Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: New Coach for Sandusky St. Mary Central Catholic
Brendan Moody added to this discussion on July 19, 2007

I was under the impression that this job was lined up for Drew Opfer. Just curious to hear why they went another way, and if Drew is still with the program.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on July 20, 2007

Who is the new coach?

Ted Tonn added to this discussion on July 20, 2007

Longtime asst. Mark Hiemstra has been named as the new head coach at SMCC. He will continue to do a great job there.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on July 20, 2007

My impression of Mark is that he is a highly organized, level-headed individual. I have no doubt he has the ability to continue the success that SSM's has enjoyed.

Gregg Heinrichs added to this discussion on July 20, 2007

I have known Mark for the past 5 or so years. We met him the first time that we went to the Barn to wrestle. He is a terrific person and a super coach. His attitude is tremendous and infectious. He and Coach Rick Bellamy are amazing. Best of luck to the SMCC panthers.

Dan Cosimi added to this discussion on July 24, 2007

http://www.sanduskyregister.com/articles/2007/07/19/sports/344227.txt

Heimstra hired as SMCC wrestling coach
Dan Angelo - Sandusky Register
July 18, 2007

The torch of St. Mary Central Catholic wrestling was officially been passed Tuesday when long-time assistant coach Mark Heimstra was named as the next coach of the program.

It just took longer than anticipated.

"I've been doing this for 20-some years and have enjoyed every day of it," he said. "My feeling at one point was it was good to bring in younger kids (to coach) and pass the torch. I love the school, I love the kids. I enjoyed my time coaching, but I felt to be fair, if the right person was available, it seemed to be the right time to make this opportunity available.

"If you talked to Jude, he would say he took the spot until someone else better comes along. I'm taking it under the same premise."

Heimstra takes over for Jude Roth, who stepped down as head coach at the conclusion of the 2006-07 season.

"We had five people seriously interested in the job," SMCC athletic director Denny Faber said. "We spoke with four, and Mark was the best fit for us. He has certainly stepped up and said he wanted to be involved in leading the sport for us.

"He knows the sports, he knows our athletes, he knows our conference and the teams we compete against. We're glad he found a way to work through his busy work schedule to be our coach, and we gave him time to make sure it was going to be OK from his end."

Heimstra is the chief operating office of the Sandusky Bay Area Goodwill Industries, Inc.

"That's probably one of the bigger reasons why I was hesitant," he said. "I don't want to disrupt kids' schedule. We're probably going to have to push practice back, and incorporate our weight lifting until right after school."

The 1982 Edison graduate has spent 13 years with Goodwill, working as senior vice president, vice president of marketing services and customer service representative.

Heimstra has been part of the program for 20 years under Jude Roth, who retired from the position at the end of the 2006-07 season. During that time, the Panthers won seven Division III state championships with five in a row.

"Jude was the keeper of when we had to be places, and as an assistant I got to be a kid more," Heimstra said. "Moving forward, I'll probably have to let go of some of that, but not that much.

"I don't know how much of what we're currently doing will be different. My personal desire is to spend a little more time developing leaders, and not just with the wrestling program. We are not only helping kids wrestle, we are helping to develop leaders of tomorrow."

He will also have the assistance of a proven staff as Rick Bellamy, a former state wrestling champ, Brad Petracka, Tanner Shearer, a three-time state champ while at SMCC and Aaron Volz all plan to return as assistants.

"Things are not going to change a whole lot," Heimstra said. "Aaron's been here for 12, 15 years, and Rick's been here since he was at Perkins, which has been four years now. Tanner and Brad are the newest guys, but all the people have been involved and understand the dynamics of coaching and kids.

"There are all there for the right reasons."

Heimstra is a 1982 Edison graduate who was a three year letter winner in wrestling and a state qualifier as a senior.

"I came up to practice to roll around with the kids, and just kind of stuck," Heimstra said, "After a few practices, Jude gave me a blazer and asked me if I wanted to stay around."

In the 20 years since, he has worked with 23 state champions, while helping the Panthers add four runner-up state finishes to the seven championships. The team also won the Sandusky Bay Conference XX times,

"I think we are very fortunate to be in the conference we're in," Heimstra said. "It's a great conference with great rivalries ad great people involved. I know the kids look forward to it."

"We're certainly not going to lower our expectations. The expectations are always to do as much you are physically able to do."

► Add to the Discussion