Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2

Discussion Topic: Ohio State 37, Rutgers 0
Dan Cosimi added to this discussion on November 27, 2007

Quote from Scott Nicola's post:

"Ohio State wants to challenge for a national title this year"

That would be awesome but can we realistically do that?

"Will it be difficult for Colt to come in midway through the season and be compete, absolutely."

Against #1 Mark Perry, #2 Eric Tannenbaum, #4 Matt Coughlin, etc. it will be very difficult. Coming into this season I thought Sponseller would do excellent and be a surprise AA. Losing this training time and coming back from an injury is going to make it a lot tougher.

"I see the benefits of a redshirt/extra year but I also think wrestling this year will help Sponseller be even more prepared for next year."

Even more prepared, yes, but it will cost him a year of eligibility.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

John Ice added to this discussion on November 27, 2007

Do these kids have a choice about redshirting? What if a kid wants to graduate in 4 years and get on with his life. Everyone makes it sound like there is no choice in the redshirt and it is a simple thing to say that a kid should take it. Maybe he doesn't want to.

Scott Nicola added to this discussion on November 27, 2007

Most of the guys in question are on scholarship (I know Sponseller isn't getting much currently but he will be) so it is really the choice of the coach/school whether they want to pay for the kid to go to school for an extra year. Plus, I don't know Sponseller but he seems like a pretty competitive guy,my betis he would want to help the team now.

Scott Nicola added to this discussion on November 27, 2007

Would it change people's oppinion if Sponseller competed unattached in a few opens and is showed that he is competitive on this level right now?

Tony Bradberry added to this discussion on November 27, 2007

In the end it is the coachs decision on redshirts, but if a kid is going to leave in 4 years wether he has used all of his eligability or not has to be taken into consideration.

Scott Nicola added to this discussion on November 28, 2007

Does this sound like a guy who wants to redshirt?
http://www.flocasts.org/flowrestling/speakers.php?sid=587&vid=5704

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on November 28, 2007

Scott--I like how you're fighting for "position" here. To add strength to your point, one should consider that holding out Sponseller for the rest of the season doesn't guarantee he won't suffer future injury. Guys get hurt a lot in D1; rare is the competitor that doesn't miss significant time at some point. If he were to wrestle in a few open events and looked impressive, it would make it difficult not to start him.

Now for "the hijack": Can the Bucks actually contend for a national title?

Not likely but here's what I think would have to happen.

First, I think you need at least 3 and probably 4 finalists because you need to score a ton of points and outside of your big 4 who's gonna do it? I see Pucillo and Bergman as potential finalists; Palmer and/or Jaggers would need to make it as well.

Secondly, you need a huge tourney out of guys that have no track record of scoring big at nationals. Your most likely duo are Enright/Humphrey and Picazo. Truthfully, I see Enright as having the better shot because he's the guy that has shown the ability to beat top competitors in the past (just not enough of them). Picazo? He's come a long way in his career but nothing in the early going suggests that he's entirely comfortable at this lower weight class.

Weakley and Triggas are not realistic possibilities to score; qualifying for them would be fantastic.

This leaves Johnstone, and, ahem, Sponseller. Simply put--don't bet on it. But I've always liked Jason Johnstone. He's a thinking man's wrestler and what he lacks in horsepower he tries to make up in savvy. He'd need to get hot at the end of the season and start winning the close ones that have eluded him in the past.

Sponseller would have to be healthy and able to get out on bottom. His takedown skills are superb. If Kurt Gross can recover from a heart problem and win a state title, then Sponseller can return from injury and have an impact. But, again, it would be unrealistic to expect him to become an AA in D1 as a true frosh who missed a few months due to injury.

Oh, Minnesota would have to suffer injuries to a few key wrestlers because of their scoring potential; Ohio State would have to be pretty much perfect.

Piece of cake.

Roe Fox added to this discussion on November 28, 2007

I think the Sponseller interview shows us a dedicated kid who doesn't want to redshirt but will likely do what his coach wants. I know it has been reported that Ryan is putting the best wrestlers on the mat. My thought is that had he come back when first reported (I thought it was originally reported to be the end of November) rather than end of December, let him give it a go. If he can't make it back before the end of the year, learning during the better part of the dual season does seem like a burnt year for little return, at least from a personal standpoint.

If Ohio St. wants the best dual team at all times on the mat, then he goes this year because it seems to be the universal opinion that even coming back late he is the better wrestler at 165.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2