Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19  Next

Discussion Topic: National Duals
John Ice added to this discussion on January 23, 2012

http://www.nwcaonline.com/NWCAWebSite/Events/nwcanationalduals/mat-mayhem

Buckeyes get a 1 seed?

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on January 23, 2012

Oklahoma State is probably your one seed, and deservedly so. Would Nebraska get the two based on their recent win over tOSU or would Ohio State get it after their impressive showing in the Iowa dual?

Jason L. Jackson added to this discussion on January 23, 2012

From what I've read, the seeding will be based on the current weeks coaches rankings. However, if a team has a head to head win over the team seeded directly above them, the seeds will be swapped.

Based on the January 17th (pre-Iowa beating) rankings, the seeds would look like this:

1. Oklahoma State
2. Nebraska
3. Ohio State
4. Wyoming
5. Chattanooga
6. Boise

Ohio State's problem is that they lost to Nebraska head to head. Even if they jump them in the rankings, they would get jumped in the seedings, unless Nebraska dropped below Wyoming.

Also, Nebraska has a head to head win over Wyoming, so, even if they drop below them in the rankings, would they jump both Wyoming and OSU based on those wins.

Either way, I'm booking OSU for the third seed and a date with Boise. Boise has 1 ranked wrestler, Ivanov at 157. This could be a shutout.

After that would be a return matchup with the Huskers. If the Bucks wrestle like they did against Iowa, they win this match. Quite frankly, I see a match for match repeat with 141 being the only one that could reverse itself (maybe heavy). In addition, I see Bonus for Logan this time.

If they sneak past Nebraska this time, then they get Okie State. Another winnable match, but they would need to wrestle at their best.

Either way, I see OSU starting as the 3 seed and having to win 3 matches to get through.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on January 23, 2012

NEB wil be seeded over ohio st, head to head is the holy grail to college coaches.

John Ice added to this discussion on January 23, 2012

What was I thinking? Of course Ok St gets the 1 seed but maybe Fridays win gets the Buckeyes a 2.
Seedings will go off the national coaches poll.
It is possible that Nebraska could end up the 4 seed as they have Penn State and Minnesota on the schedule before the national duals.

Patrick Campbell added to this discussion on January 24, 2012

I appreciate you posting that link John. When you look at those regions it has to make you smile if you are a college wrestling fan. Although it's true that there are only a couple of schools in each region with the depth to win the region in a dual tourny, how great are all of those teams across the board? I know we have lost some programs the past few years (and it sucks), but man there are a lot of good D1 programs out there with quality programs that really develop wrestlers well. The numbers of teams are down, but the quality of college wrestling right now is pretty exciting. Events like this make it great.

We need a place with about 16 big screen TVs to set down and watch all of this going on at once. That would be a little slice of heavan on Earth (especially if there was a trout stream smack dab in the middle of said place).

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 24, 2012

You'd also need good corned beef and pastrami to go with the trout stream and the big screens.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on January 24, 2012

I might play the next power-ball lottery. Stay tuned...

"Format Information:

Each region will have three rounds with the teams being seeded 1-6. In the first round, seeds 1 and 2 will receive a bye with seeds 3 and 6 and 4 and 5 wrestling each other. The winners from the first round matches will move into the semifinals for round 2 against the 1st and 2nd seed. The winners of the semifinal matches will then advance to the final round. At the same time the final round is being wrestled, the first round teams that lost will wrestle their second match. Semifinal losers will NOT wrestle for third place."

Kind of stinks that they don't wrestle for 3rd. Whatevs.

Patrick Campbell added to this discussion on January 24, 2012

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"You'd also need good corned beef and pastrami to go with the trout stream and the big screens."

I know a guy for that, we just need the venue :) I can live without the trout stream if necessary.

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on January 24, 2012

I would prefer they get the 4 seed so hopfully we can see Oliver vs. Stieber and I think we have a better chance of seeing this match if they are the 4 seed.

Right now Nebraska & Wyoming are ranked ahead of OSU.

Mike Hojnacki added to this discussion on January 24, 2012

The regions look very balanced and should make for some absolutely fantastic dual meets. I wasn't sure how I felt about the new format this year, but I think it will turn out well.

Mike Hojnacki added to this discussion on January 24, 2012

Kent State will also be in some scraps with Cal Poly, Michigan, Minnesota, Rutgers, and of course their growing rivalry with Missouri.

John Ice added to this discussion on February 6, 2012

http://www.okstate.com/sports/m-wrestl/spec-rel/national-duals-2012.html

Jack Muni added to this discussion on February 6, 2012

I don't know how set those lineups are, but without Hunter & Heflin chances are pretty slim for any wins or upsets. I'm hoping they just grabbed the lineup from the last match of all the teams. They still show Kindig for OKLA. St. and he got suspended.

Ben Golden added to this discussion on February 6, 2012

Tom Ryan said they were hoping to have Hunter back for Nat'l Duals, so there would seem to be a chance.

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19  Next