Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: 4th Ohio Wrestling Newsletter
Jude Roth added to this discussion on November 30, 2007

This OAC Newsletter is the fourth in a series of newsletters that will go out to those interested in keeping up with what the Ohio Athletic Committee has in store for the 2007-2008 season. It is designed to keep you informed and to spark conversation about Ohio wrestling. There will be more newsletters to follow, periodically throughout the year. We invite you to log on to the OAC web site and send in suggestions and comments. Please keep in mind that it is not practical to believe that everything suggested will be acted upon but it does give us insight to what the general wrestling community would like to see for Ohio wrestling.

Breaking News:
The Ohio State Buckeye Wrestling Team lead by Coach Tom Ryan is offering ALL of Ohio youth wrestlers a great promotional package. The package includes a ticket to the Iowa match Friday January 18, 2008 at 7:00 PM, a t-shirt and the OSU 2006-07 highlight DVD. The cost for all of this is just $10.00. Please check the attachment included with this newsletter for the order form and instructions.
The OAC encourages you to take advantage of their generosity. Please show your thanks to the Buckeye Wrestling Team for their support of Ohio’s youth wrestlers, by attending the OSU/Iowa Dual Meet.

The Ohio School of Wrestling along with Ohio University and The Ohio State University Wrestling Teams will be conducting a free clinic during the weigh in period of the Jr. High and Grade School State Tournaments. This clinic is no cost and is open to all wrestlers, not just the state qualifiers. This is a great opportunity for your wrestlers to learn from Ohio’s Greatest Wrestlers.

Team and Club State Championships for Grade School
The Grade School entry form contains a drop down box with leagues and team listings. A wrestler can select the league and team that they have wrestled for during the year. The wrestler’s team points earned at the state tournament will be calculated and scored for that team. The teams that will be competing with each other are members of the following leagues:
a) Cincinnati Youth Wrestling Association
b) Miami Valley Kids Wrestling Association
c) Ohio United Regional Wrestling Association for Youth
d) Ohio Youth Wrestling League
e) Southern Ohio Youth Wrestling League

Any coach that has a community based team that is not a member of the above leagues and would like to be included in the team competition MUST email me so I may put your team name in the drop down box under independent teams. If your team has wrestlers that are from various school districts they must compete as a CLUB.

There will a Team Championship and Runner-Up Award for divisions 1 and 2 combined; as well as a League Championship and Runner-Up Award for divisions 1 and 2 combined. There will be a separate Team Championship and Runner-Up Award for divisions 3 and 4 combined and a League Championship and Runner-Up Award for divisions 3 and 4 combined.

Club teams will be competing for a Club State Championship and Runner-Up Award with all 4 divisions combined. I need All Club Coaches to contact me (juderoth@ohioathletics.com) so that I may include your club on the entry form page for drop down box selection.

Jr. High Conference/League State Championship
The Jr. High entry form contains a drop down box with leagues and team listings. A wrestler can select the Conference/League of his Jr. High/High School. If he is unsure which one that he belongs to he can click on the league and it has a listings of all the schools within each league. We will be keeping team scores by Conference/League to determine which one is the toughest in the state.

New events for 2008-2009:
The OAC will be conducting the first ever Tag Team State Championships in 2009. This event was initially introduced in 2007 but was postponed due to a number of conflicts. The 2009 Jr. High State Championships will take place on a Friday and Saturday with the Tag Team State Championship taking place on Sunday. More details will come out at a later date.

The OAC is looking into a new system for seeding the Jr. High and Grade School Districts for 2008-2009. Over the years we have had many complaints/concerns about the current system of using the record that is submitted as the seeding criteria. We are working with existing tournaments and possibly implementing other tournaments that would be considered as seeding tournaments. A wrester would receive seeding points based on the place they take at these events.
1st place = 14 points
2nd place = 10 points
3rd place = 7 points
4th place = 4 point
Participation = 1 point

Seeding Criteria would be as follows:
Seeding Criteria for 2009
1. Returning State Placer
2. Returning State Qualifier
3. Total Seed Points
A wrestler can compete in as many of these tournaments as they wish. They could compete at any weight with their seed points accumulated. Their seed points would follow them to whatever weight class they enter for the District tournament. We are paying close attention to the league schedules around the state and will not host a seeding event on the same date as a league commitment in a particular area. There would be no more than 5 tournaments in each district area and the tournaments would take place from April – January, which will spread out the events over the entire year. A wrestler could participate in any of these seed tournaments not just those designated to their district. The OAC web page would track, post and update after each tournament the wrestlers name and seed point total for him and anyone to view. It will be a seed/ranking list.
If you and your wrestling group would like to host one of these events please contact me ASAP! If you have an existing event and would like to increase your numbers by becoming a sanctioned seeding tournament please contact me as well. Many are already in place. Special consideration will be given to schools that host an Ohio School of Wrestling camp this summer. Please read Ohio School of Wrestling Update below.

There are many other events under development and will be discussed at a later date.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Discussion Topic: 4th Ohio Wrestling Newsletter
Jude Roth added to this discussion on November 30, 2007

We need your help:
The Ohio Athletic Committee is conducting a poll to explore the interest in participation for a one day, NO entry fee and No admission fee tournament for physically and or mentally challenged youth. This event would be a competition and instructional tournament that would allow the officials to work with both wrestles during the matches if needed. We would group wrestlers not only by weight and age but also by the degree of physical/mental ability. All wrestlers would receive an award for their participation not their placement. We would be looking at possibly doing this either the day before or the day after the Grade School State in 2009. If you know of someone that would like to participate in an event like this please go to the OAC web site to participate in the poll. We will not know if this will be initiated next year until we receive and evaluate your feedback.

WE URGE ALL COACHES:
- Post your contact information on the Coaches Directory page of the OAC web site.
- Post ANY and ALL of your youth tournaments on the OAC web site. This will help raise your entry numbers by a good percentage. THERE IS NO FEE for this.
- Post ANY and ALL of your youth tournaments on the OAC web site. This will help raise your entry numbers by a good percentage. THERE IS NO FEE for this.
- Post ANY and ALL of Jr. High or High School team’s tournaments on the OAC web site. This will help your fans and others to be informed so they can attend your events.
- Sign up for the OAC Newsletter. If your coach is not getting this newsletter, PLEASE print this newsletter out so that he can be aware or these free services and be up to date with wrestling news from around the state.

Ohio School of Wrestling Update:
There are only 3 dates that are fully open for hosting a camp this summer. They are:
July 28-31
August 4-7
August 11-14
Special consideration for hosting a 2008-2009 seeding tournament will be given to schools that host a camp. If you would like more information on hosting a camp and raising funds for your program contact me (juderoth@ohioathletics.com) ASAP!

Ohio School of Wrestling 2008 Tentative Dates
Date Location
June 16-19 Norwalk High School
Ashland Crestview High School
Oak Harbor High School
Can schedule one more camp

June 23-26 Nelsonville-York High School
Canal Winchester High School
Thomas Worthington High School

June 30-July 2 East Liverpool High School
Austintown-Fitch High School
New Philadelphia

July 7-10 Coshocton High School
Newark Catholic
Smithville High School
Marlington High School

July 14-17 Wauseon High School
Montpelier High School
Tinora High School
Bowling Green High School

July 21-24 Xenia High School
Mason Middle School
Washington C.H

July 28-31 Can schedule three or four
August 4-7 Can schedule three or four
August 11-14 Can schedule three or four

August 18-21 Tiffin High School
St. Joe High School
Can schedule two more camps

The Officials View:
As the days become colder, my attention turns toward the coming wrestling season. As a wrestling official, I have had multiple local association meetings and have been to our required rules interpretation meeting. We prepare, as referees, for the return to the mats, by brushing upon our rules knowledge and mechanics.

There have been a few rules changes this season on the high school level that will affect the action and these changes should require little effort to implement. First, there is another option of starting position on the restart when one wrestler is in the controlling position. The top wrestler may choose to start in the neutral position and the bottom wrestler will be awarded a one point escape and the wrestlers restarted in the neutral position. This may occur at any restart. For instance, after an out-of-bounds, at the start of a period and the wrestler with choice chooses down, after injury or blood, the top wrestler can choose neutral.

Another change in the rules this year requires a wrestler with braces to wear a mouth guard. If the wrestler has a top and bottom row of braces, the guard must protect both the top and bottom teeth.

Sportsmanship has been a point of emphasis every year and it is always the first thing I address in my pre-meet duties and the first item I mention to the captains at the coin-toss. These measures remind the coaches and contestants that we expect the teams to maintain good bench decorum and sportsmanship throughout a contest. But it does not address the spectators.

The contestants are our children. Our sons or daughters, neighbor boys and girls, grandkids and win or lose, they deserve our respect for the effort they put forth in the contest. So I beg you, please applaud the effort, of both participants, and not the result.

Larren Wikel
Vice-President,
South Shore Wrestling Officials Association

Wrestlers, coaches, and fans:

Since our website was started in 2005, we've come a long way toward providing the best coverage we can for the wrestling community in Ohio. Now we need your help to keep us going.

Currently I am the only person working on the inner-workings of the website. We have a few staff members who contribute information and material to post on the website, and that is awesome, but we need more people on the inside and the outside to help keep this website running. If we had double the help, we'd get double the coverage out to you, but we have to work with what we actually have. Some people we've been associated with have expressed to me that they feel slighted because of a lack of coverage. Trust me, we're not slighting anyone, I just don't have the time to cover everything. If we had double the help, we'd get double the work done, but we have to work with what we actually have. Every bit counts.

If you like the job we've done, if you want to see this website grow, if you want better wrestling coverage, if you just want to get your local school some attention, then please join us in promoting and covering our sport and ask your friends and family if they would like to be involved. Our email address is: staff@ohiowrestling.net

Thank you and good luck this season!

Dan Cosimi
OhioWrestling.Net

Anyone want to purchase a new mat at a discount?

Dollamur is offering the following to any of our Ohio Coaches if purchased through the OAC State Tournament:

Dollamur Wrestling Mat 30’ x 30’ x 1.25” $4,395
Flexi-Roll feature – FREE
The Jr. High and Grade School State has been offered this rate for any mats to be used at the State Tournaments and are yours to take home after the championships. If you are interested in this please contact me at juderoth@ohioathletics.com.

Want to get news out about your tournament?
If you have any wrestling news that you would like to submit for the next OAC Newsletter please send the information to me via email juderoth@ohioathletics.com. The newsletter goes out to several thousand subscribers and can be a very good way to market any event you may have. Also, if you have a good wrestling story you would like to submit you can email me that as well.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

► Add to the Discussion