Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2

Discussion Topic: My training day at Scott Overholt”s Gym
Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on May 30, 2011

Question for Scott,

I coach at Mechanicsburg (way south of you) and for a very small school (in an even smaller, one stop light town) we have some good tools at our disposal. Do you have a favorite kettle bell exercise to recomend for me to implement for my team?

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on May 31, 2011

Love it!

What is it that kettle bells offer that can't be offered by ordinary dumbbells?

Scott Overholt added to this discussion on May 31, 2011

Patrick, my website is www.scottoverholt.com and email is scottoverholt@hotmail.com. Feel free to contact me anytime.
Brady- the swing in my opinion is the king of kettlebell exercises as it's the origination of the core kettlebell lifts (swing, clean, high pull, snatch.) along with the jerk - these are the royal court of kettlebell lifts - the swing is king. There are many variations and programing sequences you can add to these- for example- do an alternating swing for 3 minutes- see how your grip and legs feel(when done correctly you won't feel it as much in the low back)- it's a lot like the first period.
Mark - I explained the unique benefits in my last post.
Strength endurance, low impact cardio, rotational strength, explosive level and multi directional changes, Structural integrity(they build up your whole body muscular and cario systems- plus they are great for the joints.) Girevoy(Kettlebell) Sport is an actual sport where the goal is to perform as many judged reps as possible in a 10 minute time frame without setting the bells down-
Thanks for the questions guys- keep em up.

Patrick Campbell added to this discussion on May 31, 2011

Will do Scott!!! Thanks!

Rex Holman added to this discussion on May 31, 2011

Too many irons in the fire today.

I really look forward to discussing the merit of powerlifting, olympic lifting with a bar, and kettlebell training.

Hopefully, I will soon get to explain with clarity why I think so highly of the kettlebell in comparison to these other forms of lifts.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on May 31, 2011

Personally, can't wait!

I look forward to reading about your experiences in high school, college and now this and how you would have trained differently in each phase of your game.

As you type, feel free to shed insight as to what to do with kids with little to know base knowledge concerning lifting, routines, muscles groups and natural strength or athleticism. (We have ... a "few" ... on our team that would fall into that category. Just want to help them get started a better way).

Thanks again to you Rex as well as Scott. This is great stuff.

Now the real question... How much better would the mid-90's Walsh team been with these workouts!?!?!?!

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on May 31, 2011

Quote from Scott Overholt's post:

"Brady- the swing in my opinion is the king of kettlebell exercises as it's the origination of the core kettlebell lifts (swing, clean, high pull, snatch.) along with the jerk - these are the royal court of kettlebell lifts - the swing is king. There are many variations and programing sequences you can add to these- for example- do an alternating swing for 3 minutes- see how your grip and legs feel(when done correctly you won't feel it as much in the low back)- it's a lot like the first period."

That's good to hear as it is the foundational exercise in our workouts as well.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on May 31, 2011

Ok, since you want the questions to keep coming. If you were training a large group (20+) wrestlers at a time, would you be in favor of a circuit system (at each station for a set time and rotate through, or a more traditional same exercise for a set # of reps/time?

Thanks in advance.

Scott Overholt added to this discussion on June 1, 2011

Brady,
this is the most difficult part of training and coaching people especially kids. The quick answer is that it's most efficient doing timed sets. People should be concentrating on proper form and execution and not worried about how many reps they are performing. I worked with Walsh last season and most of the training sessions were timed stations while I did my best to correct and make sure every one was getting the most out of what they were doing. With kids it's hard to get their attention sometimes. 30 seconds is 30 seconds. The difference is what takes place in that time. It goes back to basics,form and technique proper exercise execution. If something's worth doing it's worth doing correctly.
Mark,
We did some weight training in the 90's mostly on our own- body building stuff, lots of running. But noting like kids have today. Those teams were such a collection of individual talent. We were all trying to one up each other- in a friendly competitive way- I think one of the unique qualities of the teams in my years was the leadership from Musser and Johnson. They were extremely serious about practices and would get mad at you if you didn't step up to their level. You don't see that among athletes too often. At least I didn't anyway.

Rex Holman added to this discussion on June 1, 2011

Having the right tool or tools for the job is important in any endeavor. The right tool is one that allows you to do your work efficiently and effectively to the best of your given ability.

Kettlebells have helped me immensely in the six months that I have used them. I report better flexibility, core strength, comprehensive overall strength, improved sense of well being than I did with other formats of lifting over my lifetime. I want to explain why in layman’s term and identify what is different between the major kettlebell exercises and their variants and the other types of lifting.

As Scott mentioned the KB Swing is king-It is an ergonomically correct movement for the spine. It works as a hinge movement of the hips and a partial squat which does not overemphasize compression of the lumbar spine. It utilizes the delts, front/rear, lats and other supporting muscles of the shoulder girdle, torso, abdomen, glutes, and hamstrings. You name it, it hits it. It emphasizes correct posture while swinging the bell in an arc. That arc activates all the core muscles throughout that range of movement. The load is transferred to different areas dependent upon the point in the arc. There are variations to the swing which incorporate even more dynamic movement and strength. I became aware of these from watching Scott’s videos. I picked them up while up in Akron and can say that the KB hop is amazing as is (the name escapes me) split step, maybe? These incorporate explosive movement and footwork. These are amazing exercises.

Last edited by Rex Holman on June 2, 2011; edited 1 time in total

Scott Overholt added to this discussion on June 2, 2011

Rex, I had some time today so I put together a quick video to better illustrate some of the kettlebell specific exercises that are good for training wrestlers. Some of them I showed you, a few we didn't get to. This hopefully gives people a better idea why the bell is such a unique training tool, especially for wrestling.

http://www.youtube.com/user/scottoverholt#p/a/u/0/AqM13S-oH1Y

Rex Holman added to this discussion on June 2, 2011

Excellent video!

Thanks for posting these. Impressive and motivating. Looking forward to the two handed side swing. Probably am going to have watch quite a few more times to pick up some details. I had not seen the pummeling looking exercise before.

Rex Holman added to this discussion on June 4, 2011

I thought a lot of a recent message that a friend a former DI wrestler sent me, I asked whether it was alright to repost and he said yes.

Hi Rex,

Hope things are going well, it has been a long time. I have been reading some of your reviews on kettleball workouts and am very interested. We have some kids, my sons specifically, that are putting in a lot of time doing traditional lifting and seem to be reaching a plateau. Especially when you look at things that are hard to quantify, like explosive finishes to almost any wrestling technique.

We are getting ready to leave on a month long vacation and they need a break, but would like to continue some type of training. We're actually looking at bringing some KBs along with us. I try not to be a dinosaur, but I honestly thought this was a fad. We've been doing some internet research, but if you have any recommendations, I would love to hear it.

I still kick myself about some of the things that I invested way too much time in for marginal results and don't want to lead my wrestlers down that same path.

Thanks,
Todd

My response

Todd- I am a staunch fan of the kettlebell and my only knock against it is that I have only been training with it for 6 months and that is on me. I feel strongly about it. It addresses strength which conventional lifting does not. Let's face it, we did what we were told in college because some strength coaches told us to do so and they supposedly knew what was best. It was about survival and did not necessarily make us better. The kettlebell makes you better. It is concerned with technique and lifts that load your core and lower extremities while strengthening your upper body in a functional way. To me, a conventional bench press is ill fitted for wrestling. Make some modifications and becomes a wrestling lift. The kettlebell addresses all the conventional lifts sans bench press and makes them functional for a wrestler. It takes the squat, deadlift, clean, snatch, high pull. jerk, overhead press and puts it into a format that is specific to wrestling and functional needs for that matter. Not to mention, their are variations which make it even more wrestling specific. Take some light kettlebells, work on the basics and make it fun for the kids by making it challenging but not easy or overwhelming.
Rex

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on June 4, 2011

If I've said it once, I've said it a brazilIan times... This IS the premiere site for students of the sport. Allow the above video to be admitted as exhibit A.

And I rest my case. Thanks a million, guys.

Rex Holman added to this discussion on November 11, 2012

Scott has another kettlebell workshop this Saturday November 17th 2012 at 1000 am.

I think Scott offers great instruction and insight. To me, he is the real deal as an strength and conditioning professional. I reiterate that he is the strength coach I wish I had during my career as wrestler.

I go up to Akron twice a year because I value his instruction, advice and attitude toward strength.I continue to make strides in overall strength and flexibility as I get older. I attribute a lot of it to the information that he makes available.

http://scottoverholt.com/workshops

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2