Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Don Pritzlaff resigns from his coaching position at the University of Wisconsin
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on June 13, 2011

Pritzlaff is leaving Wisconsin. He is widely considered to be the reason for the programs rise in recent years. I wonder if any of their recent recruits (McCauley) will reconsider their commitments?

McCauley was planning to spend next season in Colorado Springs so he could change his mind if he hasn't signed.

http://intermatwrestle.com/articles/8630

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Discussion Topic: Don Pritzlaff resigns from his coaching position at the University of Wisconsin

Rumors...

Pritzlaff heading to Michigan after being fired by Wiscy AD, Barry Alvarez. Supposedly, Pritzlaff wanted the head job and they chose to stick with Barry Davis.

If true, the Wisconsin program could lose a lot of recently committed talent. And I'm not just talking about recruits.

Andrew Howe?

Rex Holman added to this discussion on June 13, 2011

Coaches can make or break athletes.

Howe is established but still benefits greatly from Pritzlaff, I suspect we will see how deep that relationship is. If he feels indebted to Wisconsin, he stays, If he feels Pritzlaff is vital to his continued success, he goes with him.

McCauley should definitely revisit his plans. In either case.

I wonder if it is still possible that we see him in a Buckeye uniform or if Pritzlaff goes to UM as a Wolverine.

I believe we are starting to see some of the type actions in the wrestling world that we have been watching in the football world. Athletes are weighing their decisions more heavily upon coaches rather than the culture of the program and university. Maybe it has always been that way.

You are only given a couple chances in life to shine as an athlete, there is no shame in owing allegiance to the hand that gets you there. Question is, which hand?

No confirmation yet but it appears that the rest of the assistants will also be leaving. This is a huge blow to a program that had risen in recent years and just finished putting together one of the best recruiting classes in the country.

Rex Holman added to this discussion on June 13, 2011

Something is amiss in the heartland

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on June 13, 2011

Question - does this make Isaac and Bo Jordan more viable for OSU? I kind of thought they would follow the Jordan tradition to Madison.

Ethan...interesting question.

This story intrigued me so much that I followed a link and listened to an interview with Pritzlaff after he decided not to take the job at American. Pritzlaff made it clear that he saw himself as a future head coach but didn't feel American was the right fit.

I think it's possible that Pritzlaff decided to press the issue with AD Alvarez as to when he could take over the reigns in Wisconsin. After all, he is widely considered a key factor in the rise of Wisconsin wrestling and recruiting. Somehow this led to him either being canned or resigning (some rumors that he was asked to resign). The only certainty is that it changes the dynamics at a school which was rapidly rising as an elite program.

The obvious question--Destin McCauley chose Wisconsin over Ohio State in what appeared to amount to little more than a "gut" feeling as to which program to attend. Will McCauley, who planned to attend the OTC in Colorado Springs next fall, reconsider his committment? There is no recruit who would better fit into Ohio State's future lineup as he projects at 149-157.

Ethan's questions are also valid.

Last thought--remember when Iowa State pushed out Bobby Douglas to give the job to Cael Sanderson. It looks to me as if Wiscy chose to back Davis over Pritzlaff.

Ben Golden added to this discussion on June 18, 2011

Add Jared Frayer to the list of Wisconsin assistants that have left. Ruschell, Pritzlaff, Frayer. Gone, gone, gone.

What is going on in Madison?!?!?!?

Rex Holman added to this discussion on June 18, 2011

Wrestlers are realizing their worth/value.

That and a fundamental breakdown in communication

Probably some hard feelings, too

Ben Golden added to this discussion on June 18, 2011

If they were just realizing their value, you'd think they wouldn't be going elsewhere to be coaches. Seems to me that something had to happen.

Nicholas Sestito added to this discussion on June 18, 2011

With this breakdown on the coaching end of things, an opportunity will open up for Ohio State to make inroads with the Jordan family.

► Add to the Discussion