Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2

Discussion Topic: Some Thoughts on Vegas
Jack Muni added to this discussion on December 3, 2007

I didn't see Pucillo/Todd match yet, but as to some of the comments: I was at the OSU/Mich dual last year where Mike built up a good lead only to have Todd come back in the 3rd with some TD's. Todd must have really good endurance. And I'm sure he's getting accustomed to Mike's tendancies on his feet. From here on out he'll have to wrestle smart against this guy.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Scott Nicola added to this discussion on December 3, 2007

Dan,
Although he has not put it together with the consistency of Humphrey, Enright definitely has been able to produce some big wins (Simmons, Reiter, Rivera). How is Enright's weight and health?

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on December 3, 2007

Quote from Scott Nicola's post:

"Dan,
Although he has not put it together with the consistency of Humphrey, Enright definitely has been able to produce some big wins (Simmons, Reiter, Rivera)."

Additionally, how do you know that he wouldn't have done just as well in Vegas? Enright started season ranked 6th as many studs had graduated. I don't see how staff doesn't allow a wrestleoff. I'm glad it's not my decision.

Mark Viviani added to this discussion on December 3, 2007

Its only fair to Enright to have a wrestle off. I'm guessing he's not healthy yet and they will wrestle off in the future.

Dan Cosimi added to this discussion on December 3, 2007

Enright beating Simmons is as big of a win as it gets. He should definitely have just as much of a chance at getting the starting spot as Humphrey does. As was said above, who's to say that Enright wouldn't have gotten third or better at this tournament as well? They should, and will, wrestle-off.

Warren Edwards added to this discussion on December 3, 2007

Here is The Ozone.com's write up of Vegas.

http://theozone.net/wrestling/2007-2008/LasVegas/daytwo.htm

Missouri's Askren losing is a big upset.

Pat Costilow added to this discussion on December 3, 2007

I can't see Enright not getting a wrestleoff. From one perspective, he is one of those guys who I would love to see do well. From all accounts, he has put himself through the grinder in order to hold 133. On the other hand, I like what I see out of Reece, and think he has the better chance to do well right now. He and Enright seem to be close, and as much as a shame as it would be to sit a senior who has started his whole career, I think in the long run, sitting Reece this year might hurt more.

After all, isn't this what we have been calling for? Multiple legitimate guys at each weight? Situations like this are a product of the type of recruiting that has gone on the last two years, and as fun as it is to look at the guys coming into the room, only ten come out each weekend. It would be ugly to see Enright sit, but Ryan has said all along that the best wrestler takes the spot, regardless of age. This led to Lance starting last year. While I am not necessarily saying that Reece is clearly better than Enright, I have a hard time seeing Enright as being better than Reece. Reece is putting it together consistently, whereas in three years of starting, we have not seen Enright do that.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on December 4, 2007

Yea, it's like pick a guy who can beat anyone on any given day, T.J. Enright; pick a guy most likely to string 4 or five victories in a row in a tounament, Reece Humphrey. ???? <crazy>

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on December 4, 2007

Quote from Jack Muni's post:

"Yea, it's like pick a guy who can beat anyone on any given day, T.J. Enright; pick a guy most likely to string 4 or five victories in a row in a tounament, Reece Humphrey. ???? <crazy>"

Well put.

Don Bork added to this discussion on December 4, 2007

I, to, am one of the many TOSU fans who hoped to see Enright blossom over the past few years. He, of course deserves a wrestle off, as does any wrestler on the roster, and in particlar T.J. due to his past successes. That being said, the coaching staff has to make the final call on who competes based on who they believe will be most successful in competition, not in the practice room. T.J.'s style hurts him. He is not agressive on his feet, choosing instead to wrestle a defensive match. And though he is a good takedown man when choosing to shoot,usually late in periods, he does not ride well. Humphrey, on the other hand is the opposite. He is much more aggressive offensively going after the takedown and does ride well. I, for one would rather see our wrestlers wrestling aggressively and pushing the action. Tough choice for Ryan and the staff, but as has been said, this is what we've been wanting at TOSU, a team deep in talent and with options.After all, if we lost a starter for the season this year due to injury or academics anywhere between 133 and 157, we can still fill all those weights with a highly competitive wrestler. Just one other thought, I, also, would like to see Sponseller on the mat this year if his health allows by late Dec. or the first week or two of Jan. Another tough call for staff.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2