Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next

Discussion Topic: Ohio State 37, Rutgers 0
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on November 26, 2007

No. 15 Ohio State, 37 Rutgers, 0
Nov. 26, 2007
St. John Arena
Columbus, Ohio
Match started at 133

125 – Nikko Triggas (OSU:2-2) vs. Ryan Fisklin (RU), 6:18; 37-0
133 – Reece Humphrey (OSU:4-0) vs. Dan Hilt (RU), 8-2; 3-0
141 – No. 3 J Jaggers (OSU:4-0) vs. No. 20 Steve Adamscik (RU), 5-2; 6-0
149 – No. 4 Lance Palmer (OSU:2-1) vs. Spencer Kent (RU), fall 4:42; 12-0
157 – Jason Johnstone (OSU:2-2) vs. Chris Norell (RU), 10-3; 15-0
165 – Robel Campbell (OSU:0-4) vs. Matt Rigogliosa (RU), 6-5; 18-0
174 – Alex Picazo (OSU:2-1) vs. Mike Whalen (RU), 6-1; 21-0
184 – No. 4 Mike Pucillo (OSU:3-0) vs. Keith Dobish (RU), 16-4; 25-0
197 – John Weakley (OSU:1-1) vs. Lamar Brown (RU), 10-4; 28-0
285 – No. 4 J.D. Bergman (OSU:4-0) vs. DJ Russo (RU), 11-5; 31-0

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on November 26, 2007

Pretty dominating victory by a few wrestlers tonight. Overall the team looked aggressive. You gotta love that!!!

Good luck in Vegas, boys.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on November 26, 2007

Congrats to tOSU on a nice performance. Special shout out to young Robel Campbell on a nice victory.

Dan Cosimi added to this discussion on November 26, 2007

Great win for the Buckeyes!

<sign_oh>

Jack Muni added to this discussion on November 27, 2007

Don't know why the attendance was low? Are they back from Thanksgiving break? Anyway, a workmanlike job, well done. I thought Jaggers (the second match tonight) took some of the steam out of Rutgers with a dominant performance against their best wrestler. He had over 4 min. riding time; the 2 pts for Rutgers came with a last second reversal, J dominated the entire match. Campbell had a nice 4 point firemans-to-back move. He was down 2-1 at the time. Good job by the freshman. Weakley looked good against a (6 win-2 loss) opponent who was every bit as big as himself; he had a great 5-point throw during the match (his Greco exrerience was evident). Humphrey had another strong performance, also.

Scott Nicola added to this discussion on November 27, 2007

133 – Reece Humphrey looks good getting a takedown off a low single and using his frontheadlock effectively.
141 –Jaggers rode Adamscik like a Harley and was up 5-0 (with riding point) before giving up a late reversal.
149 – Standard Palmer, quick double for the takedown then to work on top. Worked on top for a while then got another takedown. Once he was able to wear him down and get the power half the fall soon followed.
157 – Johnstone looked very quick on the single although the Rutgers kid was a good scrambler and hard to finish on. Johnstone notches a solid decision.
165 – The true freshman Campbell scrambles out of an early takedown and later uses a barrell roll for a takedown and 2 backs. Campbell in on numerous other shots and seemed to be getting better angles than early in the year. Campbell's conditioning seem improved from early in the season.
174 – Picazo pussed Whalen around early on and got a stall warning on Rutgers. Picazo awarded a stalling point and later gets a takedown and 2 penalty points when the Rutgers kids hits the mat.
184 – Pucillo gets the major leg attacks and his bread and butter the front headlock series. Mike P. turns him late to secure the major and almost get the fall.
197 – Weakley scores on a double early and a lateral drop in the second for 5. Weakley nearly sticks him but the guy gets off his back and does get a late takedown.
285 – Bergman handles Russo in every facet. Is Russo their regular heavyweight or is he a 197 moving up b/c Bergman looked like the much bigger man. J.D. Bergman is going to be tough for anyone to beat at hvyweight.
125 – Nikko Triggas pins Fisklin in an arm bar figure four combination after working on the armbar for the better part of 2 periods.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on November 27, 2007

Low attendance could be attributed to a loss at UTC and the fact they were wrestling Rutgers. Rutgers might be pretty good in a few years with a new coach and more recruits such as Scott Winston. Right now, they're one of less impressive squads in D1. It's nice to see the young OSU wrestlers get wins.

Does anyone know the status of Enright? How's Sponseller coming along? And is Johnstone the permanent 157 or is a battle with Nemec still forthcoming?

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on November 27, 2007

Hank: I talked to Enright last night concerning a couple of your questions (great minds think alike...but then again, so do delusional ones! <smile> )

1. When I asked him what his status was, he said everything is fine other than getting a time to wrestle off. That seems to be the biggest hurdle right now. If you can find a 10-12 day layoff, there's when things will most likely go down.

2. Concerning C. Sponseller...he said most likely the end of Dec. I'm not real sure off-hand what their schedule looks like, but anytime I can see him wrestle...I'll take it!

Dan Ransick added to this discussion on November 27, 2007

My understanding right now is that Nemec is redshirting this year and Johnstone looks like the starter this year.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on November 27, 2007

Wouldn't be surprised if Sponseller ended up redshirting as well. What real point is there in throwing him out in January? Campbell has already lost his redshirt. Sponseller makes you a little tougher for Big Ten Duals but I'm not sure how important that is. Ultimately, that's a decision the coaches have to make. Without giving it a lot of thought, I'd say you're better off keeping Nemec and Spons off the mats.

Dan Ransick added to this discussion on November 27, 2007

If you don't have to wrestle Sponseller like Hank said don't. Campbell has lost his redshirt year, Sponseller hasn't. If you can have a healthy Nemec and Sponseller next year in the lineup both as freshman you will be in such a great situation for years to come.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on November 27, 2007

Yaeh! Wait til next year!!!

Jack Muni added to this discussion on November 27, 2007

My 2 cents: Redshirt Nemec for sure. Johnstone is doing a good job & is still improving. I saw Nemec at Ashland, he looked great in his matches. Let him finish this year as a redshirt. Hope to see him in the Penn St., Cleveland St. & Kent State Opens. Johnstone faces #1 Henning (Wisc.) in Dec. dual, that will show us where he stands amongst the 157 class. With Sponseller I fear the time lost already may be too much to overcome. But it would be nice to see him wrestle. Dec. 15 is the CSU Open, perhaps he'll be ready for that one.

Scott Nicola added to this discussion on November 27, 2007

I disagree regarding Sponseller. Ohio State wants to challenge for a national title this year and Sponseller gives you a much better chance to score points at the Big 10's/NCAA level than Campbell. Will it be difficult for Colt to come in midway through the season and be compete, absolutely. I see the benefits of a redshirt/extra year but I also think wrestling this year will help Sponseller be even more prepared for next year. Go Bucks!

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on November 27, 2007

The question to ask of you're a Buckeye fan who's looking to bring home a NCAA team title is, will Sponseller be better now or in four years? The answer is almost always take the fifth year. Imagine if C.P. Schlatter wouldn't have red-shirted. He would have ended his career a 1X AA (still not too shabby). But now in his 5th year, he has a legit title shot...a fact that was not true as a true-frosh. You think Rowlands regrets taking a red-shirt?

Ohio State doesn't have the guns to win the Big Ten or NCAA this year, and they won't have it next year. But, if recruiting stays strong, then Sponseller can be the heart and soul of a championship contender his red-shirt sophomore, junior and senior seasons.

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next