you may find you like it! If you register for both tournaments you get a price break.

Larry Smith added to this discussion on June 24, 2011

Saturday, July 31 is also AEP Ohio Day at the Ohio State Fair. AEP Ohio customers present a bill at a booth outside entrance gates to receive $5 admission vouchers for everyone in their party before 5 pm. This will help reduce the cost of admission to the fair for family members and friends of wrestlers entered in the fair. Regular admission to the fair is $10 for adults (ages 13-59), $8 for youth (ages 5-12) and seniors (ages 60+), and free for children under 5.

Larry Smith added to this discussion on July 7, 2011

There are an increasing number of women's college teams, who wrestle freestyle. A young lady who has perhaps taken some lumps from some of the more mature young men may find that she is scholarship material at the collegiate level. If we get enough girls they can have their own brackets separate from the boys. I know of a few who have said they are going to come, but I have not seen their registrations yet.

We are negotiating for a satellite weigh-in in Indiana and are expecting a good turnout from the Hoosier state.

The advance registrations are starting to pick up. Check the web site daily to see who has registered. Don't be fooled, however - most of the entrants will wait until the night before or the day of the tournament, even though they could save money by registering early.

I would like to see more Ohio kids wrestle freestyle. College coaches are more interested in whether you went to Fargo then in whether you won your local spring open folkstyle tournament. Also, I do not believe that my son would have won a state championship in high school if he had not had extensive freestyle and greco experience.

Larry Smith added to this discussion on July 17, 2011

The advance registrations are just now starting to pick up. I will do my best to try to keep up with posting them on the web site, but sometimes I might get a day behind because of my day job.

For a while I was trying to post stuff on a half dozen different forums, but I'm not going to have time to do that in the next couple of weeks. If you check the web site you will be able to see what we have so far. Most of the clubs who say they have a bunch of kids coming have not yet turned in their entries. There are several weigh-in locations across the state and one in Indiana; those are all listed on the web site, and there will be at least a couple more put up by Monday evening.

In addition to the web site (http://www.cardingtonwrestling.com/StateFairTourn2011.html), I started a Facebook page for the tournament. Just look for Ohio State Fair Wrestling Tournament.

Dave Ressler added to this discussion on July 17, 2011

Cleveland area Wrestlers:
Lutheran West is a satellite weigh-in site for the tournament. The weigh-ins will be in the wrestling room from 3-5pm on Wednesday July 27th.

Lutheran West High School, 3850 Linden Rd., Rocky River, 44116-4099
Wednesday, July 27, 3-5 PM, contact Danny Sheehan, matwrestler130@yahoo.com, 440-263-6908

► Add to the Discussion