Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: One Addition for Overtime Rules
Nicholas Sestito added to this discussion on December 2, 2007

After watching the Pucillo vs. Todd match I wonder if it's time to add a rule for tied up matches. Watching the old freestyle matches if a match was tied at the end, whoever had the more big point scores won the match. What if we applied this here? Whoever has more of the big moves compared to their opponent wins the match. It would cut down on some of the overtimes and encourage wrestlers to score bigger moves. On the flipside it might take out the possibility of the underdog to come back from a tied match and win it dramatically in overtime. Opinions?

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on December 2, 2007

Nick:
Let's say a wrestler hits a headlock in the first period (like Bergman vs Sauer) and then sits on his lead (like Bergman did). If the losing wrestler fights back and scores a takedown to tie in the last few seconds, is it really fair not to put the match in OT? Styles are styles; some guys like throws, some guys like leg attacks. Your rule change would favor the thrower unfairly IMO.

I respect the idea but we'd have to tinker with the application. Or, we could be like FILA and just have some arbitrary, unfair rule like the wrestler to score last wins in case of tie--which is the current freestyle/greco rule.

Nicholas Sestito added to this discussion on December 2, 2007

Now the application of this rule would be considered in number of big moves, so Bergman hits a big throw and gets 2 for TD and 3 for NF, let's say his opponent scores 2 for Reversal and 2 for NF or something. Later the opponent scores an escape and say nothing happens from there. We go to overtime still because J.D. got 2 big point moves and the opponent scored 2 big point moves and they tied. I don't think it favors the thrower as although a well executed throw can give a wrestler a better position to score NF it doesn't happen so often; a leg attacking wrestler can still score of take downs and NF with some work.

I just don't like the idea we get into a situation where say one person has exectued say 2 takedowns and the opponent executes two escapes and a takedown and they're tied up, I feel that the wrestler who has gotten two takedowns did more work. I know some will dispute me on that and one's ability to ride and can be extremely difficult, etc.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on December 2, 2007

Nicholas, then they guy with 2 TD's should have taken bottom and escaped. All positions in wrestling should be rewarded and those points should all add the same. Just because we, especially in OH, value feet wrestling so much more, shouldn't influence sound judgment. IF you can't escape, then you better not get taken down -- ever.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on December 2, 2007

Nick--I've seen far worse occur thanks to the omnipresent stalling call. One wrestler will gets 4 takedowns while the other gets kickout escapes. Then, the third period rolls around, bottom guy gets out and is down 8-5. One guy has 5 escapes, the other has 4 tds. The wrestler that's losing figures out how not to give up the same move repeatedly and begins pushing the other guy. The ref starts signaling stalling and next thing you know, there's 20 seconds left and one guy is down by one because he's gotten 5 escapes and 2 stall points. The winning wrestler panics, takes a bad shot, gives up the two, and the less skilled/deserving wrestler wins. And everyone acts like it was a great match! It wasn't. The ref gave points to the less skilled guy for pushing--not for getting a TD. No consideration is granted to the guy who showed superior skill. That's why I hate the stall call. And I don't think wrestlers should be allowed to let an opponent go. You should have to ride, and if neither man can improve, call a stalemate and put them back on their feet.

► Add to the Discussion