Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Chris Phillips
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on December 10, 2007

I watched three of his bouts last night on flowrestling and was blown away. His timing on his shots is extraordinary. It reminds me of Cael Sanderson--who made everything look so effortless that you lost sight that he was crushing otherwise excellent wrestlers. His career has hardly begun yet he handled Roddy rather easily--and Roddy is superb.

What surprises me as much as his takedown skills, however, is that he wasn't being overpowered by older, experienced upperclassmen. The reason frosh rarely have a major impact at upperwts is due to the strength difference. Yet it didn't seem to faze Phillips. Indeed, without knowing he was a frosh, I would have watched these videos and merely assumed he was the same age as his opponents.

It would also be easy to miss how good his defense is. In his earlier match against a N. Allegheny opponent, he defended several excellent shots. Indeed his defense in that bout won him the match as you could see his opponent lose faith. Roddy had one good single, leg in the air. Phillips kicked out of it and left Roddy holding air.

I won't speculate on how good Phillips can be or what he might accomplish. But his Ironman performance may go down as the most memorable in the storied history of this great event.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Joe Boardwine added to this discussion on December 10, 2007

I agree with you Hank.

I don't want to ad to the tremendous pressure this kid will face as he continues in his HS career..... but - wow, I was impressed. His match control, defense and power were unbelievable for a frosh.

Matt Miller added to this discussion on December 10, 2007

What a performance by Phillips all weekend...Kid is a stud!

► Add to the Discussion