Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Phillips' future weight class?
Scott Nicola added to this discussion on December 11, 2007

I can't help but thinking after watching Flo that Phillips was the bigger man against Roddy (it may have looked different in person). That said, does Phillips continue to grow into a 189, 215 or 285 or does he stay at 171 for 4 years ala Roddy? How big of a guy is Phillips' Dad?

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Aaron LaBatt added to this discussion on December 11, 2007

If he grows like the Thomusseit boys do they will need to add a few weight classes

Tom Elmer added to this discussion on December 11, 2007

Mr. Phillips is a pretty big guy so my guess is Chris grows toward 189. One caveat is to remember before we crown the very talented freshman Phillips is the very talented David Craig who was another incredible high school middleweight. He has struggled in college.

Tony Bradberry added to this discussion on December 11, 2007

I'm sorry David Craig was good, but he was not this good as a freshman at such a high weight.

Dan Ransick added to this discussion on December 11, 2007

Craig also started out at 145 and didn't wrestle at Ironman his freshman year and win it either over the #1 wrestler at 171 in the nation some believe. Phillips is the real deal without a doubt.

Scott Shaw added to this discussion on December 11, 2007

I think that all Tom is saying is that we should not go overboard with praise just yet. Craig was exceptional in high school and now, in college, has done well but nowhere close to his hype.

I think that we all need to just take a step back and enjoy.

Also, I have asked this before but never gotten an answer, so maybe somebody in the know can tell me now. Is Chris Phillips in any way related to the Jeff Phillips that wrestled very well for nearby (nearby Monroeville that is) Norwalk High School in the early 1990's? Jeff Phillips had a monster build like this young man and was mean and nasty on the mat. I am just curious.

Dan Cosimi added to this discussion on December 11, 2007

Whoa there gents...
David Craig was at 145 (usually a very tough, upperclass-laden weight) and went undefeated winning a state title as a freshman. In his first tournament as a sophomore - and up three weight classes - he won the Ironman over defending Fargo champion Rocco Caponi of Akron St. Vincent St. Mary. All he did after that was win two titles in Fargo and go undefeated throughout his career... As far as his college stats go, he competed last year as a true freshman and qualified for the national tournament. The jury is not out on how good he'll be in college yet. Nobody should write him off as an underachiever for not being an AA as a true freshman at 184.

Roddy staying at 171 for four years is an unusual occurrence. I look for Phillips to be up at 189 plus before his career is over.

Ken Ramsey Sr. added to this discussion on December 11, 2007

The Ironman shows the quality of this year's recruiting class, most of the top seniors had trouble and many were beaten by underclassmen. Many of the losses were not close. I must admit that many of the top out-of-state recruits did not compete any better. Looks like a weak national class of seniors.

Last edited by Ken Ramsey Sr. on December 11, 2007; edited 2 times in total

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on December 11, 2007

David Craig made it to the rd of twelve as a true frosh last season. I've read several times that he has moved up to 184 to help the team but is undersized at the weight class. Or perhaps he's hurt? Who knows? One thing you can never be certain of is how hs success will translate in college. I've written several times that Pucillo did well instantly because he's tough on his feet and nearly unridable. Palmer, conversely, is hard to take down and a stud on top. If you have good mat skills in hs, it helps alot. A strategy can be always be devised to stop a good takedown wrestler (except Chris Phillips <smiling> ). But good mat skills pay the bills in college.

Tom Elmer added to this discussion on December 13, 2007

Quote from Scott Shaw's post:

"I think that all Tom is saying is that we should not go overboard with praise just yet. Craig was exceptional in high school and now, in college, has done well but nowhere close to his hype.

I think that we all need to just take a step back and enjoy."

Exactly what I was saying as well and as Dan pointed out, David Craig has tremendous upside but he isn't Cael Sanderson (who never lost a college match) or Dan Gable (who only lost his last college match). While I am also extremely impressed with young Mr. Phillips, some people have him winning four NCAA titles and Olympic gold (figuratively, of course) and I say let's watch, wait and enjoy. Chris is a major talent as his Ironman title as a freshman at 171 pounds proves. There is no doubt about that. He has the potential to be the greatest Ohio has ever produced but let's see him do it first.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on December 13, 2007

Yeah, his "Larry Owings" may be lurking out there, somewhere <cool>

► Add to the Discussion